J-Telectro

CAT5 breakout technique?

Hi,

I'm new to Cat5 cable and I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect multiple cameras

without running unnecessary cable.

Scenario 1- I want to put 1 camera in each of 4 bedrooms. The main cable run should go down

the hall that leads to the bedrooms,and then each individual camera should have it's own pair

from the Cat5 main cable.

I could strip the sheath off the outside of the main cable where the first pair must exit and then

run the other pairs individually to their respective rooms.

Or I could try to cut the sheath where each pair must exit and then splice a second Cat5 cable

for each room.

Total run for the main cable is about 60 feet and the runs in the bedrooms are not over 20 feet.

There is no access to the attic so these runs have to be made along the ceiling or baseboard.

I can either run a separate power cable or try to power the cameras locally.

What's the best way to do it?

Scenario 2- Similar situation but I want to install 4 cameras outside along my fence. The main run

will be about 125 feet to the first camera then I need to split off to the left and right to the other

cameras. It will be about 75 feet in one direction and about 100 feet in the other (for 2 cameras).

What about waterproofing if I make splices? Runs will be done in conduit underground but it is

common here to have water standing in underground conduit and junction boxes according to

electricians I have talked to. I also plan a separate power run.

John

Get a 4 channel balun and possibly power the camera locally.

A camera in the bedroom....creepy!

Why not make home runs and use on cat 5 for each camera? If you ever want to go to IP it is in place. ALso you can use baluns for signal and another pair for power. How much are you going to save by splitting that cat 5 cable? Right around 12 cents per foot.

I run one cat5 per 4 cameras to a central junction box where each cable is broken out into an 8 way IDC JB

From there I run a single cat5 to each camera and add the power to the remaining pairs at an adjacent JB.

If I then later need to uprate to IP I simply add the extra cables from the breakout JB back to the NVR.

This is to save time which ultimately equates to money. I always charge for materials so its no financial burden.

If I have a IR camera or heated housing or both or a long run, I can run an appropriate size single power line alongside the Cat5

to reduce voltage drop and give enough current.

A camera in the bedroom....creepy!

LOL! Actually they are pointing out the windows. The 4 channel balun and local power

sounds good.

Why not make home runs and use on cat 5 for each camera?

I'd like to but that's a lot of ugly cable down the hall. I'm hoping that one run

can be placed without making things look too bad. Outdoors that would work

fine.

I run one cat5 per 4 cameras to a central junction box where each cable is broken out into an 8 way IDC JB

From there I run a single cat5 to each camera and add the power to the remaining pairs at an adjacent JB.

If I then later need to uprate to IP I simply add the extra cables from the breakout JB back to the NVR.

For the outside installation that should work great.I was wondering about the proper way to do

the secondary runs.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Another question: Can you break the twisted pairs out of the main cable and run them individually

for several feet? (Indoor installation). Will they untwist or suffer other problems with interference,

impedance mismatch etc?

Thanks,

John

hi. simple way is a 4 way balun at DVR then cat5 to area to another 4 way balun then coax from balun to camera.

cat5 is always best as a single run with no connections.

4CHPassiveUTPVideoBalunYJS2044TR4-1.jpg

I would leave the 4 port balun at the DVR and run the 4 cat5 cables to the cameras. Just find a way to get the wires there...has to be another way and cat5 is not that thick

hi. simple way is a 4 way balun at DVR then cat5 to area to another 4 way balun then coax from balun to camera.

I'll give that a try thanks!

I would leave the 4 port balun at the DVR and run the 4 cat5 cables to the cameras. Just find a way to get the wires there...has to be another way and cat5 is not that thick

Yeah, I really need to rethink this. I need to find a better route for the cables. Thanks.

One other question..do the newer IP and Megapixel cameras use all 4 pairs in the cat5 cable?

Thanks everyone for your help, it saved me from causing myself a lot of extra work.

John

[quote="J- I'd like to but that's a lot of ugly cable down the hall. I'm hoping that one run

can be placed without making things look too bad. Outdoors that would work

fine.

You're not running the cables along the floor are you ?

You're not running the cables along the floor are you ?

I was thinking about running them along the ceiling, where the ceiling meets the wall.

I don't have an attic or a basement and the walls are plaster over metal lath.

I really don't want to cut out channels in the plaster and then try to plaster over

the cables.

Now I'm thinking about Surface Raceway like Wiremold down by the baseboards

but that is really expensive.

John