EarlT

Tall aluminum light poles for camera mounting

Are cameras mounted high on aluminum light poles likely to sway or vibrate? I was looking at a 32' hollow aluminum light pole laying on blocks. Kicking in the middle induced quite a bit of vibration. It got me wondering if a camera was mounted high on one of them, would there be a lot of movement in the camera?

I could always try filling it with sand to try dampening vibration. I'm thinking about getting one and mounting a PTZ for a birds eye view of my place.

It's thee material thickness and it's diameter that are just as important as the length.

The shape i.e. the profile too is of significance. I doubt filling the core with sand will

do anything to help. If you are not sure, I can tell you PTZ cameras are often as heavy

as 7 Kg which would snap an aluminium TV pole in half in a light wind.

I don't know what the slenderness ratio should be thats why I always buy mounting

poles and masts from suppliers that manufacture these to order.

It's a type of pole like you would see in parking lots. About 8" diameter at the base and 4" at the top.

It's a type of pole like you would see in parking lots. About 8" diameter at the base and 4" at the top.

hi. lighting pole is good to use.

I have lots of cameras mounted on poles mostly wooden ones and vibration isn't a issue. When it gets windy the pole will sway but thats about it.

like the wireguys say vibration is not a problem. the only thing you might have is sway in high winds. but again this is only noticable if you are using the zoom to near its max. and since this is for your home surroundings i dont see you having that problem

I call those lamp standards, and they are eminently suitable for CCTV Cameras.

They do flex but not sufficient to collapse or buckle. If you use a PTZ look for a spec

that supports vibration compensation. This will help you when you use the zoom to it's fullest.

i.e. zoomed on some distant subject

Thanks for the comments. Now I just need to figure how I'm going to service the cameras that high up a pole.

I was gonna suggest- that's pretty high. Not to mention, it probably won't be the most attractive looking thing on your property either. It may be cool as hell at that vantage point- you'll get quite a view of the neighborhood. Nothing would be nicer than a ptz without viewing limits holding back it's potential! But practically speaking, that high up will be a servicing hassle. And when it comes to viewing your property you'll always be looking down on everything no matter how tight the zoom. With radio antennas, height is might. With a ptz in residential, too high is not good I think. I would only go as high as I absolutely need to see what I need to see, trying to keep a decent horizontal plane and avoid the birds eye view. Every application is different of course, but don't do extreme height unless you really need it, imo.

I can always adjust the height of the camera. The top will be where I mount a anemometer. I have a long driveway and would like to have a full view of it. Thst's why I started looking for tall poles. I have plenty of cameras focused on the important stuff.

I can always adjust the height of the camera. The top will be where I mount a anemometer. I have a long driveway and would like to have a full view of it. Thst's why I started looking for tall poles. I have plenty of cameras focused on the important stuff.

hi EarlT. when you have your pole take it to a local welding shop and do a few mods to it. here in the UK you can buy split lighting poles (swings low from centre) or you can put a concrete base in and mod your lighting post base like this.

1627850_8f4a01b4.jpg

I have been using 4x4 square aluminum poles the past couple of years and they are quite ridged, and have a flat face to mount most brackets and mounts. You can use fence tops that go on 4x4 plastic post to trim out the top nice. I have a 10' stepladder that I can take to any job. Most cams are mounted at 13-14 feet so I am right at the camera for easy service, and work the area nicely. You may have to buy a 20' or 24' stick to get a better price than a cut piece so ask the dealer. I saw an aluminum screen area being built recently. I may price their 4x4 painted stock next time; it may be worth it because powder coat painting is an additional $150 cost per post. Be sure to sink it 4' plus, and mud it in, and or add concrete for a steadier pole in the wind.

hi EarlT. when you have your pole take it to a local welding shop and do a few mods to it. here in the UK you can buy split lighting poles (swings low from centre) or you can put a concrete base in and mod your lighting post base like this.

194821_1.jpg

I like the look of this one. Thanks!

It does look an impressive piece of work. I like the ones with a counter so that when letting it down for service there is a winch to control it's descent and ascent, which can them be removed until required again. It fits into the slot at the side and hooks onto the mast.

This one manufactured in the UK by WEC in Darwen Lancs

194822_1.jpg

All poles sway, some more noticeable than others. You can put sway dampers on them but they aren't very effective in my experience. Doesn't matter how rigid the pole is, even skyscrapers sway, it's just not something you can prevent.

For normal use it doesn't matter, when doing video analytics though pole sway can be a huge problem. The software has to adjust for the picture moving side to side by 15 or 20 pixels.

I can say, for the pro look, you all have nice poles! Mine was on a grave budget by the end, but will share anyways...

They are 4" PVC Conduit, 5' base piece 3' in concrete w/ conduit ran up inside, and a 10' stick stuck on top. Some have a $15 lockbox for several connections.

Are they weak? Ever try to snap a 4" section of conduit? Rather rugged for the money

I take pride that for $25 installed & painted, they are very nice....

Other pro's, they are very easy to work with & have held up to all extreme weather so far. Yes in high winds the sway some, but not that much, barely notice and well worth the shots they give....

One could always use 6 or 12 inch for going higher or sturdier....

What's an aluminum pole cost, 250 to 2000 bucks?!

PART_1340758433722.jpg.94ab25172a03f5a56d13cb49c59f27fc.jpg

PART_1340758521364.jpg.d0c3e30842740d20343a2eb40979c97e.jpg

IMG_20120626_205652.thumb.jpg.ef73e499732c318534cdb30b3d75432f.jpg

Hi

We have installed PTZ Camera on Pole. It is basically an industrial installation and the building itself vibrates. so, The camera also vibrates and we could feel the vibration on the image. at this moment, we cannot change the location of the camera. Is there any mechanical way to arrest the vibrant from the building to the camera. We dont have option of shifting the camera.

Can some one help us, Pls

Just a safety tip... never, ever, ever, ever, ever put a ladder against one of those aluminum poles!

I consider myself very safety conscious, but I am maybe missing your point here, care to elaborate before I manage to find out the hard way....

243646_1.jpg243646_2.jpg