Dirk_D

Legal Issues? Recording neighbor's activity

Under section C, that is a principal of civil liberty and human rights. In the free world, everyone has a right to privacy in a place where you would reasonably expect to have privacy like in your own home, when changing in your bathroom or bedroom, on your own private land (back yard) or in a WC cubicle etc.

I somewhat agree, except saying that a typical back yard would not carry the reasonable expectation. Any place that is in public view generally doesn't qualify, like a backyard which can often be seen from varying positions from a street or sidewalk, aside from the neighbors view.

Hmmm... So you chickened out and deleted your posts, but you're telling us to grow a pair?

I do sympathize with your situation, though. If one of my neighbors was having punks visiting at all hours I'd not only be recording that activity 24/7, but I'd be calling the cops out to investigate as well. BTW, there's no need to inform the cops that you're recording everything with CCTV cameras. When you report a drug deal or whatever, just tell them that you "saw" the suspicious activity without going into detail as to how you saw it. That way you can hopefully avoid any questions of legality.

In general, though, if it's happening out on a public street, in a front yard, or other location that is readily visible from a public ROW, there is no expectation of privacy and you can record anything that happens there.

Good luck getting rid of all the douchebags.

I will say the same for the movers and not remove my post when the heat is on. "Yes, they do need to grow a pair. Stand your ground and learn you have to be man sometimes!" Now to cover the legality of the issue at hand. If you make your cameras obvious, then you cannot be accused of voyeurism. Don't aim it straight for the neighbor's windows, but rather cover avenues of approach to your property. If the neighbor's yard happens to be in one of your views, so be it as long as it is a legitimate avenue of approach to your property or doors and windows. I have cameras that have three of my neighbor's property in view. They cover legitimate avenues of approach to my property and most of the frame is on my own property. If trouble ratchets up, just walk the dog with a piece in plane sight. Do some target practice back in the woods with your AR-15 and AK-47 from time to time. This gets the message across without ever having to threaten anyone. They know you will stand your ground and have the means to do so if pushed. Yes, I have had to do this in real life and if I am ever pushed to bear arms on someone, I will do it without hesitation. My problems are zero, I live happy and healthy and did not have to move even though I had two neighbors trying to create some problems some years back.

Under section C, that is a principal of civil liberty and human rights. In the free world, everyone has a right to privacy in a place where you would reasonably expect to have privacy like in your own home, when changing in your bathroom or bedroom, on your own private land (back yard) or in a WC cubicle etc.

I somewhat agree, except saying that a typical back yard would not carry the reasonable expectation. Any place that is in public view generally doesn't qualify, like a backyard which can often be seen from varying positions from a street or sidewalk, aside from the neighbors view.

under circumstances in which the individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

leaves it open ended for a court to decide, but most people don't expect to be constantly recorded on their own property. you'd probably be in a jam if someone took issue with it. there's a difference between someone holding a video camera looking into your yard saying "what is that guy doing?", compared to being recorded every time you step out onto your back porch.

I would claim my neighbor is stalking me if he's recording my property 24/7.

[under circumstances in which the individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

leaves it open ended for a court to decide, but most people don't expect to be constantly recorded on their own property. you'd probably be in a jam if someone took issue with it. there's a difference between someone holding a video camera looking into your yard saying "what is that guy doing?", compared to being recorded every time you step out onto your back porch.

I would claim my neighbor is stalking me if he's recording my property 24/7.

Good point!

(2) A person is guilty of stalking who intentionally or knowingly engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific person and knows or should know that the course of conduct would cause a reasonable person:

(a) to fear for the person's own safety or the safety of a third person; or

(b) to suffer other emotional distress.

The above is from Utah statutes... "To suffer other emotional distress". I guess if I was selling drugs out of my house then both (a) and (b) might apply.

I'm no lawyer, nor a cop, but I think 2 things are at play. (1)Risk versus reward and (2) Intent. What real benefit is he gonna gain by installing camera's versus the chance of legal action? What is the intent of setting up his camera's? I believed he answered the intent when he posted this thread's title. Would he be better off if he were monitoring his own property and happened to oversee the neighbor's activity from 24 hr monitoring? I'm thinking so...