dbeyer

Point to Point Wireless Ethernet Bridge

Looking to connect 2 apartment buildings to add to existing Milestone IP system.

Buildings are 1,000 ft apart and about a 20 ft elevation difference. Looking for non line of site system with enough bandwidth for four 1.3 mp cameras.

Is this possible and has anyone had any experience with any of these systems?

Thanks, for all the great work on this site.

David

PS see attached pic.

CR-MMmaps.thumb.jpg.2c16f06911282f511ecbcad689ed7298.jpg

What is the obstruction that keeps the link NLOS (non line of sight)? If it's a small amount of trees, you MAY have a chance with 2.4GHz gear (Ubiquiti NanoStation M2's come to mind, MIMO equipment seems to penetrate foliage better than single chain hardware).

Is there any possibility of raising the antennas enough to clear the obstructions?

5.8GHz gear is a definite no, any foliage at all in the path will kill the link (although if you can raise the antennas enough to get LOS, it would be my first choice, due to less interference in that band, and more channel choices).

900MHz gear will do the job, but the 900 band is never my first choice due to much more interference possibilities from SCADA gear and other noise sources. At that distance, though, a set of Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M900's would likely do the job (less bandwidth capability, but probably still enough for your application, depending on what kind of framerates you are expecting).

Another possibility would be to locate another server at the second site so you are just passing viewing network traffic, rather than all the camera data.

Thanks Hardwired!

I'll collect more data. I'll try to evaluate how high I would need to go to achieve LOS. Any suggestions how?

Meanwhile I'll check out the Ubiquiti NanoStation M2's.

David

+1 on the Ubiquity Nanostations, well priced, online community for help. I would try the 2.4Ghz first and 900Mhz if the 2.4Ghz does not work, mostly because they are cheap. 1,000' outdoors is not too difficult. I setup a WiFi hotspot in a park using off the shelf routers and I was able to still get a decent signal from my iPad 400' away and bridges are way better than my iPad.

Thanks Hardwired!

I'll collect more data. I'll try to evaluate how high I would need to go to achieve LOS. Any suggestions how?

Meanwhile I'll check out the Ubiquiti NanoStation M2's.

David

Take a look at the Rohn push-up masts here- http://rohnnet.com/rohn-telescoping-masts. It appears that both buildings are two story. If you get on the roof of them, you will probably only need twenty to thirty feet of additional height to clear most trees, unless you have something else really big in the way.

The NanoStations are very light, and a very small wind load area, they don't need a massive structure to support them.

As I mentioned, the NanoStation M2's (2.4 GHz) can penetrate a reasonable amount of foliage at the distances you are describing. If you can get LOS with masts, NanoStation M5's (5.8 GHz) would be the way to go, for less interference issues.

I still find it amusing that "hardwired" knows so much about wireless
Life's full of irony, isn't it?

Actually, I used to have a well-earned distaste for wireless gear (and still do, for most "nannycam" quality analog (expletive deleted) stuff flooding the market).

However, the advent of quality IP video camera capabilities, coupled with robust market offerings for good, low priced IP data links, and customers who I wasn't going to be able to provide video for any other way (lots of agricultural operations spanning huge areas) has led me quite a ways down the path for wireless implementations.

Wireless is like anything else with technology: there's good stuff out there, but you're not usually going to get it for pennies. We looked at analog wireless for a project several years ago... it turned out that trenching and laying several hundred feet of conduit was a lot cheaper.

Wireless is like anything else with technology: there's good stuff out there, but you're not usually going to get it for pennies. We looked at analog wireless for a project several years ago... it turned out that trenching and laying several hundred feet of conduit was a lot cheaper.
That's one great thing about wireless gear for IP based video systems: we now have the ability to use products designed and marketed to a vastly larger market segments than there was for analog wireless video equipment, and as such prices are falling, and quality and performance increasing, at a rate that the CCTV market by itself could never hope to match.

Take a look at the Rohn push-up masts here- http://rohnnet.com/rohn-telescoping-masts. It appears that both buildings are two story. If you get on the roof of them, you will probably only need twenty to thirty feet of additional height to clear most trees, unless you have something else really big in the way.

The NanoStations are very light, and a very small wind load area, they don't need a massive structure to support them.

As I mentioned, the NanoStation M2's (2.4 GHz) can penetrate a reasonable amount of foliage at the distances you are describing. If you can get LOS with masts, NanoStation M5's (5.8 GHz) would be the way to go, for less interference issues.

Wow,

I love all the comments! Thanks everyone.

Building height is actually 2.5 story, 3 stacked apartment units with 1/2 story below grade.

Where is the best place to purchase? If any of the contributors to this post sell NanoStation please pm me.

Meanwhile I downloaded Microdem trying to figure accurate LOS heights.

Anybody know of easier software?

David

I use a program called Radio Mobile for calculating my links, but it is not very user friendly, and nothing that I know of will replace going to the actual site and looking at possible obstructions in the path.

Even SRTM 1 meter data and landcover maps are limited in that regard, they show major obstructions and elevation changes, but not small obstructions or foliage growth.

David - IF you end up using any sensors (e.g. optex) on the remote building and need to relay them over to the main building to trigger recordings, I was told by Inovonics support yesterday that their transmitters (e.g. EN1941) can do 1/2 mile line of sight over a 900Mhz spread spectrum link.. Just passing that along if you need to transmit sensor info too.. YMMV!

cheap[/b].

Just remember to never use that word when speaking with a customer!!!!! We prefer the term "inexpensive"! Cheap implies well you know...........