Integrator Asia

Best DVR location? In the Security Room or Data Center

To All,

I like to inquire about the best design for DVR location.

Should I put in the Security Guard Office or in Data Center.

Why I am thinking of Security Office?

1. This is for Security use right?

2. The security should be the one to control and manage the system.

3. For security purposes. No offense to IT guys, I am an IT admin myself but the system should also be physically safe right?

Just my 2 cents worth, I would put it in the data center because of security, enviroment, and backup power. The security room could then access it through the network or internet. The security department could still have complete control of the DVR(s) just not next to them.

To All,

I like to inquire about the best design for DVR location.

Should I put in the Security Guard Office or in Data Center.

Why I am thinking of Security Office?

1. This is for Security use right?

2. The security should be the one to control and manage the system.

3. For security purposes. No offense to IT guys, I am an IT admin myself but the system should also be physically safe right?

What we don't know from your post is what kind of business is this? Will the Guard Station be staffed 24 hours a day every day of the year? If so what if there is an incident and security gets distracted; will someone try to capitalize and damage the DVR?

In my situation we put a 16 Channel DVR in the IT Room (which happens to double as my office). You have to go through another room to get to the IT room and both room doors are locked at all times. Since I have no idea if you have considered this we use a KVM over 80 feet of Cat5 to the security station (desk) where officers sit for their shift. Using their own DVR accounts they have limited control of the DVR including playback and PTZ. The only downside is I can see whatever they do and they can see whatever I am doing at the DVR but it is not a big deal. The positives of this application include less wires to tie down, no extra PC and things are generally more neat at the front desk. In the IT room we connected the DVR and camera power supply to an unused UPS. A few weeks ago the power went out at night but not the cameras which was cool playing back video. Plus, if I am trying different DVR network connections I have everything I need in the IT room.

Yes I could have installed a lock box bolted to the floor for the DVR at the Front Desk but it really was not practical especially since the wire guys were pulling everything (phone and data) at once when we remodeled. Everything was going into the IT room so it made sense to bring the security wires in there as well. I also have the option to give the security personnel a PC so they can view the cameras over the LAN but that would have taken away from real time viewing - something I am not quite ready for at the front desk.

Attached is a picture of out front desk configuration. You can see the monitor and mouse/keyboard, at the far end of the desk, which is all that's needed for our set-up.

Desk.jpg.cfc3ae9333c4f2eb4417fbb07654a23b.jpg