G22

Panasonic WJ-HD500B

I was going to buy one of these off ebay for testing and getting some experience but the price was around $700. I did download the pdf file and got to read up on it. don't know if i still have it though. I was out bid in the last minute ...

these units are known for heat issues which shorten the hard drive life. We have installed a few of these units in the past when they were new and found that the drives only lasted for a year of so. Even panasonic tech support claims that this was normal.

It was a very good unit for its day and for $700 I guess it's not a bad deal. Would I use it, probably not. I would go for a HD220 or even a HD300 Series if your looking for reliability. Also the newer units have better video clip export capabilities using a networked PC and a web browser.

The heat issue that you are referring to is when you use a 7,200 RPM hard drive in the WJ-HD500 or WJ-HD500A unit. The WJ-HD500B unit was redesigned with fans for each hard drive to support 7,200 RPM drives. If you have a non B unit, just make sure that you use 5,400 RPM drive, and do not store the unit in a lock box.

The WJ-HD500 is a great unit that holds its value. It is still a hot item, and last a long time.

Remember that with any DVR, the hard drives are considered consumables, and will need to be replaced eventually. Some places with high use, and lots of motion detection may only get 1 year of live per hard drive, other places will last 3 years or more.

The Software (I believe) is WV-AS50. It can be used to remotely access the files on the HD-500. You would have to go through a dealer to get it.

The DVR has a browser based interface built in. Program the unit with a static IP and you're in. The only downside is that you have to have the external CD or DVD drive to save video without the software.

The latest similar PN is WV-AS65 for the HD300 series. I'm not sure if it is backwards compatible with the HD500.

Firstly I'd like to apologize for dragging up such an old thread but its relevent.

2nd Its my 1st post so a big hello

The Software (I believe) is WV-AS50. It can be used to remotely access the files on the HD-500. You would have to go through a dealer to get it.

The DVR has a browser based interface built in. Program the unit with a static IP and you're in. The only downside is that you have to have the external CD or DVD drive to save video without the software.

The latest similar PN is WV-AS65 for the HD300 series. I'm not sure if it is backwards compatible with the HD500.

I have a hd500 which i need to backup some footage of my cars having paint stripper thrown over by my old boss. The only thing is I dont have the dvd or cdr. I do have the above software but cant get the files onto my PC. It says its downloading them I can view using the software but I cant find the files on the PC. I do have a wj-ar200 dvdr unit but need a step down transformer 240-110. can i use that to backup

Any help

Thanks

M