Dirk_D

Legal Issues? Recording neighbor's activity

You specifically aimed a camera at your neighbors property? That seems like invasion of privacy if you ask me. My cameras catch neighbor activity, but only on the sides and top of each FOV. I did my best to aim my cameras at my property (townhouse) and made every effort to limit the FOV extending onto neighbors properties.

I asked myself.. "Self.. would you want your neighbors aiming cameras at your house?"... and I answered myself.. "Nope."

Jason

Visit your local police station. You may be surprised to learn they'd be very interested in you capturing illegal dealings, and interested in viewing that footage too.

that's pretty much what I figure, but I called them in today after I saw what appeared to be an MRE (reminded me of the last columbian stamped kilo I saw) tossed into their mailbox this afternoon. They wouldn't come grab it while I was outside so I called the Sandy City PD and a couple of neighbors while I sat on my front porch. The cop said "it's just mary kay face wash". "call if you see anything suspicious" "I'll run it by narcotics".

This **** told me that when the cops come to look for him (drug court) his mom stomps on the floor and shouts "the cops are here, the cops are here".

People are pulling in front of my house, passenger jumps out, goes in for 1-5 minutes, & leaves.

People are climbing their fences. They're in/out of the garbage cans continuously until ~3:30am. Other neighbors are complaining.

Somebody needs to tell these Sum-B's to stay off of my lawn! (lol)

I really am sick of this ****.

Wow... I guess I didn't read enough into your original post If I were in your shoes, I might be pointing cameras over there.. infact... I'd have a auto tracking PTZ to capture their every movement... The more evidence for a conviction and a longer prison term... the better Sorry you're having to deal with all that.. as far as the legality.. can't help you answer that question, sorry.

Remember, it's always better to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Jason

Short of a restraining order, "generally" you can stand in front of your neighbors home on the sidewalk and record them all you want.

I think it goes something like this: "Is there an expectation of privacy?" Now if you are recording over their fence, backyard, etc., that is a no go.

If you ask an attorney, calling the police for legal advice is akin to asking me to interpret the law or trusting what you read on the Internet - both not advised!

In regard to recording and the police. If I were in your situation, I would advise them of what you think is going on and provide them with all the information I could gather; names, license plate info., dates and times etc. And let them know that you have CCTV and will provide them with recordings at their request. It is in your interest to be a pest.

I once heard that you can't stop crime/criminal activity, but you can move it from your neighborhood.

Good luck!

I live in a drug zone (next to a supermarket parking lot; the dealer resides in a barber shop across the street). I rarely call the cops because the more you call the more you loose credibility with patrol - unless you know an officer.

With every deal I see I baack up the footage. Often I get the MP digital cam and snap a few pics. Sooner or later you'll meet a cop who cares and he can use the footage. Problem is, in my city, the ****roaches are all over and there are not enough cops.

There is nothing illegal with recording neighbors in most of the US. There are plenty of Youtube videos of "neighbors from hell" caught in the act. About two years ago, I got into a dispute with a neighbor because he was dealing drugs from his house and his visitors were blocking my own driveway as well. I ended up putting up a "Do not block driveway" sign that ended up ripped down. I also ended up with a flat tire when I ran over screws thrown into my driveway. I ended up lining up one side of the house with cameras all pointed at him (total of four). All of my problems suddenly stopped once surveillance was obvious. If your cameras are obvious enough, the "roaches" may scurry like they do when someone turns the lights on.

I rarely call the cops because the more you call the more you loose credibility with patrol - unless you know an officer.

That is an interesting comment. I have never known a cop that did not like having a report of a suspicious vehicle with a license plate # and a good description. They may not get to it, but if they do, your call makes things easier for them. If there is criminal activity going on, many of these characters most likely have warrants, are in possession of paraphernalia or guns and are on searchable probation, etc.

I can't imagine letting a nuisance develop where I live or work. I would work with my neighbors and the landlord of the supermarket to move the criminal activity elsewhere. In most places, there are laws on the books that allow persons or in our case, an entire neighborhood to sue for nuisances. In our state, small claims court, I think $10,000 each and we are fortunate enough to have LE helping the process along. To do so, one needs to document the issue by generating calls for service.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Good luck!

