That one looks alright... we've been using the Cisco SFE-1000P, and now its successor, the SF302-08P (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10898/index.html), and found it a really solid performer. Eight 10/100 PoE ports, two GbE ports for connecting the DVR/NAS or uplink. Web management interface too, allows me to control the PoE and power-cycle cameras remotely.

i noticed the power budget was only 46watts.

That's not a lot, but it really depends on how much the cameras need; power budget isn't related to speed or throughput performance. Just for example, looking at the specs for the IQEye Sentinel cameras, they state 7W maximum, so seven of those on the Netgear switch would be pushing it. The Cisco can do up to 15.4W/port for up to four ports, or 7.5W/port on all of them.

I haven't used Netgear in a while, so I can't comment on those models specifically, but I have been successfully using quite a few of the the Cisco small business models SF302-08P / SF302-08MP (MP is higher wattage), and the pricing is close to the Netgear's.

thanks for the replies guys. all the new avig h3 cams are 9 watts. so that tiny netgear is gonna be out for me. I was also looking at some interlogix 8 ports.

http://www.interlogix.com/resources/transmission/003-3300_ge_ds_82_60342.pdf

good deals on those lately, and the power is 180 watts..

anyone use them?

how do you like the cisco management software for the switches?

That one looks alright... we've been using the Cisco SFE-1000P, and now its successor, the SF302-08P (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10898/index.html), and found it a really solid performer. Eight 10/100 PoE ports, two GbE ports for connecting the DVR/NAS or uplink. Web management interface too, allows me to control the PoE and power-cycle cameras remotely.

That's not a lot, but it really depends on how much the cameras need; power budget isn't related to speed or throughput performance. Just for example, looking at the specs for the IQEye Sentinel cameras, they state 7W maximum, so seven of those on the Netgear switch would be pushing it. The Cisco can do up to 15.4W/port for up to four ports, or 7.5W/port on all of them.

your like a switch guru. you have alot of posts in the forums about switches and the like...good job

what specs do I have to consider when determining if a switch has good enough bandwidth for my app..

Any of the switched listed will handle your bandwidth requirements without issue. 84Mbps is not a lot of bandwidth

10/100 for the cameras and 1GB connection for the server.

I've been using Zytel for years. 15.4w per port across all 8 ports with a GigE uplink. Switch is layer 2 and we have had zero issues powering any Poe devices. We have many of these switches at capacity with no problems at all.

http://us.zyxel.com/Products/details.aspx?PC1IndexFlag=20040520161143&CategoryGroupNo=B191241C-31C6-465A-A199-C7B3BB0F9248

I've also used some of Netgears 24 port switches with 12 port POE without issues.

what specs do I have to consider when determining if a switch has good enough bandwidth for my app..

The spec you want to look for is typically know as bandwidth, fabric, backplane capacity, switching capacity, or something similar.

On the ZyXEL, for example, it's listed as "5.6Gbps non-blocking switching fabric"

The spec you want to look for is typically know as bandwidth, fabric, backplane capacity, switching capacity, or something similar.

On the ZyXEL, for example, it's listed as "5.6Gbps non-blocking switching fabric"

so if i know my cams bit rate how do i determine if that bandwidth # is enough for a given situation. like if i have 8 cams at 15mbps per cam. how do you make a calculation?

15mbps x 8 = 120mbps

Your uplink to the server will be 1000mbps so your using 12% of the capacity

and the backplane of the switch will handle a total of 5600mbps roughly.

thanks for the replies guys. all the new avig h3 cams are 9 watts. so that tiny netgear is gonna be out for me. I was also looking at some interlogix 8 ports.

http://www.interlogix.com/resources/transmission/003-3300_ge_ds_82_60342.pdf

good deals on those lately, and the power is 180 watts..

anyone use them?

how do you like the cisco management software for the switches?

honestly i like the UTC (interlogix's owners) switch better for a couple of reasons (comparing apples to apples).

1. it's like 30% cheaper than the Cisco

2. ALL of their switches are Hardened, meaning i can stick it in the worst environment known to man and it will be fine (well within reason, not sure how well it would work in a volcano).

3. IMO the performance is faster on the UTC than it is on the Cisco (more cameras connected)

4. it's not a Cisco

Has anyone messed with these "multiport PoE injectors?"

Any thoughts to save a few bucks on a switch? I was going to pick one up but it looks like its configured to run in passive PoE vs active. I was also confused what power supply to get.

http://beyond-wifi.com/poe/

You can save money on POE switches buying used from ebay (especially if you want more than 8 ports and/or corporate quality), but it can be a bit of a jungle. Some older POE switches don't support the 802.3af standard, many don't have a GB port, and many are no longer supported by the OEM, so you have to pay attention.

Also, newer switches tend to be more energy efficient and less noisy due to less need for cooling fan speed. My Linksys SRW2008P is a reliable, solid, managed 8 port full GB switch, and can be found for under $100. It sounds like a jet engine, one port is used to connect to the network so there are only 7 camera ports, the power budget is 80W (more than enough for my 7 cams), and the interface only works well with IE, but it's been a trooper in the network rack.

If you're not in a hurry, you can find some pretty good hardware for reasonable prices.

I also read the reviews of the model I'm interested in at Amazon and Newegg to make sure I'm not getting a lemon. No reviews, little support? Use caution!

Things to watch for, depending on your needs:

- 802.3af support

- At least one GB port for connecting to the network

- Total power budget and power available per port

- Managed vs unmanaged

- Do all (or enough) ports support POE?

- Does the manufacturer still support it, and do they have firmware updates available?

I like Cisco catalyst switches, I replaced my Netgear GS110TP with a Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560-8PC. It is a top notch, full managed switch & yes pricey.

@whrzmud - To be fair, you are referring to Linksys-Cisco switches & not the Cisco catalyst switches

Can I ask someone to take a look at what I linked above and tell me if it will work for me?
Those shouldn't be used for cameras, they are designed for powering wireless gear (Ubiquiti, etc.) that uses a non-standard low voltage passive PoE injection design that is not compatible with standard 802.3af PoE equipment (almost everything else PoE powered uses the 802.3af standard)

It's also not a switch, just a device that adds the nonstandard power onto existing lines from a switch or other device.

For what it's worth, after some research I ended trying one of those PoE injectors and after a week of testing on some Dahua cameras it is still performing just fine. Unless I'm missing something those things are a great way to save some serious cash on a layer 2 PoE enabled switch especially if you are using more than 4 ports.

I don't get it. Don't you still need a switch? How does this save you money? What is the cost of a standard 8 port switch + 8 poe injector + power supply + 8 patch cables. I have two Trendnet 8 port (4 poe) switches at $50 each.

I work in IT and have a plethora of gigabit switches at my disposal, an oversight on my part. My apologies.

In the case you already have a switch it made sense for me.

What do you mean by "full power" PoE switches?