FarmerCharlie

PTZ Basic Questions

I have an NV6240E8, which seems to be working pretty well. I'm thinking about experimenting with PTZ cameras, and could use some advice. I assume something like this would work from one RS232 port.

http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=181&gclid=COWS3YSR_ZgCFRwpawodaDInmA

If I later wanted to add more PTZ cameras, should I use a multi-channel RS232 board and multiple converters, or is there a better approach?

I have seen several Sony PTZ cameras going for about $100 on EBay. Could someone point me to a tutorial to help me decide which cameras might be appropriate?

Thanks,

Charles

Hi FarmerCharlie. i would say if you can pay a little more for your converter. the reason being not all have auto setup (cant be seen via device management) without a driver.

the aver will also take USB to RS485 for control

you also only need 1 for as many PTZs as you want.

Hi FarmerCharlie. i would say if you can pay a little more for your converter. the reason being not all have auto setup (cant be seen via device management) without a driver.

Any recommendations on the correct card/converter?

I had assumed I would need one serial channel per PTZ camera. Is that not correct?

Hey Charlie,

That's the same place I bought mine from. Good fast service.

I discovered after I had already ordered it, that I didn't have any RS232 serial ports on my computer!

Had to get an adapter to change it to USB. still, it works fine. you can get one that converts USB port to RS485 if you need it.

John

PS. You might want to stay away from those lower priced, so called Sony PTZ cams. They have a Sony chip but are made in China out of much cheaper

parts than a Sony Cam.

I had assumed I would need one serial channel per PTZ camera. Is that not correct?

hi you only need 1 and you can connect as many PTZs as you like. when you loaded your dvr software it will have also put a few drivers into your device management list. we dont use anything other than moxa (which is 1 in your list)

i would not like to guess on 1 for you. but if you contact myplace46 to see which mod he used would be better than getting one that does not work.

Any recommendations on the correct card/converter?

Tom is correct, you only need one. you use the software to program each camera's ID, protocol etc.

once you do it, you'll understand, its pretty simple.

John

Ha, looks like Tom is answering while I'm plucking out my reply.

Anyway, the one you have in your first post is the same one I got.

Seems to be good quality, I felt much better getting from them than

a cheaper one on eBay.

John

I wouldn't even bother - I've generally just connected PTZs directly to the RS232 port and it works just fine. Only ever ran into one PTZ that didn't like that.