BiGKaT

Is D1 quality what you see in real time?

Is the picture from the camera that you see on the remote service through explorer going to be as good as it gets. Say I have a CIF quality dvr and upgrade to a D1 will the live image be better? or is that as much as I am going to get quality wise from the camera?

Is the quality of the picture affected by the dvr?

I find there is not that much difference inbetween the picture I see of my CIF recording and that of the real time viewing. I was wondering if quality of picturwould go up all around as D1 is 4 times better. My cameras are 520 TV or above sony ccd's

It really depends on the DVR. Some may not re-stream video at full D1, especially if you have a slow connection.

My Q-See DVR streams the CIF sub-stream remotely by default. When viewing the feed I can right-click on the image and select the D1 main-stream. There's a noticeable difference in quality toggling between the two. My cameras are all 600TVL or above. However, the DVR will only send the D1 main-stream remotely to one PC, all the others get the CIF substream even if they try to select the main stream.

I've been told that the FULLD1 DVRs default to the D1 main-stream and allow up to 20 remote devices to view the main-stream simultaneously.

So, as Soundy says, it depends on the DVR.

From personal experience you will most likely see a little bit cleaner image. If your camera is CIF quality it will record in that level, you will have to upgrade your camera(s) to record and view in D1.

It also depends on what kind of DVR unit you are using. If it is a stand alone unit and has HDMI, I recommend plugging it into a nice HD monitor or HD TV for viewing/reviewing to get the best picture and quality available.

Any other questions feel free to message me.

If your camera is CIF quality it will record in that level, you will have to upgrade your camera(s) to record and view in D1.

cameras have nothing to do with recording in cif or D1........ that is down to your recorder.

It all depends on FPS also, not only D1 quality. D1 is only what resolution it will record the camera. If the FPS is

not 30 or higher, you will not playback in realtime. As for streaming in D1, it also depends on connection speed

and the more cameras your viewing, the less realtime you'll be viewing because each camera will take up upload

speed and the more cameras your viewing, will slow down upload speed. If you have a DVR with full D1 every

channel and every channel 30fps, it's best to watch 2 or 3 cameras at a time if using explorer or PSS.

It all depends on FPS also, not only D1 quality. D1 is only what resolution it will record the camera. If the FPS is not 30 or higher, you will not playback in realtime. As for streaming in D1, it also depends on connection speed and the more cameras your viewing, the less realtime you'll be viewing because each camera will take up upload speed and the more cameras your viewing, will slow down upload speed. If you have a DVR with full D1 every channel and every channel 30fps, it's best to watch 2 or 3 cameras at a time if using explorer or PSS.

What????

Is there anyone that 'does' understand what I said?

I'm not even sure you do.

If the FPS is not 30 or higher, you will not playback in realtime

30fps for NTSC *is* realtime. You can't go higher.

hi. 15fps max is all that is needed ... you cant notice anything above that. but even 15fps is not needed in ever application 7.5 fps is good

Are you asking if it's what you see remotely over the Internet? I doubt a consumer level DVR will let you stream D1 in full real time resolution. CIF at 30FPS uncompressed uses about 36.5 Mbps. I think D1 is something like 146 Mbps. Most home Internet connections have about 1-5 Mbps upload speed. So even with the high level of compression of H.264, you may run into a bottleneck trying to upload your video at a quality level that is near what you see on your video monitor connected to the DVR. Then again, I just checked the bit rate on my QC448 and at 30FPS in D1 it is 4,096 Kbps (4.1 Mbps) so in theory with a fast Internet connection you could stream it. However, on my unit the extra stream for streaming video is only 256 Kbps. Therefore, the image is much more pixelated and not as sharp. However, it is still rather good when viewed on my phone or iPad.

If you are wondering if D1 is as good as what you see on your monitor connected to the DVR I would say no but close. On my system the D1 I play back is not as sharp as what I see real time. I think what I see real time is before the encoding / compression and the image quality goes down once compressed. However, this will vary with DVR models depending on the quality of the encoding / compression used.

You should not see any difference in image quality between a DVR at 7.5 FPS versus 30 FPS with all else being equal (quality of encoder, camera resolution, etc.) The FPS will only give you a smoother moving image. Each frame of the 7.5 FPS video should be just as sharp (or fuzzy) as each frame at 30 FPS.

I like the smoothness of 30 FPS but for home surveillance I doubt one really needs more than 7.5 or 15 FPS. I think the camera quality is what is going to make or break the system.

I'm returning my QC448 with 8 600 line cameras to Costco due to an issue with the QC448 units crashing routers. Will try next the QT528 that does D1 on all 8 channels at 30FPS that only comes with 4 cameras. I'd rather it come with only 4 and use the savings to go toward a few higher quality cameras.

Edited by Guest

I agree with what you are saying. FYI, the extra stream is for mobile streaming and main stream is for a PC using explorer or software. The reason the extra stream is lower than the main stream is because the manufacturers

know that we are using a smaller screen than a PC and our upload speed is slower than a hard wired modem.

On my iphone, cif at 15fps and 256kbps, my cameras are extremely crisp. But on my ipad in full screen mode,

it's not as crisp. Either way you look at it, I doubt you can get the same quality streaming over the internet

compared to a monitor plugged directly into your DVR.