Sign in to follow this  
ginger john

cable question

hi all

just a little bit of advice wanted. i recently set up my cctv and i am getting a bit of interference on the tv screen. whats happening is that i'm getting a few lines moving up the screen . its not to bad just a bit annoying. the cable i used to go from the multiplexer to the tv was a phono cable with red yellow and white phono ends . i know now i got this wrong so i have decided to change this cable . which would be the right cable to go for rg59 or rg6. the lenth of cable needs to be approxamatly 100 ft .

everything else is ok the pitchure is fine on all cameras i have 10 cameras in use i did use rg59 for the cameras . i get the same lines going up and down when viewing 1 or all 10 cameras this is why i think it is the phono cable .

The cable is not you problem. The tv and the DVR are connected in diferent power circuits and thats making you a Ground loop.

You need a Ground Loop isolator

I had repairs this things before just taking off the earth conector in the plugs of the monitors.

thankyou leonardoh19

so you think the cable i am using is ok. thats a result if it is as it is a awkward job to pull a new cable through as i have it in a pipe trunking just so the weather did not effect it.

so what your saying if i understand you correctly all i have to do is take out the earth cable from the plug on the tv side of my set up

or how would i set up a groud loop isolater were does this fix to the multiplexer or the tv side sorry for the dumbo questions i'm not a installer just a guy

Or you can simply plug all of the power plugs into a single power strip. If they share a common ground, you won't have that issue. If they are too far apart, then you need the ground loop isolator. It will remove the grounding from the video cable.

If your power sources are 100' apart then it could well be an earth loop problem. BUT the A/V shielded cable you have used could also be the problem. 100' of sh*t cable is just asking for problems.

thank you for all your advice guys.

i fitted a ground loop isolater but unfortunatly i'm still getting the exact same problem so it looks like it is the cable thats the problem. oh well it looks like a day of swearing and pulling new cabling . i should have done it right first time shouldn't i,