cgcmgr

Heat Affecting My Camera?

Hi everyone,

I know this is a CCTV forum and I'm going to ask a question about an IP camera, but I was hoping someone out there may have an opinion on this matter.

For the last 2 days, my Axis 215PTZ IP Camera has malfunctioned ONLY during the day. It works fine in the morning and at early evening and beyond, but during day hours, I cannot connect to it via my web browser. So far the camera is working today and it is 1:40PM Eastern Time. I'm guessing it is heat that is affecting it. In the morning where my camera is, it is cool and that also goes for the evening. However, during the day the sun beats down on the camera's enclosure (cheapo enclosure with a fan that only goes on during extreme temps). I'm wondering if the camera is overheating. It may also be the PoE Splitter that sends power to the camera, maybe it is overheating and not sending power correctly.

Here are my symptoms. In mid-day, when I try to connect through my web browser, I can sometimes get to my login screen and other times I cannot (times out). When I do get to the login screen and login, it never goes to the video feed, it just times out. Also, I use Blue Iris Software to view my cameras remotely and the camera feed is also down in Blue Iris. Only until around late afternoon does the feed come back.

Axis has an IP Utility program that when run, shows any Axis camera on my LAN. It shows the IP address and the Mac address. When I can't connect to the camera during the day, I run that utility and it shows the camera as being on the LAN, but when I check properties, it says not accessible. What does it mean that the utility program is seeing the camera? Does it mean the camera is getting power, but malfunctioning? Does it mean the power could be down, but because there is a connection to the camera from my router, the camera can still be seen?

I'm trying to pinpoint the problem. I may have to add a fan that constantly spins to the camera enclosure and on top of my PoE Splitter if in fact it is a heat issue.

Anyone out there have any opinions?

Chris

ill put my money on overheating. try to bypass the thermostat in the housing so the fan always works see if it helps. or bring it indoors for a day to test.

Well, for starters why not permanently wire the existing fan to run 24/7. I really doubt heat could affect the camera like that. But hey, I've never used IP before, maybe their electronics are more sensitive. Could be some loose connections that is made worse by the heat as well?

Yeah, I have to see if I know how to bypass the thermostat. I think I need a fan running 24/7

Easiest way, just take the power wires from the fan (red and black most likely) and connect them directly to the incoming power for the cooling system or for the camera. As long as the voltage and power type match (12VDC fan will fry on 24VAC, 24VAC fan won't work on 12VDC), you should be good-to-go!

Well, it definitely looks like a heat issue. The days the camera didn't work the temp was in the 80s and the temp has been in the 60s and 70s these last few days and the camera has been working fine. I will definitely try to get the fan to run all the time and I'm thinking about adding some type of heat shield over the dome to stop the direct sun.

Thanks for all the help,

Chris