thanks for the replies guys. all the new avig h3 cams are 9 watts. so that tiny netgear is gonna be out for me. I was also looking at some interlogix 8 ports.

http://www.interlogix.com/resources/transmission/003-3300_ge_ds_82_60342.pdf

good deals on those lately, and the power is 180 watts..

anyone use them?

how do you like the cisco management software for the switches?

honestly i like the UTC (interlogix's owners) switch better for a couple of reasons (comparing apples to apples).

1. it's like 30% cheaper than the Cisco

2. ALL of their switches are Hardened, meaning i can stick it in the worst environment known to man and it will be fine (well within reason, not sure how well it would work in a volcano).

3. IMO the performance is faster on the UTC than it is on the Cisco (more cameras connected)

4. it's not a Cisco

This isn't quite right, not all of their switches are hardened. Just the 8pt and 7pt. But I couldn't agree more with the rest, the Layer2+ features have everything we need to support multicast across Vlans with out the overhead we don't need in switches designed for data.

-Chris

anyone who cares this one has been working great http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/smart-switches/smart-switches/FS726TP.aspx#one

not dead yet....2 months running..easy set up...for 12 power ports, i'm not sure there is a better deal out there for what it is.

hopefully switch's get explored more on this forum as it pertains to the cameras we use, since the market and needs seem dynamic.

I work in IT and have a plethora of gigabit switches at my disposal, an oversight on my part. My apologies.

In the case you already have a switch it made sense for me.

What do you mean by "full power" PoE switches?

Many POE switches don't have a POE power budget to support 15.4W on all ports at the same time, so you have to look at what the full set of cameras will draw. Also, many don't support POE on all ports.

For instance, the Netgear FS726TP mentioned above is 24 ports, 12 are POE, and it and has a 100W POE budget, so you can only average 8.3W per POE port. Individual ports will support the full 15.4W, but that reduces the total power budget for the rest of the ports.

I work in IT and have a plethora of gigabit switches at my disposal, an oversight on my part. My apologies.

In the case you already have a switch it made sense for me.

What do you mean by "full power" PoE switches?

Many POE switches don't have a POE power budget to support 15.4W on all ports at the same time, so you have to look at what the full set of cameras will draw. Also, many don't support POE on all ports.

For instance, the Netgear FS726TP mentioned above is 24 ports, 12 are POE, and it and has a 100W POE budget, so you can only average 8.3W per POE port. Individual ports will support the full 15.4W, but that reduces the total power budget for the rest of the ports.

Another example, the Trendnet TPE-S44, which is one of the cheaper switches with POE has 8 ports, 4 that are POE for a total budget of 30W or 7.5 per port if running all four. Individual ports are capable of 15.4, but at that draw only two ports at once.

A modest camera without IR illuminators may draw only a few watts so one could theoretically run four at a time on something like that Trendnet switch.

I have been using a Cisco SG-200-08P 8 port POE Gigabit switch and have been noticing some frame rate problems.

I have four cameras connected to it, 3 are powered over POE. I monitor the cameras with Blue Iris and have noticed it reporting the frame rates reducing on all the cameras at various times. Recently I replaced one of the cameras with a Dahua 2100 bullet. I have another one of these on another network segment and it has always been solid at 15fps. So when I noticed the lower fps, sometimes down to 3fps and clip recording with missing frames, I swapped the switch out with a Trendnet 44. (cheap $60 switch). Frame rates on all the cameras immediately came up to 15fps and remain there.

The little Cisco has a great deal of "manageability" and I won't pretend to understand it all. There may be some parameter that is the problem, but thought I would mention it here. Could be that low end Cisco model only. I have had pretty good luck with the Trendnets in the past, but I thought the Cisco would be an upgrade. Oh well.

Curious if anyone has thoughts on this?

Thanks

The cisco SG200 series is widely known to have "issues" and I would recommend anyone and everyone to stay clear from them.

Even though I have that opinion, I am surprised though that you are having issues with dropped frames. It is unlikely in my opinion that the switch does not have enough forwarding capacity, given that it is a gigabit switch.

Its rated forwarding capacity is 11.9 Gbps and its switching capacity is 13.6 Mpps (million packets per second). So technically its ASIC can't sustain all the ports going at the same time... but IP cameras are not gigabit devices...

I would say that there is either some sort of problem with your switch and you should RMA it (it has a lifetime warranty) or investigate whether you have misconfigured it (which is more likely).

As an addendum I personally recommend the SG300 or SG500X series switches if one is looking for a "cheap" cisco switch.

The SG300-10MP specifically is the "max power" version and can fully support 15.4W draw of POE devices simultaneously on 8 ports. Then you can use the 2 other gigabit ports as uplink/downlink to your server or to another switch for link aggregation.

If you have an application which calls for around 20 cameras then you are better off with the SG500X-24P.

With a budget of 375W you can power all 24 ports with 15.4W devices. These switches are stackable as well, if this interests you.

Both models support layer 3 static routing and the SG500X has RIPv2 dynamic routing. Configuration can be done using a very modern looking web GUI or for those IT geeks, "TextView" which is similar to iOS cli.

I personally use the SG300-10P (non-max power) model as I do not need all 8 ports for POE.

Thanks for the rma tip. I will look into that.

I have done a factory reset but still see the issue. So if it is a config problem, I can't find it.

Thanks again.