dbooksta

Best stand-alone D1 DVRs for remote usage: Q-See? EYEsurv?

I'm looking at Full-D1 16-channel stand-alone DVRs. I'll be installing one in a utility closet, so I'm most concerned with its remote usability.

I saw a recommendation for Dahua DVRs, but reading their manuals didn't get the feeling their software or support is that great.

Q-See's Elite DVRs, while a few hundred dollars more, seem like they have more mature software and support.

Are my impressions correct? Are there any other DVRs I should be considering given my objectives?

My experience with a four-channel Dahua, pretty much everything you can do through the OSD (configuration-wise), you can do through the web client.

From q-see for the dvr you're looking at-

It is compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 and Windows operating systems, supports substream for internet viewing, and has mobile surveillance capabilities with the latest 3G/4G smartphones including iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry and Android.

It also has it's own CMS software. Which of those do you need or is it that you just want all of them available? Which don't PSS support? The thing you have to also investigate somehow is if you need a particular remote capability, you need to confirm that the latest version isn't buggy. Just because a q-see dvr now has an ipad app doesn't mean it's working to full potential and not buggy. That happens to be new to q-see, so I'd look at firmware versions of what you need and see where they're at and what fixes they tackled- if any. With my 408 q-see dvr, the latest version of mcs remote software is buggy. The older version that comes on cd with the package actually works better at the moment. So even though it supports a lot- maybe more than PSS, confirm that all is well for what you really need. Cause the apple and android apps are new and not mature by any means yet. Doesn't mean they don't work well though. Just judge more by the book, not the cover.

Q-See is a more consumer friendly brand than a true professional grade piece of equipment. Q-See is often sold at big box stores. Big box stores are good for cereal and Popsicles, but I wouldn't ever buy electronics there expecting high end results.

Dahua DVRs give very good performance an features for a lower price than other more expensive brands.

Other brand to consider would be HIKVision. They sell more

DVRs than anyone in the world and for good reason. They are super solid, have great features, and are very competitively priced.

All depends on what you need it to do and your budget.

What software do you need and what looks more matured at q-see?

Just read through the manuals:

Q-See has step-by-step print-quality instructions with copious screenshots and page references for both setup and remote viewing. There is nothing like, "If you're not setup like this call us and we'll figure something out." They provide a walkthough for every contingency I could think of in advance.

Q-See includes dynamic DNS. Some suggest dyn.com if you don't have a static IP, and claims it's free (it's not).

Q-See looks like they do frequent firmware and software updates. You can't even tell what versions the Dahua manuals might apply to, much less whether they provide updates.

I read everything I could find on Dahua (though, again, for all I can tell a lot of the documentation may apply to entirely different product lines) and still don't know for sure where I'll get tablet/smartphone apps or how they'll work. And some retailers are very explicit that you try their DVRs at your own risk: If you can't get it working, and they don't solve your problem, you can't return it. Doesn't leave one with the impression that it's going to be a user-friendly or well-supported product.

Q-See is a more consumer friendly brand than a true professional grade piece of equipment. Q-See is often sold at big box stores. Big box stores are good for cereal and Popsicles, but I wouldn't ever buy electronics there expecting high end results.

That's a cute and snappy notion, but don't confuse where a product is available with the full potential of a product. You're not gonna find a q-see premium or elite dvr at Costco or Sams Club. You'll find value packages there, but that doesn't mean better quality isn't available from q-see.

Dahua DVRs give very good performance an features for a lower price than other more expensive brands.

This can also be said of q-see dvr's. I think good quality can be had from either, but if you buy their cheaper gear that's what you'll get. If you're talking about a good 16 channel dvr, you'd probably do well with either a q-see QT536 or an

Dahua FULL D1 16 channel DVR. The real question boils down to who would you rather put faith in for excellent, attentive, and fast customer support. If you're a homeowner, maybe a camera being down for a few weeks while you wrangle through the RMA process is ok. Maybe having no dvr in line for a few weeks while you wait for your replacement or a return of your fixed gear is ok. Maybe relying on amazon or costco will work for you. But if you're a business or even a homeowner with serious needs, then you have to consider some things beyond just the choice- like who will best support you after the dollars are spent. I think the quality gear is out there, but choose wisely where you buy it.

Q-See has step-by-step print-quality instructions with copious screenshots and page references for both setup and remote viewing. There is nothing like, "If you're not setup like this call us and we'll figure something out." They provide a walkthough for every contingency I could think of in advance.