There is nothing illegal with recording neighbors in most of the US. There are plenty of Youtube videos of "neighbors from hell" caught in the act. About two years ago, I got into a dispute with a neighbor because he was dealing drugs from his house and his visitors were blocking my own driveway as well. I ended up putting up a "Do not block driveway" sign that ended up ripped down. I also ended up with a flat tire when I ran over screws thrown into my driveway. I ended up lining up one side of the house with cameras all pointed at him (total of four). All of my problems suddenly stopped once surveillance was obvious. If your cameras are obvious enough, the "roaches" may scurry like they do when someone turns the lights on.

either that or they make your lives hell.

i don't think i would like to make it obvious i was grassing on my neighbours. especially if they were drug dealers.

there is a big 'drug problem' in a neighbouring estate, piss those drug dealers off and they burn your house down/shoot you and your family, etc.

either that or they make your lives hell.

i don't think i would like to make it obvious i was grassing on my neighbours. especially if they were drug dealers.

there is a big 'drug problem' in a neighbouring estate, piss those drug dealers off and they burn your house down/shoot you and your family, etc.

In my case, I do not have a wife or kids, so I do not have anything to lose in this world. If they want to burn my house down or shoot me, then they can come on over and do it, but I am not going to make it easy for them. All doors and windows have magnetic reed switches, All rooms with exterior doors have have motion detectors and audio glass break detectors. The room I reside in does not have very many windows and is the farthest room from any entrance to the house. I will have plenty of time upon the alarm sounding to pick up the AR-15 walk to the livingroom doorway and open up on the perpetrator. My CCTV system is far from any points of entrance and so are my weapons. Everything is close to where I am. The house is cinderblock with some interior walls being cinderblock as well. My chances are better than average if I have someone decide to pay me a visit and like I said, if they come I do not spend much time worrying about it. If I win, then I justifiably solved my problem for good. If I lose when they enter, well I guess I wont have to worry about anything anymore. lol

I do have several 1,000 watt metal halide lights that I decided to line down the side of my house aimed at the problem neighbor. Night was day for several weeks when they began causing me problems. I had three of those lighting them up. The cameras on that side never even entered infrared led mode the light was that good. After the problems stopped, I quit using the lights. They kill you on the electric bill, especially when you forget to turn them off during the day. A 3 kw draw does make a big impact on the power bill when it runs 24x7.

Alarm, CCTV, guns. This solution will protect you pretty darn well.

I would trick out my alarm and CCTV, maybe get concealed carry permit? Keep your edge with the criminals or they'll learn. They are like squirrels.

A while back, the laws considered most anything in the 'public view' was fair game. However, as times changed and video camera's increased in quality and volume, states started introducing voyeurism laws. These laws were designed to prevent others from using camera's to peer through cracks in curtains and what not. This also suggests what the intent of pointing your camera's. The intent of placing a camera from a mailbox to video a car's plate when leaving your drive versus placing it there to view your neighbors pool party are entirely different. Your best bet is to ask a cop, they normally are up to speed on laws for your state, especially if you are making thier job easier.

Next I would consider the risk of not having the camera's versus getting in trouble with the law. Having camera's are very valuable should anything bad happen. I seriously doubt the penalty for any law on the books would be all that severe. However, I would have plans for what your neighbors may do if they learn they are under surveillance.

Simply move seems to suggest running. I have never been one to run and plus it takes resources to move. That is not a solution for most people due to cost alone. I would also hope that the majority have more guts than to run. The problem can be solved peacefully as long as the perpetrator has something to lose. For most people, the threat of being caught in their actions or coming up against someone who they know will fight back will be enough to deter them. Those that just no longer care anymore will still approach, but we all know how those kind of people have to be dealt with.

any privacy issues recording activity on neighboring properties? Suburbanite dweller, crackhead neighbor, yadda yadda yadda. F'ing ****roaches everywhere.

I've added a couple of day/night cams, & tonight I installed 3 bullet cams inside my mailbox post - one that covers my neighbor's property (across the street) side to side, one that goes up the sidewalk/street one way, one that goes up the sidewalk/street the other way...

Salt Lake County - Utah

This is a controversial issue for most of users.

I still remember I stumbled upon the real same thing on this. But the most thing thing is that you need to communicate with others.

