ljarrald

what are your thoughts on this idea?

one of the main disadvantages of my dome cameras is that when it rains, big water droplets end up in front of the lens blocking the cameras view.

i have thought about ways to overcome this issue and the best/easiest solution i have come up with is to put something above the lens so that when the top of the dome gets wet and the water starts running down the dome, the water will be 'diverted' from blocking the lens.

do you think this is a good idea?

have you done it before and had success/problems?

could you suggest a material to use? i was thinking KULK or silicon or something because it is easy to put on and once it drys, it sticks quite well.

here is a little diagram in case you don't understand what i mean from the description.

188299_1.png

i like what axis cameras do. although there would still be a bit of the problem if the lens was pointed right down and the rain was at a sharp angle.

unfortunately, i don't have much money. so i have to make do with what i've got. i would LOVE an axis system. lol

I know that you are clever with your hands Luke, or I wouldn't suggest this. Cut up a plastic bottle and create

a plastic hood for the dome, mount it on the outer housing with silicone. The bigger the bottle the better it will fit.

Water on a dome lens is always a problem at some time, I always reccomend that the dome is cleaned with Polycarbonate cleaner or VERY mild soapy water and a microfiber cloth. After a rainstorm, clean the dome of all waterspots or they corrode into the dome and it's water damaged permanently.

Rarely have an issue with this, and I live in Vancouver, where we have two seasons: the rainy season, and the monsoon season.

That said, I've successfully used Rain-X to substantially extend cleaning/service intervals for car wash cameras...

Hmmm, I need to try the RainX idea on some domes. For some restaurants I service, cameras were mounted above oven equipment (not by me - I can tell you that). When the oven doors open steam comes out and rises to the ceiling. About every 1-2 months the domes need to be wiped off because they develop a film from the steam. In fairness, the camera locations provide a great view of the area they cover, just as long as they remember to clean them.

One of the big problems we found with cameras in the back areas of restaurants is that all the grease in the air gets on the domes and builds up, and over time, actually soaks into the plastic and can't be simply wiped off.

most domes have a wall mount kit like this:

http://www.pelco.com/sites/global/en/products/camera-solutions/range-presentation.page?p_function_id=9507&p_family_id=10229&p_range_id=2904 (this is a bad example because it looks like an indoor kit, but you get the idea.)

so you don't have to flush mount them to a wall. We do put them on like you have shown every now and then, but the biggest problem we have is if you want to aim the camera down the wall you can't get the lens aimed properly at a corner.

unfortunately a wall mount kit is not an option. they have to be mounted like this.

i'm going to look into that rainX tomorrow when i have time, do some testing and then test out a few ideas

This is my concoction; it's a plastic liner secured with band clamps. Although I have no problem with RainX I have yet to get it and apply.

On another install the owner made a longer/wider cover out of sheet metal, painted the color of the camera and mounted it to the wall. It looks good.

The only down side for both applications is it is a haven for spider webs.

Cover.JPG.8f7a6335f99673eb0607075d7d35559c.JPG

i like that cover. it looks like it could double up as a sun shade too!

i think i may use your idea at some point in the future, thanks!

it looks very neat and professional too. unfortunately, it is not something that would work for the cameras in question.

i do have a few camera locations where cameras are not yet installed where a shade like this would be perfect though.

We do put them on like you have shown every now and then, but the biggest problem we have is if you want to aim the camera down the wall you can't get the lens aimed properly at a corner.

Well that's just a lousy camera design then. There are plenty of domes that have no problem looking right back along the surface they're mounted to.