bmsgaffer86

Hidden or Concealed Installs - Ideas, examples?

Hey everyone. I'm mostly new to CCTV and new to the forums. I did install an 8 camera setup for my dad with cameras that were top of the line in the mid 90's...

Anyway, I have a few megapixel outdoor rated bullet IP cameras on the way (2 x IQeye 832N and 2 x ACTi TCM-1231) for various reasons wanting to secure my new home. I live in a nice (middle-class), well maintained neighborhood and I don't want the obvious bullet cameras sticking out.

I plan on mounting them up under the eaves where they are somewhat concealed by downspouts and angles of the house, but I was hoping to get some ideas for concealing them so at a glance no one would know they are there (mostly for aesthetics, and so people don't snicker us at the block parties ).

I am handy (engineer by trade), and I am willing to build my own, I just need some good ideas or examples! Any thoughts?

Brandon

i love putting concealed cameras in toilets.

they are so small they cant even see them.

if anything they are good for a laugh.

I think you'd be surprised that mostly no one will even notice them. YOU know they're there and that makes you feel like everyone will know too, but cameras on a house from the street are pretty small, really. No one looks that closely. Install them on a weekday if you can, when everyone else is at work. That way they aren't watching you do the install all afternoon like they would if it was a weekend. If you can get them in place without attracting too much attention, no one will really know. Your security is no ones business. And the day something happens to THEIR property and you happen to catch something on your cameras- you'll be a hero. Go forth and install paranoid free.

Yea, I just stick with small, white domes under my soffits. No one has ever noticed! I think the smaller size of some domes is better - some of the more vandal-proof designs are naturally bigger, and stick out more.

Whatever you do, try not to waste your best positioning for good images. Hiding them good isn't worth having to give up resolution of your car/front door/etc.

Yea, I just stick with small, white domes under my soffits. No one has ever noticed!

A few people have noticed my cameras. I can tell because they look directly into the camera and do a double-take. Also, some of the neighborhood kids took great pleasure in finding each and every one of my cameras and pointing them out to all their friends. In some cases this has been a good thing, with an apparent deterrent effect; one of the neighborhood MILFs used to walk her dog past my house every evening until she noticed the camera; I haven't seen her since.

Same here, we have audio - so it was funny one of the nuisance kids (who knew the camera was there) made sure to point it out to his friends "Hey he has a camera". Well he already knew that...

One the plus side he no longer cuts through our yard...goes through the neighbors yard instead.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29539&hilit=pinhole+intercom