Stubblehound

Connecting DVR to Router question

I live in a small semi detatched property and really only need a max of 2 cameras so obviously I just need a 4 ch system. I am looking at 2 possibilities, either a stand alone DVR or maybe build a dedicated pc based system.

Is it possible to connect a DVR to my router using my home wifi or does it have to be plugged directly into the router? Could I use a wifi antenna or would I have to go down the pc based route? Reason being my router is downstairs and I want the DVR upstairs in my home office.

Thanks for any help

DVR is the way to go. Forget about building a system yourself with an old PC you might have laying around, what you might save on the short term in $, you will end up paying in headaches and electriicity bill.

No problem on connecting the DVR upstairs to an Access Point, which connects to your router downstairs. Just one more thing to configure, but once it is done it will work ok.

A DVR would have been my first choice, but just wasnt sure about it working over WIFI. Do I have to get WIFI built in or can I use a WIFI antenna. I dont want to spend too much on a 2 camera system, but there again, I want it to do a half decent job.

Either take a cable from the router to the DVR or if thats not handy use these - http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=powerline+adapters&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=705&wrapid=tlif133466175449610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6953290694851366468&sa=X&ei=f1KNT4GdHMLOhAeeqcyFCw&ved=0CHcQ8wIwAA#

Plugs into mains and router downstairs and mains and DVR upstairs

2 cameras? i will be honest your not going to get much of a system in 2 cameras no matter how small a house it is, people tend to fit a camera with wide angle front and one back and think its job done but its not, you havnt much hope of identifiying anyone or thing unless its standing 1 foot from those cameras,theyre fine for general observation

Look at you property again and i'd say 4 minimum

Where are you located?

A DVR would have been my first choice, but just wasnt sure about it working over WIFI. Do I have to get WIFI built in or can I use a WIFI antenna. I dont want to spend too much on a 2 camera system, but there again, I want it to do a half decent job.

I am not saying there aren't any, but I have never seen a standalone DVR with wifi builtin. I would not want it anyway, I prefer to convert the wired RJ45 network to wireless with an Access Point.

I usually use D-Link DWL-2100AP or DAP-1353, but any AP should do; probably not the best, but once you have installed a couple of units, the next one you do it in 2 minutes.