Sign in to follow this  
tommyxv

Port Forwarding Help

In your first picture the box is labeled server management with a user name and password. Do you just leave that blank?

hi. have you had your system working with your external ip. (over network not just local ) and also on another network?

80 is your default port but you can change this to make your network secure. pick something from 83 to 5555. and which ever number you pick portforward that to your setup.

you also need to portforward port 8602

hi. have you had your system working with your external ip. (over network not just local ) and also on another network?

80 is your default port but you can change this to make your network secure. pick something from 83 to 5555. and which ever number you pick portforward that to your setup.

Tom, just changing port numbers does not make a network secure - it's a false sense of security. It's a good rule of thumb to change default port numbers to ones that aren't used for anything else, but by only doing that it's like locking one door and leaving another open. The open, unprotected communication port is still unprotected, exposed and can be found with port scanning tools.

The VPN router would go between the Fios router and Trendnet switch. First a VPN connection would be made to the vpn router which will create an encrypted tunnel with your device (smartphone, laptop, desktop, etc.). Then you can access resources on the network as if you were physically on the network itself.

Very simply, once connected via the VPN router you would use the internal IP address of the NVR because at this point the vpn router will handle all incoming requests. The VPN router actually assigns an internal ip address over the tunnel.

Now, there are methods where a vpn router isn't needed and a vpn connection can be made directly to a PC or Server on the network. See these threads on getting started:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/4517-virtual-private-network-vpn-enable-incoming-vpn-connections.html

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Vista/PPTP/PPTPVPN.html

Here's another step by step guide on setting up a vpn using windows 7:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/210562/how_to_set_up_vpn_in_windows_7.html

Thanks for this info. I will check out those links. All my PC's are running Win 7 pro 64 so doing a direct VPN connection may be an option.

In your first picture the box is labeled server management with a user name and password. Do you just leave that blank?

I honestly don't know what that is for since the NVR doesn't have any username/pws. That might be for connecting to each IP camera separately I think. Those have usernames/pws. If I did it that way when I won't be able to search the NVR remotely.

Those fields are blank for my Local NVR connection configuration, which works fine.

Hello. When I was at home...I used my public IP address and port 80 and it connected, but when I got to work it wasn't connecting.

I had port 80 forwarding to the NVR PC's internal IP. Opening up port 80 to the NVR allowed me to load my NVR setup and configuration page in any web browser, which freaked me out because anyone could do that if they knew the IP and port so I removed the port forwarding.

The problem is that the NVR software doesn't have any option to setup a username and password. Supposedly its a feature not avail yet per the NVR manual. So everyone is trying to help me setup a secure connection for using the CMS to connect to my NVR at home.

Edited by Guest

Tom, just changing port numbers does not make a network secure - it's a false sense of security.

yes i know all that. but we are not talking on protecting a bank system or nasa. by changing ports will make it more secure than port 80. or just allow mac address through router even more secure.

but at the moment this tread is going way off line to the point of spending more money to the op to use a VPN router inline.

but reading through the posts the op has not even got external connection working yet. (he only has local) on both PCs and mobiles.

external connection need to be working first before he spends more money on VPN.

I set my FIOS Router port 80 to forward to my PC NVR. What prevents someone from putting my public ip in and accessing the NVR?

This is always going to be password protected. It is going to ask you for your user and pass at every log in.

Thank you,

George Boyle

Dallas Wholesale CCTV

I set my FIOS Router port 80 to forward to my PC NVR. What prevents someone from putting my public ip in and accessing the NVR?

This is always going to be password protected. It is going to ask you for your user and pass at every log in.

