jake.reynolds

Help Me Choose New DVR/Cameras?

I've got an AV760 4-ch DVR and some cheap, eBay, non-dome IR-lit cameras. I don't know the CCD or make of the cams but I believe they were around $150.00 for the four of them and they came from Taiwan if that helps you get a picture of the quality. I do believe they advertised a 1/3" Sony chip but that could be wrong. I built my home in 2008 and ran RG-59 siamese cable to four exterior wall locations. I have access to this DVR via the Internet and through my iPhone using an application called EagleEyes.

This wasn't a bad system for what I paid and considering I had it back in 2008. But...I've been wanting better night vision ability for a while because the night vision on my current system isn't up to par. I'd also like better resolution if possible but I realize I'm kind of stuck with the maximum NTSC/PAL standards allow. I'd prefer not to redo my cable even though I know the benefits of IP over CAT5/6 with PoE. I'm also interested in getting an 8 channel DVR this time for a couple of interior cameras. The fact that my DVR is now saying "No HDD" also gives me a reason to replace the DVR if modern DVRs can provide better resolution than the setup I have. Otherwise I could replace the HDD.

I've posted descriptions as well as screenshots of these below:

1. Watching the Front Door/Porch

2. Watching the Garage/Driveway/Front Yard

3. Watching my Side Garage

4. Watching my Basement Door/Backyard

I have the following requirements:

1. 8 Channel analog DVR with best resolution possible using analog cameras.

2. DVR supports browser/iPhone remote access.

3. I need new cameras that, if possible, will allow me to identify faces even in the dark in the locations I've posted pics of. At the very least I need better night vision.

4. I would like some "cloud" solution or service where I can constantly stream my video to some other server on the internet in case the DVR burns up or gets taken. My partners at work have recently opted for Logitech cams and that service is very cool from this perspective.

5. I have no cable pulled but it would be nice to have a channel of audio, say, at my front door location.

6. My current cameras use individual AC adapter/injectors. It would be nice to have a 4 or 8 channel all-in-one device for this since they all terminate in the same spot.

So my questions are:

1. With new DVRs and cameras is it possible to get better resolution than I'm getting even if I stick with analog?

2. If I spend more on cameras do you think I can get a lot better night vision in the spots I posted pics of?

3. Are there any DVRs manufacturers that provide/sell video server services so that you're constantly streaming your video across the internet to them? Something a little more turn-key than an FTP server...

4. What equipment/models would be the best value for my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Why is there so much WALL in your view in #1 and #4??

Because my walls are priceless =). I actually don't have a ladder high enough to reach them so I've never adjusted them from my first guess.

With new DVRs and cameras is it possible to get better resolution than I'm getting even if I stick with analog?

RESOLUTION, no - 704x480 is about the best you'll do with NTSC video (some do a little more, up to 720 or 740, but that's not a significant difference). QUALITY, on the other hand... those cameras look pretty washed-out. You can definitely do better.

If I spend more on cameras do you think I can get a lot better night vision in the spots I posted pics of?

Depends... how much did these cameras cost? This is an excellent all-around camera that can be had for $165 and up. No "night vision" BS required in most instances - they work extremely well with very little ambient light.

I have no cable pulled but it would be nice to have a channel of audio, say, at my front door location.

You can't do this without separate audio wire (or without something that will multiplex the video and audio over the single coax, but that won't be cheap).

Are there any DVRs manufacturers that provide/sell video server services so that you're constantly streaming your video across the internet to them? Something a little more turn-key than an FTP server...

There aren't many... mainly because there's not a lot of demand for it, due to the bandwidth limitations of most residential broadband - upstream simply isn't fast enough or reliable enough to support it, and bandwidth caps would be overrun on a regular basis. It SOUNDS like a neat idea, but unless you have something like FiOS service, it's really not practical.

A better idea if you're that worried about getting your DVR stolen or something, is to hide it away somewhere safe, and access it via network or KVM extender.

What equipment/models would be the best value for my situation?

The aforementioned camera is hard to beat... the DVR really depends on what your budget is. Dahua is a good name to look at - they're sold under a number of different brand names. Google "ESDV-PROLINE-8" for a good starting point.

Thanks a lot for your response.

RESOLUTION, no - 704x480 is about the best you'll do with NTSC video (some do a little more, up to 720 or 740, but that's not a significant difference). QUALITY, on the other hand... those cameras look pretty washed-out. You can definitely do better.

Cool, so if you were in my position would you even bother upgrading the AV760 other than for increased channels? If I'm not going to get any better recording quality and image quality is 100% cameras then I might as well not bother unless I really want 8 channels.

Depends... how much did these cameras cost? This is an excellent all-around camera that can be had for $165 and up. No "night vision" BS required in most instances - they work extremely well with very little ambient light.

Thanks for the info. Coincidentally, this is this price range I had in mind when I upgrade my cameras. Only problem is that a couple of these cams have nearly zero ambient light, i.e. no street lights around. By the looks of the pics I saw of this camera operating at midnight it would still be better than the crappy $30.00 IR cams I currently have. However, is there another camera you would recommend for very low light situations? I'd read about dual-CCD IR cams with one black/white CCD dedicated to night vision. Are those still inferior to the camera's you recommended?

It SOUNDS like a neat idea, but unless you have something like FiOS service, it's really not practical.

This is why I mentioned Logitech's cameras. My friends have them with regular cable modem internet access (~1mbps upstream). They have better quality than my cheap system and it all streams to the internet. For some reason, compression methods I'm sure, it doesn't seem to affect their bandwidth considerably. That said, I'm not going to be putting those in since I've already got the RG59 run.

For a decent Analog camera that works pretty darned well in low-light checkout the CNB VCM-24VF. I've got a pair of them and they're designed very well and super easy to install and best of all, they've got a decent picture with pricing at about $165/ea which is WAY cheaper than a decent IP camera but that's a different discussion altogether. By the way, the cameras you've got seem to have images that are pretty washed out looking -- the CNB's wont be that way..