jondilly

Outdoor camera mounting box ideas

Looking for advice from experienced installers on what type of junction box (or whatever you use) to use to mount outdoor cameras. We have been using standard 2 gang outdoor boxes from the hardware store, but it would be nice to have a cover that is hinged instead of 4 screws to remove. The hinged door would make it easier during install to mount, aim, and focus the cams. We currently use a handheld monitor to view the camera image. We were thinking that a BNC T with a dongle hanging out the bottom of the box would make future adjustments much easier.

It just seems strange that none of the manufacturers have come up with an easy to install outdoor box that has a video out port, hinged door, 1/4 turn screws, and be roughly 5inx5inx2in deep. It could be painted steel or plastic.

I can't find anything close to this idea for less than $80. That is too expensive to justify.

Technically, once the camera is installed and set up, you should never have to access those connectors again. Four screws doesn't sound like such a big deal for something that you really shouldn't need to access more than once every couple years.

It can be if they are very high locations where renting a lift is not cost effective and having two hands is the limiting factor on a high ladder. We just did an install where some of the cameras were as high as 45ft above the ground. If we need to service those in the future, you surely don't want to make it any more difficult than necessary.

How do you guys mount a standard bullet camera? I have a CNB bullet cam that was around $50 that has the standard base that most every camera has.

Do you screw it into the cover of one of the boxes and then run your wires into it?

Have you tried it yet? What did you think?

Technically, once the camera is installed and set up, you should never have to access those connectors again. Four screws doesn't sound like such a big deal for something that you really shouldn't need to access more than once every couple years.

This is the one I was thinking of: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/English/product_info.aspx?type=339&&css=0&&id=8

We usually use a 2 gang outdoor box. We drill a hole in the faceplate and run the cables through it. We make the termination inside the box. We use self tappers to mount the camera to the faceplate. We use tapcons to mount the box to masonary surfaces or self tappers to steel. We use the hole in the back to pass the cables from the building to the inside of the box. You won't see any exposed wires. Make sure to fill the hole leading out the back of the box with silicone.

Still looking for a better mousetrap though. A hinged door to replace the faceplate would be great. Also a 2 gang box isn't quite large enough for the bigger domes. You have to screw the faceplate on before mounting the dome, because the dome base covers the faceplate screws.

This is the one I was thinking of: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/English/product_info.aspx?type=339&&css=0&&id=8

Not sure how an IP dome is relevant? My concern is a mounting box. All we do is cctv stuff anyways.

Not sure how an IP dome is relevant? My concern is a mounting box. All we do is cctv stuff anyways.

Err... whoa, okay, I posted that in the wrong thread... or it somehow GOT posted in the wrong thread, pretty sure I STARTED in the right thread. Too strange.

Have you tried it yet? What did you think?

Don't have one to try yet...

We usually use a 2 gang outdoor box. We drill a hole in the faceplate and run the cables through it. We make the termination inside the box. We use self tappers to mount the camera to the faceplate. We use tapcons to mount the box to masonary surfaces or self tappers to steel. We use the hole in the back to pass the cables from the building to the inside of the box. You won't see any exposed wires. Make sure to fill the hole leading out the back of the box with silicone.

Still looking for a better mousetrap though. A hinged door to replace the faceplate would be great. Also a 2 gang box isn't quite large enough for the bigger domes. You have to screw the faceplate on before mounting the dome, because the dome base covers the faceplate screws.

You have any photos of your handiwork? I would like to see how that is done without having any exposed wires. You can email it or put it on the forum

You have any photos of your handiwork? I would like to see how that is done without having any exposed wires. You can email it or put it on the forum

1336092938996.jpg.e3622dff03dbebf9660d8200b407693b.jpg

So basically you just run the wires from the camera into the box through the hole on the cover?

Thanks for the photo.

Yes. The box is there for many reasons.

1) waterproof the connections

2) smaller hole for cable pass through. Connectors never pass through the hole. Cables are terminated after cable is pulled through.

3) if using cat5 with baluns, easier if they are outside with the camera. Don't have to service inside and out. Just have to access outside.

4) if your camera has a 5way switch built into the wire for the OSD, you will want that outside.

5) if you put a bnc t inline for your handheld monitor, you want that safe from weather too.

6) if you ever have to replace the camera, easier to remove from faceplate than wall surface. If new camera is different size, simply swap out faceplate for a fresh mounting surface.

Might be more good reasons too, but not remembering them at the moment.

I try to put the box on the inside if possible, then stub conduit outside to the camera.

What if you need to make changes? Then you need to access outside where the camera is, then possibly also the inside too? What if the inside is very hard to get to?

I always place the junction box adjacent to the camera and my reason for so doing is that placing extra holes in a water resistant box lid causes loss of integrity to the water resistance of the box and so does the extra weight on the lid.

If you need to run a loop from the junction box to the camera use corrugated plastic conduit or metal flexi to the JB and the cable back to the DVR/NVR either through the wall at the back of the box or through plastic or metal conduit along the face

You need to have a JB of IP65 or greater

By the way I terminate in the JB so that I can access the connections without disturbing the camera when I need to.

Four screws is no trouble at all and unless the JB is cast metal and designed for the job hinges are a bad idea.

I try to put the box on the inside if possible, then stub conduit outside to the camera.

What if you need to make changes? Then you need to access outside where the camera is, then possibly also the inside too? What if the inside is very hard to get to?

What kind changes? Don't need access to the splices/connections to refocus or clean the camera. You can run the conduit horizontal outside the building and stub into wherever it's easily accessible, or go straight into the building and mount the box where it's easily accessible, you have a little bit of room to play with. If it's not possible to stub into the building to minimize penetrations, then I'm a fan of putting a box next to or above the camera and running flex conduit over to it.