jhill

Help me choose the exact cams and DVR indoor setup

I own a small restaurant (approx 800 sqft) and I would like to set up 4 analog cameras around the front of the restaurant. Specifically I want to have 2 cameras above the POS (cash register) monitoring and recording all the transactions between my staff and the customer. There are some trust issues between myself and the business partners, including the staff. Since I am not present at the restaurant in the late night hours and weekends I would like to have an excellent cctv system directly above the POS that can view what goes in (or doesn't go in) to the cash register.

After lurking and perusing the forums I found that the bundled "kits" are a waste of time.

So I want to match great cams with a great dvr. I read that the CNB dome indoor cams are good. I see Qvis or Dahua recommended for the DVR.

My main priority for the DVR is remote viewing using windows, iphone, or mac os x.

My budget is 600-700.

One more ques. How are the Cantek bundled systems sold on 123securityproducts?

Thanks in advance!

So I want to match great cams with a great dvr. I read that the CNB dome indoor cams are good. I see Qvis or Dahua recommended for the DVR.

My main priority for the DVR is remote viewing using windows, iphone, or mac os x.

My budget is 600-700.

<----- click that big picture ad to the left for a good start

Now as far as POS cams... have you thought of covert cameras? If the cams are obvious and the staff know the till is being watched, they may stop any skimming (ideally, although then you won't know who's been doing it), or they may simply find more creative ways to hide it. Covert cams in this case will be more effective at catching them in the act. I've done it using mini board cameras hidden in objects like smoke detectors... I've done it with a box cam and a long lens (for a tight shot on the cash drawer), hiding inside a "broken" corner of a ceiling tile, as well as behind a vent grate.

Now as far as POS cams... have you thought of covert cameras? If the cams are obvious and the staff know the till is being watched, they may stop any skimming (ideally, although then you won't know who's been doing it), or they may simply find more creative ways to hide it. Covert cams in this case will be more effective at catching them in the act. I've done it using mini board cameras hidden in objects like smoke detectors... I've done it with a box cam and a long lens (for a tight shot on the cash drawer), hiding inside a "broken" corner of a ceiling tile, as well as behind a vent grate.

I can agree and disagree. There are different schools of thought - no right and no wrong, just depends on what works for the environment and the business.

Just a little background on myself - I've been performing some loss prevention services for some of my clients who own small restaurants and the employees have taught me quite alot over the years. They can be very creative. I started doing this in 2007 and I've personally caught roughly 70 people from 30 locations stealing money, stealing bulk product (food, cleaning supplies, etc.), giving things away & doing things like opening late, closing early, clocking in or out for others plus other actions that cost the employer money.

Something I've learned over the years when it comes to surveillance, even if the employees know the place is under video surveillance, sometimes it just doesn't matter. Either they don't care, forget they're being recorded, or think nobody is watching at that moment (which is usually the case) and that nobody is going to go back and review video (wrong on their part - done regularly and is how they get caught).

I do believe cctv acts as a deterrent - for the mostly honest employees who might think twice about giving in to temptation, but the theives are going to be theives and try to figure a way to get away with it. Soundy, like you said "they may simply find more creative ways to hide it" and they do. But, somewhere along the line they slip and get caught. And, my feeling with covert surveillance: once the first person is caught everyone is going to know the cameras are there. It's hard to keep something like that a secret from the people who work there everyday.

I have a couple of clients who say "make it easy to steal so it's easy to find" and others who say "make it difficult so they'll think twice" and believe if they make it hard to steal the theives will quit and find jobs elsewhere (which has happened many times after I've installed cctv systems).

I find the best deterrent is to let the employees know you're watching by calling and providing some positive comments on the job they're doing. I like to put a positive spin on things for morale and to let employees know 1 - that the cctv system is being utilized, and 2 - that's it not just for "bad" purposes.

So, different schools of thought. In my opinion it is up to the owne to ultimately decide was is right for the environment after options have been presented and discussed.

I own a small restaurant

hi with it being a Restaurant is all money done at till area ??? there are some good DVRs out with good POS. and for a restaurant till money and orders to kitchen can also be logged (if you have electronic ordering) that way you can see orders as well as till cash

for a little 4 way i would look at the aver hybrid it has utp pos and searchable data base i.e put in pepsi and it will tell you how many was sold that day.

the good thing about going hybrid for the dvr 1 of your cameras (or all) can be a good mp camera which will give you good coverage of your cash register area

Thanks so much for the detailed replies with so much advice!

Please can someone recommend the exact CNB cams best for indoor?

And what is the best DVR for remote viewing purposes? I heard the Q-SEE dvr has a great remote viewing software setup?