pal251

Power wire splicing

When you guys get a new camera and have to join it up with your power wire how do you guys normally do it.

I have been putting the dc power jack on one end of a butt connector and then put the camera wire onto the other side of the butt connector then crimp it. I then wrap a piece of electrical tape over that part.

Last guy that did the install on the cameras just put electrical tape on the wires to hold them together!

If I have to join then I AWAYS solder, sleeve then tape. However I do remember reading an article years ago that said if you strip 1/2" off both conductors , twist tightly then fold it over on itself it is as good if not better than any other mechanical jointing method.

189322_1.jpg

Gel-filled type, prevents moisture getting into the connection.

And them some high quality UV-resistant electrical tape, and a bit of a service loop "just in case".

189322_1.jpg

Gel-filled type, prevents moisture getting into the connection.

Ditto. Or these:

189381_1.jpg

In a pinch, you can fill most splicing devices with gel yourself. Just go to any auto parts store and buy a tube of silicon dielectric grease. Often used for spark plug wires.

Ditto. Or these:

189381_1.jpg

In a pinch, you can fill most splicing devices with gel yourself. Just go to any auto parts store and buy a tube of silicon dielectric grease. Often used for spark plug wires.

They are not designed for stranded cable

I bought stranded wire on accident on my last install. I wanted to get Solid but I think the stranded might be more reliable for corners and able to be moved back and forth more often without breaking.

Which works well with stranded wire?

Last guy that did the install on the cameras just put electrical tape on the wires to hold them together!

He is the type of guy that I am always following around to fix his poor workmanship

You mis-understand me. Stranded wire is what should be used. Those connectors are for solid core wire & should not be used.

Gotcha.

I'm still learning. Right now basically all I do is replace the cameras that are breaking down.

The last installer used solid core wire.

Beans CAN be used on stranded wire. We do it all of the time. Strip, twist ends together, squeeze the bean sides to allow insertion of the larger wires, insert wires, then crimp as normal. Works fine on everything up to 18 gauge.

Agreed IDC connectors not suitable for stranded wire.

Beans CAN be used on stranded wire. We do it all of the time. Strip, twist ends together, squeeze the bean sides to allow insertion of the larger wires, insert wires, then crimp as normal. Works fine on everything up to 18 gauge.

Agreed IDC connectors not suitable for stranded wire.

Strange, we've never met, yet we seem to use a lot of the same techniques...

Strange, we've never met, yet we seem to use a lot of the same techniques...
Great minds think alike!