akelley

Vertical line in Axis p3367-VE in BW mode

Anyone seen this problem with the p33 series from Axis? Here's a p3367-VE I recently installed. As Axis is known for, it's got great image quality and solid frame rates, even at 5MP. The problem I ran into is when you view the camera in BW mode, there's a very prominent vertical line running from top to bottom in the left 1/3 of the screen.

Here's a day shot to show that no vertical lines are present:

189479_1.png

Now here's the night shot where you can see the vertical line clearly:

189479_1.jpg

Now for the good part Axis sent me a replacement. The bad part? I still see vertical lines even on the replacement. Though the line is not as prominent, but it's there nonetheless. And it appears that there are more than one line this time (I have other shots where the lines are more visible)

Here:

189479_2.jpg

At this point I'm waiting to hear what Axis has to say. They claim that this is "interesting" enough to them that they want to send the camera to Sweden (?) to be checked out. This is my first experience with a p3367, but I've never seen this with any of their other cameras. Anyone else seen this on Axis or any other camera?

My Mobotix has a similar problem with vertical lines in the image, but they are caused by heat (see attachment). I emailed them and after checking with their German engineers they said it wouldn't shorten the life of the camera.

On your image it looks like there is a light source in the bottom left. Is it possible it's somehow reflecting off the camera onto the sensor?

mobotix_heat.jpg.b0f8f61a6100028db6dec56f4a2de4bc.jpg

My Mobotix has a similar problem with vertical lines in the image, but they are caused by heat (see attachment). I emailed them and after checking with their German engineers they said it wouldn't shorten the life of the camera.

On your image it looks like there is a light source in the bottom left. Is it possible it's somehow reflecting off the camera onto the sensor?

Interesting ideas, but I don't think that it's a heat related issue. I see the vertical line regardless of the temperature. This is also true with regard to the light source in the lower left corner of the screen - whether it is on or not, the vertical lines are still present. Depending on the level of ambient light, the vertical line is more prevalent. I think Axis is considering a batch of bad sensors at this point. I'll post any updates.

Looks like a sensor defect to me. If the line was white, on a dome, I may chalk it to glare, but this is black, means pixels are dead on the sensor. Axis works slowly at times but they do work on issues and they do get them fixed.

Looks like a sensor defect to me. If the line was white, on a dome, I may chalk it to glare, but this is black, means pixels are dead on the sensor. Axis works slowly at times but they do work on issues and they do get them fixed.

Dead pixel on B/W, but looks good on color image

How ?

Dead pixel on B/W, but looks good on color image

How ?

That was what was confusing me too. Unless the IR cut filter somehow is masking it, I don't have any idea how you wouldn't see the dead pixels in the day image. And since I'm seeing more of the lines in the replacement camera, my guess is that there is a problem with the DSP processing of the signal. Now that I think about that, I'm wondering if it affected by which codec is being used. I never thought to try that - I'll check tonight to see if the lines are visible using both h.264 and MJPEG.

Here's the update. They've replaced the camera twice now (on my third one) and there is still the same problem. I'm quite surprised that Axis doesn't seem to care about this issue insofar as issuing a recall or offering a "buyback". They say that they are aware of the problem, but can't do anything about it now. I hope that this same problem is not seen on the new p3364 camera, touting their LightFinder technology. The p3367 has a different sensor the all the other p33's with a supposedly higher light sensitivity, which was why I went with this model. Now I'll wait and see how the new models with built in IR LEDs perform. I will say that the p3367 is excellent in very low light without any additional white or IR illumination.

Huh. I always see lines like that in low-light on the IP cameras I've been able to peek at. I always thought it was just normal, like maybe a section of the sensor's wiring is not being amplified or changed as much as the rest, causing the change.

I would bet its some sort of slight manufacturing thing, and all cameras have a couple lines, just some are more/less noticeable. If you want to get technical, take the camera apart and observe the lens, filters, iris, sensor, etc for anything that could potentially correspond to the lines! (Magnifying glass may help.)

Huh. I always see lines like that in low-light on the IP cameras I've been able to peek at. I always thought it was just normal, like maybe a section of the sensor's wiring is not being amplified or changed as much as the rest, causing the change.

I have never seen this on any other IP camera (even the cheapo $99 China cr*p cameras sold on eBay). More importantly, I've never seen it on any other Axis camera (and according to Axis, neither have they). So, they either know what's wrong and aren't telling me, or they really are clueless, which is even worse.

I had an axis that had a horizontal line (at night only), can't remember whether the P3344 or P3346. Went away with a firmware update I think.

658666783_Picture10.png.5089b30586bbec9e0b314b5ce6a8989c.png

Interesting, Mike. It would be great if a firmware update would fix my vertical lines, but Axis never even suggested a firmware update. I suppose the camera is too new still...