DVRstunted

External Storage options for Speco DVR-16tn?

I'm looking to install a 16 Camera System at my business, and I need some help figuring out which way to go. I currently have a Speco DVR-16TN that I was going to use as the basis for my system, but It wont have the storage capabilities (on board) that I will need. (I will need to hold all Recorded Data for 6-8 months).

Are there any external storage options for standalone DVR's like this one (Aside from burning everything to DVD/CD?) Or should I consider going with a PC Based System instead?

Wow, 6-8 months is a long time. However, this is not outside the realm of possibility. Typically, these type of DVRs have only a 1TB or 2TB hard drive.

It's always possible that you could open it up replace the drive with something larger. And I think that those older Speco models have enough room to add a drive.

How much data retention can you get out of it now? Is it still in warranty (if so you might want to avoid opening so that you don't void the warranty)?

The manual states that the 16TN has a couple of firewire ports, but I don't see where it states the maximum external storage the device will recognize. Specs state that 4 internal hard drives can be connected for a max of 3TB, but also states the drives are IDE. 750GB IDE hard drives cost a small fortune today.

In any case, I doubt the unit will have enough storage of 16 channels for 6-8 months. Calculating how much storage you'll need is not an exact science as there are too many variables affecting file sizes, but I'm thinking you'll need approx. 1TB per channel if recording 24/7 @ D1/7FPS. Storage capacity per channel will be more or less depending on frame rate, quality settings, motion detection, etc.

Edited by Guest

Wooo!:oops: I did not even realize that DVR was that old! Dang!

That DVR will need at least a couple of TB, and IDE won't cut it. Never-mind what I said, it might be time to get something newer.

At VGA and 12fps (with 50% activity level) you would need roughly 4.2 TB per month, so for 6 months of basic storage you would need 25.2TB of storage.... let's just call it 26 for easy numbers.

There is no way on earth I would store that much data without some form of RAID, and I am a little leary of the 3TB drives on the market right now so let's work this out with 2TB drives. I will give you surveillance grade drives for this example, but the drive quality you choose is up to you. In simple numbers, that is somewhere between $175 and $250 per drive and you are looking at needing at least 14 drives (depending on what RAID level you choose). That does not even include a chassis to house and run all of those drives.

A QNAP TS-1679 sixteen bay chassis can be had for somewhere between $4500 and $5300. With the drives added to that, you are looking at between $6950 and $8800 to accomplish your goal, and that still does not include the DVR upgrade itself!