nickCR

Camara with really good night visibility

Hello All,

We are looking for some camera suggestions with superb night visibility. We need to see between 30 to 50 meters if that is possible.

Look forward to your responses, thanks in advance!

Nick

Edited by Guest

Check out the ACTi TCM-7811. I'm currently working on a review for my blog. It uses a CCD instead of CMOS like most IP cameras and has IR illuminators built in with a rated effectiveness of 40 meters. The only other camera that I have worked with that has comperable low light capability are Mobotix with b&w sensors, same resolution, b&w day or night and no built in illumination but I use a Extreme 100' quartz light with it.

Check out the ACTi TCM-7811. I'm currently working on a review for my blog. It uses a CCD instead of CMOS like most IP cameras and has IR illuminators built in with a rated effectiveness of 40 meters. The only other camera that I have worked with that has comperable low light capability are Mobotix with b&w sensors, same resolution, b&w day or night and no built in illumination but I use a Extreme 100' quartz light with it.

Found that camera on Amazon for $595. Does that seem right?

Also not sure what you mean about the 100' quartz light.

Found that camera on Amazon for $595. Does that seem right?

Also not sure what you mean about the 100' quartz light.

The $595 is from Surveillent through Amazon and they seem to have the best prices, but don't know anyone that has bought from them.

We used an Extreme UF500 illuminator, uses a quartz halogen bulb, with the Mobotix D12, 2 b&w sensors. Nice but pricey. I just like the Mobotix solution for this case because they have a small number of cameras, and not having an NVR makes it price competitive.

I can send you night images from both, so you can see, send me your email via PM. I'll publish a review soon on my blog, but trying to work out some video conversion issues, because when I post it on youtube it's not smooth, but on my computer it's fine.

Hej buellwinkle, You rly like this camera? I used it one time and then send it back to ACTi. I had problem with IR halo, also the "low light" wasnt good enough on shutter faster that default.

Personally I use IQ752/IQ762 in places where I need good low light

vWx21ebiOKY

Also if I were You I wouldn't buy it on amazon, but from fair CCTV reseller, that way You can test it and return it if its not good enough.

KOB, what frame rate is the original video captured at? It looks like it's about 1 frame per 2 seconds. Why so low? Or was the video somehow altered when youtube processed it? Otherwise, the lightgrabber technology is impressive - but not if you can only capture 1 frame every 2 seconds.

If there's interest, I can review IQEye next. The only thing I don't like about that model is that it's a box camera, requires an housing to make it usable outdoors. Do you know a comparable model that's an outdoor dome or bullet with the same capabilities?

KOB, what frame rate is the original video captured at? It looks like it's about 1 frame per 2 seconds. Why so low? Or was the video somehow altered when youtube processed it? Otherwise, the lightgrabber technology is impressive - but not if you can only capture 1 frame every 2 seconds.

It's because poor internet connection, with lightgrabber you can use full frame rate. I was surprised that IP camera can give you that kind of lowlight image, I would rly like to see some good review like from buellwinkle but this image was taken form IQ752 model (1.9 Mpixel 1/2" CMOS model), now its replaced with IQ762 (FullHD 1/3" CMOS with auto focus), I wonder how it will work @ night.

There is outdoor model - Sentinel IQ862.

No problem, I'll reach out to them first of the week They are 5 miles from my house and said they would lend me cameras for reviews a few weeks ago.

The $595 is from Surveillent through Amazon and they seem to have the best prices, but don't know anyone that has bought from them.

I don't have first-hand experience, but another user said he had trouble after buying from Surveillant (who have really good prices), as they weren't an authorized vendor and the manufacturer woudn't provide support.

Not all manufacturers are this picky, of course, but some are, so it's worth looking into before buying expensive gear from them.

If you want the BEST then the only one is SONY CH140.... Hands down the best low light and WDR camera on the market.. I have done many shootouts with Panasonic, Axis, Mobotix, Samsung and all the rest whicle they have techs playing for hours to get the cameras setup to try beat the SONY i simply plug it in hit Focus and the job is as good as won.... You tube the SONY CH140 and see for your self.

I have been doing IP when people laughed at IP and now this is all they want.... In low light Sony is the best but does not come cheap and when you bring price into it the the the price can make others look good... Also SONY run with the EXMOR technology in the chipsets which is light years ahead of other comapnies chipset technologies.

Thanks

MM

910968909_SONY-LowLight.thumb.jpg.a6f8d906c562391c709f1b011b1a8344.jpg

Can't comment on the Sony camera, but as for the Sony "Exmor" CMOS sensor, you can see my review on the Brickcom WOB-130Np on my blog, it uses this sensor. I found it to be quite good, maybe not as good as the Sony EXview HAD CCD chip in low light, but pretty decent.

The Brickcom cost slightly more than the Sony, but that's comparing a bullet to a box camera, so not completely fair.

It really depends if you want IP or not, and the catch being you said superb...superb is the LTC0620 (have not tried the 0630) - or the corollary is how much light do you want to add?

Lots of great night IP pics out there at slow shutter on the internet, NOBODY seems to specify the shutter speed (except IPVM, and maybe a few other savvy people whose livelihoods don't depend on this).

Might hamper sales or relationships...put a Bosch LTC0620 against the others - at the SAME shutter speed - no contest.

Have not tried the 1602 but the test pics I saw gave hope that finally there was a good lowlight IP camera. Even if it is not MP.

Having said all that, it is not THAT hard to get excellent pics from even a Axis P1344 at 1-30s. Just add light. I have a P3346 on the front of the house - takes about 60W of CFL to get good pics at 1-30s. And that's nowhere close to the distance you are talking about.

With that much light I can run a CNB in color and even turn the AGC down.

I can't say much about the brickcom but I know they are well backed with funds so assume the cameras will not be too bad.

I like to see real life demos rather then staged footage from suppliers as I think it gives really shows off the cameras in the hands of everyday users not engineers that can tweak the camera firmware and settings to suit the shot. Axis make a good camera and some really great niche products for the market but I am a Sony Fan... As never called back on a Sony Job to fix or Re-focus cameras.

This Sony camera is out of the box, Hit focus and thats the Image I get... Not bad if you ask me !!!

381911852_SonyCH140.thumb.jpg.4a69ea02b86422c6480474760ad315fe.jpg

I provide real live images and started including video on my blog, not as clear and pretty as what manufacturers put up on youtube but closer to what you'll get. When it comes to low light, you may get an image from any camera, not sure it will be a crisp image with decent contrast though.

Hi

So you are going to be running HD-SDI cameras with I guess Exmor / Exview Sensors... I have been testing HD-SDI for a over 12 months now and find it to be not bad quality and easy for a uneducated in IP.

I am interested to know if this is the line of cameras you are looking at..

MM

Thanks guys for all the replies!

That Sony looks amazing. Really great quality.

Our provider locally charges way to much so we need to import the cameras into Costa Rica which will cost some $, but also makes the waranties a little difficult to deal with. That's why I'm doing as much re-search as possible.

Would really like to see that review of those two cameras. I think the night shots seems decent. The problem we have is that where the cameras are it's literally pitch black.

Anyway looking forward to your continued responses and suggestions!