FarmerCharlie

Video monitoring without electrical power

A friend of mine said he would like to setup a system similar to my Avermedia PC card system. Problem is, it is a secluded nature site without electricity. I don't think it would be practical to try to setup a regular PC system and try to run it on batteries. But I was wondering if any of the folks here had come up with a reasonable approach for such locations.

I did find a few examples of solar powered systems, but they look a little too expensive for his application.

Thanks,

Charles

Well, it really depends. But I foresee a fair bit of $$$ on solar panel/wind plus good power regulators and a good battery bank!

You need to minimize your wattage as much as possible. Best way IMO while still having good structure for connections and possible internet/etc would be a nice safe cabinet for everything, and go with a standalone DVR. I think my QVis 8-ch (Basically dahua) runs like 30-80. I have measured my 8 cameras and the DVR and it was under 100W total! Pretty good, and that is certainly possible under right conditions with enough panel surface area and good banks.

IR will use much more power, and so will PTZ. I would stick to low light cameras that don't need much help. Most cameras that don't have IR will use surprisingly little power. Also, use one big regulated supply not a bunch or wall-warts. You will reduce overall usage there.

Also, use one big regulated supply not a bunch or wall-warts. You will reduce overall usage there.

get a DVR that wants 12V DC power, rather than 110/220V AC, also get 12V DC cameras.

then, straight away you are more efficient going from batteries as there is no conversions (dc>ac>dc would be very inefficient)

[...]

I think my QVis 8-ch (Basically dahua) runs like 30-80. I have measured my 8 cameras and the DVR and it was under 100W total!

That sounds pretty good. Maybe it would be more doable than I thought.

IR will use much more power, and so will PTZ.

The IR might be an issue. Most of the cameras people use in nest boxes have IR, and I suspect the IR lighting is active even during the day. Maybe I ought to test a regular board camera and see if the natural lighting is enough. I know that the little cameras I use in nest boxes have way too much illumination; I cover the LEDs with adhesive take to reduce it. Maybe one or two LEDs would be enough.

Is there a reasonable camera you would suggest I test for low light and about an 8 inch focus?

Thanks for the food for thought.

Charles

get a DVR that wants 12V DC power, rather than 110/220V AC, also get 12V DC cameras.

then, straight away you are more efficient going from batteries as there is no conversions (dc>ac>dc would be very inefficient)

Good points. I did a quick Google search for dc powered dvr, and came up with this:

http://www.surveillance-spy-cameras.com/12-volt-dvr.htm

It says 12 volts at 2 amps, which would come to only 24 watts. It is only about $300. Would something like this work?

And do these stand-alone systems have the same sort of sophisticated motion detection I am used to on the Avermedia card? For instance, I can trigger recording based on motion just at the entrance of a nest box, and I can setup several motion zones on each camera.

This could turn into a fun project. But I probably need to speak with a good vendor who can help me skip the mistakes I would probably make entirely on my own. Any recommendations?

Good points. I did a quick Google search for dc powered dvr, and came up with this:

http://www.surveillance-spy-cameras.com/12-volt-dvr.htm

It says 12 volts at 2 amps, which would come to only 24 watts. It is only about $300. Would something like this work?

And do these stand-alone systems have the same sort of sophisticated motion detection I am used to on the Avermedia card? For instance, I can trigger recording based on motion just at the entrance of a nest box, and I can setup several motion zones on each camera.

This could turn into a fun project. But I probably need to speak with a good vendor who can help me skip the mistakes I would probably make entirely on my own. Any recommendations?

Or build small NVR ( 10-20 wt )

IP cam about 4 wt each

plus switch

and get better image then Analog

Or skip the central recorder altogether and get cameras that record to internal storage (SD card, etc.)

IP cam about 4 wt each

plus switch

Uh-oh. Now you've got me thinking way beyond my experience. I just recently setup my first Balun for a long video run, and now you've got me thinking I.P. all the way. Guess I need to start thinking this through from the ground up.

IP cam about 4 wt each

plus switch

Uh-oh. Now you've got me thinking way beyond my experience. I just recently setup my first Balun for a long video run, and now you've got me thinking I.P. all the way. Guess I need to start thinking this through from the ground up.

Don't You like challenges ?

Where are u located

Ok, never mind

you are in Alabama

Don't You like challenges ?

Yeah. I even used to be an engineer. In my previous life I designed radio telemetry physiology monitoring systems that worked with the old GYYR time-lapse videotape recorders to trigger the recording when the system detected cardiac arrhythmias. I guess that pretty-well dates me, huh? Now days all I do is chase dogs and watch birds, but I still like to piddle with electronic gadgets.

Yeah. I even used to be an engineer. In my previous life I designed radio telemetry physiology monitoring systems that worked with the old GYYR time-lapse videotape recorders to trigger the recording when the system detected cardiac arrhythmias. I guess that pretty-well dates me, huh? Now days all I do is chase dogs and watch birds, but I still like to piddle with electronic gadgets.

What u been doing is more complicated then IP cams and NVR

should be easy for you

and you gonna be happy with results

A friend of mine said he would like to setup a system similar to my Avermedia PC card system

a very low power unit is the aver nano.

if you are looking at adding IP i dont know what your friends budget is but you can run mobotix on the aver.

mobotix are by nature a low powered IP you can buy them as a full solar kit unit