jeromephone

very small battery backup

I am working on a system that will use some netgear POE switches which will be housed in Lcomm plastic enclosures about 14X6X12 . I would like to put a small battery backup in the same houseing as all I will have is the switch, incoming cables and possibly a fan. the switch runs on 7.5 v and the fan would be 12. I have been looking(google) for UPS as small as 150va. The backup time i need is just around 5 min as these will be on generator power within that time. I would like something that could use a 7 amp hr battery.

Why not just put a 7Ah battery in there, run the fan directly, and use a voltage regulator for the switch?

This unit will take whatever AC or DC input you provide, give you 6/12/24 or adjustable DC output, keep the battery charged, and automatically switch over to battery on power failure:

http://www.electronicproductonline.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=85&products_id=1770&osCsid=8a03cf580a819292c1d4a8f99e75cbc3

We get them off-the-shelf at ADI; the link above is the only place I've ever found them listed online.

If you can run everything off a 12V bus, you can just use a simple 7Ah battery, and a $15 solar charge controller. The charge controller keeps the battery topped off, and provides a battery-backed 12V power source if the main power supply fails (like when power goes out).

Do keep in mind, you need to consider the current requirements of the switch, and make sure the regulator is sized appropriately. The one I linked there will only provide up to 3A; if the switch needs more than that, you'll have to find another option.

that looks even better. What are the specks or who is the supplier. I looked at my switch requirements and the 4 port poe is 44 watts max I found another switch that is a five port with one uplink (BV-tech 4+1 with up to 65 watts POE.

Thanks for your help.