BiGKaT

Help with DVR selection and some questions about dvr

I am away from home at the present but I believe I ended up back in 2009 with an lta-rt4 but not sure. It is a 4 channel. I do know I got it from the manufacturer and the girl said I would probably want more cameras later. She was right lol.

Video is not bad for my purpose. I have 520 to 570 line cameras on it.

It uses a program that I think is the same as the dahua dvr.. connect over the internet and it's a web access screen that looks the same. It needs to run in explorer in compatablility mode. I wish I could upgrade that but have no clue if that can be done. I would like to be able to use explorer without setting compatability.

So I am now looking for a dvr with more cameras.

Dahua full D1 16 Channel Security DVR with Real Time D1 Resolution, is one of the units on my intrest list.

I have been looking around and it seems to be the most bang for the buck.

Does it require the remote by internet to be run in explorer and compatability mode ?

Second question is how big a HD should I get so I will get about a months worth of record for 8 cameras? I think I will end up with 8 now. I have six installed but can only use 4 now. I would like to put a few indoors also.

I get over a month now for 4 cameras. I think i have a TB installed or could be 1.5 tb

Can the unit I mentioned be run in less than 30 fps D! if it's a camera I don't need that on?

I am guessing it would be a better picture than my unit which I think does just cif . Not really sure if it has one channel of D1 but I doubt it.Picture is not bad on mine but it's almost impossible to read plate numbers if the car is not within maybe 20 feet of the camera.

Does it require the remote by internet to be run in explorer and compatability mode ?

It will work in IE without needing compatibility mode. Not sure about other browsers. However, the PSS software (thick client) is available for Windows and Mac, and there are apps for most smartphones as well.

Second question is how big a HD should I get so I will get about a months worth of record for 8 cameras? I think I will end up with 8 now. I have six installed but can only use 4 now. I would like to put a few indoors also.

I get over a month now for 4 cameras. I think i have a TB installed or could be 1.5 tb

You can never have too much storage, so always go with the biggest drive you can afford. You usually save a bit as you go bigger - for example, looking that price for WD Caviar Black drives from my regular local retailer, 500GB is $110, 1TB (twice the space) is $120... 1.5TB goes for $155, and 2TB for $210.

Can the unit I mentioned be run in less than 30 fps D! if it's a camera I don't need that on?

Absolutely. You can adjust resolution and framerate on each channel individually.

I am guessing it would be a better picture than my unit which I think does just cif .

D1 is four times the resolution of CIF - 720x480 vs 352x240.

Thanks.

My old unit is a GenIV JS-XLA4 so I would imagine the D1 will be much better.

They don't make a firmware update for my current unit either and it can only be accessed by using explorer compatability mode. I will use it in the cabin and get a newer one for home.

Prices have come down, that cost me 425 back in 09.

Would 2 TB hard drive give me around a month with approx 6-8 cameras with two running in d1 and the rest in cif?

I wish I could go network ip but from what I see they are really expensive. I will have to get some more cameras also.

Are the nvr setups with ip cameras about twice or so the price of analog after all is done?

I wish I could go network ip but from what I see they are really expensive. I will have to get some more cameras also.

Are the nvr setups with ip cameras about twice or so the price of analog after all is done?

Not any more. Note the ad to the left: that's a 2MP weatherproof dome. The same vendor has an NVR that will record up to 16 of them at full 1080p resolution, up to a total of 120fps, for $450 (or up to 240fps total at 720p). For $165 they have an eight-port switch, with four of the ports supporting PoE, so you just plug the cameras in, no need to run separate power to them.

Once you factor in the cost of a power supply and such, it really doesn't cost THAT much more for the megapixel system... and you get the higher resolution which *in some cases* means you can use one camera in place of two.