That's great for sure. But if you DO need to speak with someone personally because the beautifully printed documents aren't getting you there, then you'll see the less than good side of q-see. Q-see has helped me, but it was pulling teeth to be honest.

Q-See includes dynamic DNS. Some suggests dyn.com if you don't have a static IP, and claims it's free (it's not).

Q-see has their own DNS thing but you're wrong, dyn.com is free- and it's by far the better choice from my experience using dyn with q-see dvr.

Q-See looks like they do frequent firmware and software updates. You can't even tell what versions the Dahua manuals might apply to, much less whether they provide updates.

They do update software and firmware, but don't confuse the 'update' dates on the help links with actual software updates. Only rev numbers/dates are the indication of updates.

I'm not trying to argue for either choice- just trying to clarify if I can.

Just read through the manuals:

specs / books / manuals dont mean much. and its not the way to buy a dvr.

look at what you need it to do. q-see is not full D1 (Elite) if your looking to use apps q-see use generic apps (not there own) so your limited updates are slow getting to q-see website (q-see dont make the dvr) its know as a TVT. who make for q-see/swann/cmn/killer.

dahua. updates are direct from there website so are the manuals. dedicated apps (with a brand new one out (have control or dvr)

one thing about buying rebranded units is finding out who the makers is. you then have a few options for updates and firmare/software.

an other to look at is the aver hybrids. again dedicated apps / direct links to downloads/ free ddns service. and in the same price range.

Q-see has their own DNS thing but you're wrong, dyn.com is free- and it's by far the better choice from my experience using dyn with q-see dvr.

What am I missing? http://dyn.com/dns/ shows only paid plans.

DynDNS and No-IP have free hostnames. I've used them for years for free and it has been great. If I needed that option commercially I would certainly pay them.

Also, I have an 8-ch Qvis Zeus and it has been wonderful. Does everything I could want:

Latest thing I just finished setting up is the 2-way audio! Now my voice thunders throughout the home if I click 'start dialog' in the browser. " title="Applause" />

Ohhhh, ok. Dyndns has changed and made it more difficult for ONE free host name, but it's still doable.

http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-pro-free-trial/

In an nutshell you sign up for a pro free trial, cancel within 14 days, and you get to keep one free host name.

I've only had one .tv host name all along for my dvr, which is why I never realized anything changed. Bottom line, you can still have one free host name. But if you have more than one free host name, don't mess with them! I'd still choose dyn even though it's a pain to get the free host name.

From the dyn forums-

http://www.dyndnscommunity.com/questions/22142/free-hostnames.html

http://www.dyndnscommunity.com/questions/20968/grandfathered-free-accountchange-host-name.html

I've never had a single glitch yet and from what I've read about q-see's free DNS, whoever provides that, it down sometimes. It least it was frequent enough for me to not choose that option a year ago.

DynDNS and No-IP have free hostnames. I've used them for years for free and it has been great. If I needed that option commercially I would certainly pay them.

I've also been using DynDNS for many years and actually have a paid account. The price went up and my latest renewal will be $20/yr. which gives me 32 hostnames. I'm currently using 25 (each a different location) and charge my clients a small yearly fee. It's an easy sell as they don't need to pay $10-$15/mo. for a static IP they'll never remember anyway. At the end of the year it comes out to a very nice dinner for my wife and I

For what it's worth:

I have purchased 2 Q-See dvr systems from Costco. The last one, a QT528 developed a problem after a few months and would not boot. The Q-See web page directed me to a special RMA page for Costco customers, they get a little better warranty service and was also contacted by Costco customer service and given a contact to let them know if Q-See customer service does not take care of my problem to my satisfaction. The dvr needed to be returned, Q-see sent me a return label for UPS and less than 2 weeks later (not sure how long it was) I received what appeared to be a new dvr. Q-See paid for shipping both ways. Overall, I was very pleased with the customer service.

However, I am thinking now my next dvr will be a dahua ( or a brand made by dahua) because it is the only brand that has any type of software for linux (Linux PSS 4.04.2 works with kubuntu 12.04) . It works with my 4 channel Q-see but not the QT528, so I am considering a new 8 or 16 channel full D1 dahua dvr, just have not found the one I want, I also need to make sure it works with version 4.04.2 of the software because dahua does not intend to upgrade the linux software.

joe