Thank you,

George Boyle

Dallas Wholesale CCTV

What is password protected? The NVR software does not have password protection, a feature that the manual says is not available yet/

So, I guess I should first get remote access working to the NVR in the CMS. What settings/ports, do you all recommend doing? And then what do I set on the FIOS router? Once I can confirm that is working, I can try the VPN option i guess.

nvr_setup.jpg.f7dac5110199c5fdea39229a8cc8ddd4.jpg

cms_setup.jpg.bf7f473ed57e63999eb65325a3a82f37.jpg

Tom, just changing port numbers does not make a network secure - it's a false sense of security.

yes i know all that. but we are not talking on protecting a bank system or nasa. by changing ports will make it more secure than port 80. or just allow mac address through router even more secure.

but at the moment this tread is going way off line to the point of spending more money to the op to use a VPN router inline.

but reading through the posts the op has not even got external connection working yet. (he only has local) on both PCs and mobiles.

external connection need to be working first before he spends more money on VPN.

Ummm, a solution was provided to use the VPN capabilities built into Windows which will take care of the username/password issue. This won't cost anything but a little time. I guess that part was skipped over? Selective reading perhaps?

And it doesn't matter that's it's not a bank system or nasa. To even say something like that, well, all I can say in reply is I'm happy you're not securing my network. No offense.

tommyxv - you also need to make that whatever ports are being used that they are also opened in the Windows 7 Firewall or any third party firewall that might be installed on the system. Some software will attempt to configure these ports within Windows, some not. I'm guessing that if they didn't bother to secure the software with a username & password that it most likely isn't going to attempt to configure the firewall either.

Groovy...do I put that username and pw in this setup page of the CMS??

[attachment=0]cms_setup.jpg[/attachment]

No. Estabishing a secure connection to the system then connecting to resources on the system are exclusive of each other.

Man, I thought I was following you, but I seem lost again. LOL

So, I first establish the secure connect from my laptop (remotely, lets say at work) to my NVR PC at home. Then I will be able to launch the CMS installed on my laptop and it will be able to connection to the NVR server?

I guess that part was skipped over? Selective reading perhaps?

The VPN router would go between the Fios router and Trendnet switch.

To even say something like that, well, all I can say in reply is I'm happy you're not securing my network. No offense.

ok so everyone must use VPN to view there system ????

no offence taken.

back to the security. we do alot of work with CNB and spend alot of money direct with them each year.

cms does not have passwords (well it does for internal users ) so this alone is good security. not only who ever wants to hack his PC with his cameras on they will also need to know what software he is using.

cms from cnb can not be taken from his system like say a remote viewer it has to be loaded onto every pc or laptop to accsess his system. so that in its self is security along with his ip and port numbers

verizon routers now have high security in place (you cant even change to another make now) you have to use the one with your price plan.

i would go for direct ip link to see if verizon blocks you.

tommyxv

do you have set-top tv with your router ???

I have FIOS TV service (3 STBs), FIOS VoIP Phone and 25/25 FIOS Internet. The Actiontec is the latest revision model with Wireless N. When I log into the Actiontec, all options seems to be available.

Finding out what software I have looked to be pretty easy when I was able to see the NVR software setup page with all options from my web browser at work. That happened when I set port 80 to forward to the internal ip of the NVR pc. I just put in my public IP and the page loaded. I was not able to connect the CMS to the NVR that day from work though. Keep saying no response form server in the CMS. I am assuming I did't not set it up correctly.

To even say something like that, well, all I can say in reply is I'm happy you're not securing my network. No offense.

I see you're in troll mode again.

I see you're in troll mode again.

were does troll come from ......... you say i have selective reading................... well as you see i did not.

i was just pointing out a fact ....... not to spend more money on another inline router..... the op can go VPN later if he wishes too but at this point its not needed.

networking is easy. but for people who are new to it its best to setup first and then sort out security and the likes of ddns after

I thing my remote problem was a combination of things. My firewall at work is blocking a lot of ports though. It seems only port 80 and 443 are open. I know 21 is open because I use an FTP program from work. Some other ports that I use for cPanel and Web Host Manager (2082 and 2086) are blocked.

I got my cameras working through the CNB XViewer iPhone App only on a 3G connection when I am not connected to the network at work.

I still would like to use the CMS connected to the NVR server/Cameras on my laptop from work so that I will still have to work on.