Any privacy need to be protected and respected. But IP camera is used for home security. We must exchange your ideas with others. I believe those will understand why you do so.

18 post later and still no one knows if he could record his neighbor lol do you really have an expectation of privacy over a 6 foot fence in your backyard, I don't think so. you can probably see the whole backyard from your window upstairs. In my area its like that Most neighbors who are worried about cameras pointing there way have some serious things to hide or involved in shady dealings. your neighbors sound like skells/perps keep that bad boy rolling, next they will be breaking into your house to feed there habits

Yes, no one has answered this definitively. Im not a lawyer, Im a fireman, so here is what I found in my 3 minute search:

Utah Code Ann. § 76-9-702.7. Voyeurism offenses – Penalties. (2004)

(1) A person is guilty of voyeurism who intentionally uses a camcorder, motion picture camera, photographic camera of any type, or other equipment that is concealed or disguised to secretly or surreptitiously videotape, film, photograph, record, or view by electronic means an individual:

(a) for the purpose of viewing any portion of the individual's body regarding which the individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy, whether or not that portion of the body is covered with clothing;

(b) without the knowledge or consent of the individual; and

© under circumstances in which the individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Found here :

http://www.ncvc.org/src/main.aspx?dbID=DB_Utah125

If that helps.

Under section C, that is a principal of civil liberty and human rights. In the free world, everyone has a right to privacy in a place where you would reasonably expect to have privacy like in your own home, when changing in your bathroom or bedroom, on your own private land (back yard) or in a WC cubicle etc.

If we didn't have this protection under law, we could never consider ourselves free to live out lives without looking over our shoulders or worrying if someone might be stalking us with a video camera.

But like I said before id things are that bad, just move someplace you can relax and not have to put up with the worry.

Lightening in my experience rarely strikes in the same place (or the same person) twice.

Don't worry, be happy

I agree... Whats worth more then a persons health, comfort and peace of mind?

Be happy, be healthy!

But like I said before id things are that bad, just move someplace you can relax and not have to put up with the worry.

Lightening in my experience rarely strikes in the same place (or the same person) twice.

Don't worry, be happy

Are you serious? I don't know where to laugh and where to cry in your post.

Please for your sake and everyone else take it easy.

I really hope you are joking from the first word to the last...

I'm not kidding.

to all you movers out there: GROW A PAIR!

This is a neighbor's kid & his GF. I just found out he's locked up until the end of the month.

His mom is letting his current POS GF stay there while he's there, the slime is driving her car, having traffic there at all hours (scumbag looking Fvckers). His GF actually came over to my shop about a month or 1.5 months ago after he beat her up. This new crew is hers. I don't like it but I'm sure as hell not going to move. I run my business out of here (944 square foot garage that's ~40% bench/production, 25% race shop (my motorcycles), the rest of it normal stuff.

The neighbors are on my side. I threw my glock 27 in my pocket after seeing the tatted up goon she brought over today.

I'm not looking for trouble but I'm sure as hell not going to leave become some west side princess and a recent widow (hubby died , her son's in the joint) is having fun with some girl time. Original issue came about when the homeowner was out of town.

There's still some weird **** going on at all hours but I'm friendly with the homeowner - she's just got some ****roaches. Neighbors on both sides of her are on my team, neighbors on one side of me is on my team, my other neighbor is unaware.

So maybe I stash one of my inside shotguns outside & slip a pistol in the pocket once in a while. This will blow over, I've put up more cameras, increased my security, tightened up the community (my neighbors have always been tight). F this S. I'll stomp a dick now n then, kick a c#Nt too if it needs it.

I've realized that the video quality of my DVR is not as good as I want so I'm going to experiment with different codecs/models/compression/ip cams, I'm adding motion sensors & an annunciator so I'll be aware of activity that's going on around me, plus I'm looking for annunciators (maybe counters) that'll let me know when zones have been triggered so I can just review interesting events.

I'm having a little fun with this although it's a little uncomfortable. I mean why the F does this dumb B have to make all of her neighbors uncomfortable? Lame.

A friend of mine had the same problem, the only difference was they were using his property as an escape route until he put a nice Gin trap there. He just had to catch one junkie & that was the end of his problem.