Stubblehound

What will I need?

I would like to secure my property with a cctv system and have no idea what is needed. I am a hands on person and like to source my own equipment with forum recomendations of equipment needed. Here are my requirements.

1. A system that allows me to remote view on my smartphone (iPhone).

2. I would need no more than 4 cameras and would like a good picture with night vision as this is when the scrouts are active.

3. Email/SMS notification on movement detection.

I have seen a few cheap systems on the UK market, but reading the reviews has led me to the decision of designing my own.

Thanks for any help.

Andy

1. A system that allows me to remote view on my smartphone (iPhone).

This is a great little unit: Dahua 4 Channel - Full D1. I'm normally a fan of PC-based systems but I've tried one of these and they're really outstanding for features, performance, and ease of configuration.

2. I would need no more than 4 cameras and would like a good picture with night vision as this is when the scrouts are active.

First off: "night vision" is a misleading marketing term. All they're doing is adding LEDs that project IR light - like shining an LED flashlight at your subject, except the light is just at the fringes of human perception. This is most often done as a "compromise" for a cheap camera that has poor or no actual low-light performance.

A preferred method would be to use a GOOD day/night, low-light camera, such as this one: CNB VCM-24VF - this will give you great picture with very little ambient light.

If you do need additional lighting in some areas, I suggest a low-power motion-activated floodlight mounted near the camera: in addition to the white light actually providing a color image (as opposed to the ghostly glow of IR), the natural reaction for most people skulking around in the dark, when a light comes on, will be to look toward the source of the light... and bingo, you've got a nice facial shot.

3. Email/SMS notification on movement detection.

This will drive you nuts after the second night of your phone going off every time a stray cat wanders through the area, or the neighbor's headlights flash across the scene. Don't even bother. Instead, add a PIR motion sensor to the area(s) of concern and tie them into the DVR's alarm input... use THAT to trigger your alerts.

The PIR alerts will definitely reduce the number of false alarms and leave you in peace until you need alerting.

You can even schedule the PIR alarm triggering to take effect only during the hours you are not in attendance.

That will further improve the workability of your system.

Thanks for the hints and tips, especially the PIR alerts. I am here to learn and with your help find the ideal equipment to do the job right.

I have some security light somewhere, but I dont think they are motion activated. One of those jobs I never got round to doing. Oh well, these things are sent to give us a kick up the arse.

Andy

Motion-activated lights can be had pretty cheap - I've seen the fixtures going for $15 or less (add your own bulbs).