cino72

couple of questions

Im looking to put up some poe camera's and record all video to a pc. I have 1 axis and was wanting to purchase 2-3 more poe cameras but do not want to spend 600.00 on a camera. looking on web for info is ridiculous. when searching for cameras way to much bs to sort through. I found TRENDnet has what seem to be decent cameras I understand they will not be the quality of my axis but im looking for strictly home use and want to use poe to cover places I do not have power easily accessible.

can anyone comment on the trendnet cameras? and maybe some decent software to run on the windows based pc. if it matters i will be using a cisco switch to power the cameras.

Thanks

hum software choice is a bit overwhelming. I have the software that came with my axis but have no idea if it supports more brands since i have never installed it. The trendnet software doesn't look bad but same situation no idea what brand camera it supports. I have used VitaminD with my axis and I liked the software and it supports tons of different camera's but honestly i have not set my mind on any particular software.

I guess im starting at the wrong end since i was looking a for some cheaper poe cameras and was going to deal with the software side after i decided on some cameras.

I guess if you pin me down i would say either the software that comes with the camera or vitaminD. Ill start looking at software options but in the mean time whats the opinion on trendnet. On the trendnet website you can actually view the camera and the picture quality is by far not the worse that i have seen.

On a side note i looked at a samsung kit today 4 cameras and 8channel dvr ( samsung sde 4001 ) and i was not totally displeased with the specs or the price.

obviously the reason i am here is is that i know nothing about this stuff so just looking for some guidance.

more hardware searching has only led me to believe that 90% of the lower end cameras are all pretty much made in china by the same factories on the same street just a different color different shape with a different price. the ip camera market is really disappointing! it seems i could just toss them all up and which ever lands close is just as good of a choice as the next its a shame the market is so exploited

i already know i am not spending 600-800 on another axis and for my purpose i could use the cheapo for secondary viewing and the axis for my primary spot such is main entry ect. I would have to assume you could only choose a camera on the basis of firmware, cost, support and availability. SO anyone that has more knowledge than myself was forced to pick a cheap ip camera which would you choose?

Tia

hi. i would give both trendnet and the samsung you listed a miss.

Trendnet...... are just webcams

samsung ....... limited plug and play. (only samsung cameras)

with you already having axis and looking to back it up with cheaper cameras you are best looking at a hybrid. this gives you the option to run both IP and analog.

POE ........... i think you are looking at poe for ease of install analog can also be power video /audio over 1 cat5.

if you are on a budget ........ you dont need to install everything all at once. just buy your hybrid install your axis and then buy more ip or analog as you go along.

if you buy cheap you pay twice.

this hybrid will run either 8 analog cameras or 4 analog and 4 - 2mp cameras or channel 1 upto 5mp and the other 3 1.3

http://surveillance.aver.com/model/embedded-hybrid-DVR-EH1008H-4-Nano

analog cameras i would look at CNB range

for low cost IP mp cameras you can find these on the forum. but they also come as 1.3mp or 2mp (they will make trendnet look like toys.

194370_1.gif

HBZ2fnQpP-0

I had a couple of the trendnet IP cameras, they are worthless in the dark unless you go with the IR models, which are much more expensive. Check out Foscams, there is a pretty good following on them and some cool mods you can do like change lenses. Also the Panasonic "Pet Cam" is one heck of a great camera for the price. Its not POE but you can rig it to be.

There are very few CCTV equipments that aren't manufactured either in China or far East or that have no Chinese components in them. The trick is to know the brands and look at the spec.

more hardware searching has only led me to believe that 90% of the lower end cameras are all pretty much made in china by the same factories on the same street just a different color different shape with a different price. the ip camera market is really disappointing! it seems i could just toss them all up and which ever lands close is just as good of a choice as the next its a shame the market is so exploited

Doesn't that apply to pretty much every consumer product? Not fair to target the CCTV industry specifically. You get what you pay for (especially when it comes to technology) and what you get in the bottom 90% isn't much.

Colin B

Http://zeecure.com

this hybrid will run either 8 analog cameras or 4 analog and 4 - 2mp cameras or channel 1 upto 5mp and the other 3 1.3

analog cameras i would look at CNB range

for low cost IP mp cameras you can find these on the forum. but they also come as 1.3mp or 2mp (they will make trendnet look like toys.

The hybrid stuff looks interesting

I had a couple of the trendnet IP cameras, they are worthless in the dark unless you go with the IR models, which are much more expensive. Check out Foscams, there is a pretty good following on them and some cool mods you can do like change lenses. Also the Panasonic "Pet Cam" is one heck of a great camera for the price. Its not POE but you can rig it to be.

what model is the pet camera? i noticed a few post and it looks like a diamond in the rough if used in the certain situation.

There are very few CCTV equipments that aren't manufactured either in China or far East or that have no Chinese components in them. The trick is to know the brands and look at the spec.

There is no question about that. i found 5 brands that were all just rebranded and that was only looking on the web for 2 min

Doesn't that apply to pretty much every consumer product? Not fair to target the CCTV industry specifically. You get what you pay for (especially when it comes to technology) and what you get in the bottom 90% isn't much.

Colin B

Not targeting the cctv market but it seems to be much more of an exploited market than most consumer electronics. sure Panasonic plasma panels are used in a ton of other brands but at least the other brands don't just peel the Panasonic label off.

Most cameras are are worthless in the dark.

I found that not to always be the case. my axis is ok in low light and great with ir flood. I have no experience with this type stuff so most of what i say is just jibber jabber

Most hybrid software use ONVIF or RTSP. During tests I noticed inconsistent video transmission which was really disappointing.

Just received a test hybrid NVR, It was good the first day but by day 3, the screen was freezing up from time to time.

My recommendations. Stick with axis and pay the money if you don't want complications.