adster

Is this somewhat decent quality or junk?

Hello all...new member here. I have been lurking for just a short while and have been learning a lot from reading all your posts. I own a small house and I'd like to jump in with an 8 camera capable system, but start with 4 cameras to give me the basic outdoor coverage I need. Before finding this forum, I researched kits that were all inclusive. Many were unacceptable, even to a newbie like myself. I kind of like the price to features aspect of this particular kit as it includes 1 TB hard drive and will record in D1 resolution on all 8 channels at 30FPS. There is also a separate power supply and the cameras are all 520 lines.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11602522

I plan to run Cat5e using baluns with the power pair doubled up. I have a somewhat limited budget and was very attracted to the $600 price...but then I'm old enough to know you get what you pay for. I have thought of putting an "entry level" system together from scratch, but I have two concerns:

1) There is so much equipment out there to choose from, it's a bit overwhelming to the noob.

2) The budget is a consideration. I need the best bang for the buck.

I'd love to hear your opinions of the system I posted. Will it most likely just die someday due to poor build quality? If it's no good, please help by suggesting alternatives, as I will check out all the paths that you suggest. I am not in a hurry and thank you for sharing your expertise and experience with me.

Bob

Security is the protection of information assets through the use of technology, processes, and training. Security Forum is a forum site where you can discussion on security of hardwares

took a look at your forum....... its a TOY compaired to cctvforum.com.

i see you also direct people from your foum to your sales site.

1 of your posts is a Q-see dvr. you then direct the op to your site which is $150 more than sams club.

i think all members here should do your trick and join your forum and direct all your members to a true forum.

copy a paste http://www.cctvforum.com/

Hello all...new member here. I have been lurking for just a short while and have been learning a lot from reading all your posts. I own a small house and I'd like to jump in with an 8 camera capable system, but start with 4 cameras to give me the basic outdoor coverage I need. Before finding this forum, I researched kits that were all inclusive. Many were unacceptable, even to a newbie like myself. I kind of like the price to features aspect of this particular kit as it includes 1 TB hard drive and will record in D1 resolution on all 8 channels at 30FPS. There is also a separate power supply and the cameras are all 520 lines.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11602522

I plan to run Cat5e using baluns with the power pair doubled up. I have a somewhat limited budget and was very attracted to the $600 price...but then I'm old enough to know you get what you pay for. I have thought of putting an "entry level" system together from scratch, but I have two concerns:

1) There is so much equipment out there to choose from, it's a bit overwhelming to the noob.

2) The budget is a consideration. I need the best bang for the buck.

I'd love to hear your opinions of the system I posted. Will it most likely just die someday due to poor build quality? If it's no good, please help by suggesting alternatives, as I will check out all the paths that you suggest. I am not in a hurry and thank you for sharing your expertise and experience with me.

Bob

Hi Bob, I'm also fairly new to the CCTV game and shouldn't be giving out advice but I'll tell you what I did because I bought the exact Costco kit that you are thinking about. It's a decent unit, easy to learn, great capabilities, and the cameras have OK quality images. I was drawn in by the full D1 resolution and that 1T hard drive.

Then I took it back. The DVR sounds like a jet. It has a small fan that turns at high RPM and is noisy as all get out. And I was not impressed with the camera mount mechanism. The "joints" are pretty cheezy and I can see them breaking. And to tell the truth, the big/black RG59 Siamese cable is a bear to hide and the fixed length (60') is either too short or too long.

I purchased a Qvis Apollo (16 channel) and am very happy with it. I'm still in the act of installing some of the 9 cameras I purchased but I've seen enough to recommend the Qvis EYE-N35-V2G-N Outdoor Eyeball Dome Security Camera 2.8-11mm 600 TVL as a good entry level (read affordable) camera. The real plus there is the variable focal length lens. Helps you dial in exactly what you want to see. I purchased a 29 amp power supply from Amazon, baluns from Amazon and Cat5e from Home Depot. Had I stuck with 8 channels and 4 cameras, I'd have spent about the same as the Costco unit.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

...and one more thing:

At first I thought I needed 30fps. I've found that 7fps is good enough. And it uses less than 1/3 of the storage on the HD. That's a plus

...and one more thing:

At first I thought I needed 30fps. I've found that 7fps is good enough. And it uses less than 1/3 of the storage on the HD. That's a plus

Thanks for your input Sam. A few questions for you, if you don't mind. I wonder why QVis over Dahua DVR's and did you get a hard drive pre-installed or add your own?

Do the cameras you recommended look any better on playback than the ones that came with the Qsee?

Thanks,

Bob

I wonder why QVis over Dahua DVR's

For monetary reasons. The Qvis, I believe was a little bit less. I went with the 16 channel.

and did you get a hard drive per-installed or add your own?

I purchased the 500gb HD to get started. I will swap that for a 2tb later on.

Do the cameras you recommended look any better on playback than the ones that came with the Qsee?

You can definitely spend more and get better cameras (just listen to the buzz around here). But these are decidedly better in build quality and better image quality than those in the Qsee kit. With these you can fully adjust the picture settings. What's especially useful is the back light compensation setting, and of course the adjustable focal length.

I'll add that CNB cameras are a really good camera, I use the CNB DFL-20S for indoor and the CNB VCM -24VF outdoor.

For monetary reasons. The Qvis, I believe was a little bit less. I went with the 16 channel.

Sam, could you post a link to the model DVR that you use please?

Thank you.