rory

Anyone used this DVR yet??

I saw it on that web site last year sometime, i think the pricing was arounf $699! Its in your area AV, any chance of getting a hardware demo from them so you could let us know how it is?

Rory

I'll see if I can go around and see them after I get back from the ISC show.

Next couple of weeks is pretty busy with preparation for the show and the show itself. The product intrigues me and I'd like to see what it can do.

Why don't you email them for some pricing in the meantime.

ok, ill email them.

Its linux so at the least it should be an embedded os.

They are in Compton, isnt that a really bad area??

Rory

Did anyone test it out yet?

No, they cant provide us with any more info, but someone on here got pricing from them and its more than the Kalatel unit.

Ive leaned towards the Provideo DVR-16/IP embedded linux DVR, cheaper, and better brand support in Amittyville NY. Price is good also. Great for lower budgets. Awaiting one still as they dont stock them at my distributors, should have been here by now.

UH, I'm going down that area tomorrow, maybe I'll drop by provideo to see what they got. I'll keep you guys posted

Not sure, but could someone tell me if the system at the bottom of Rory's link is the same as in this link... http://www.pluscctv.com/digital_video.htm

The only visual difference I see is the far right control. Are these DigiTek's?

If so, this place is selling them for $700 (4CH), 1,100 (8CH), and $1,300 (16CH).

This place is about 1 1/2 hr. from my house. If they are total trash, I won't look into them. But a couple people wanting estimates was wanting 4ch dvr with day/night camera's, and this is the only thing in their budget. $1,129.00 for the dvr, cameras, cable, power, tv w/vcr, and everything else needed for a full install. I realize the camera's are cheaper, but if this is all they can afford, I might have to go with it if it means getting or not getting the job.

Thanks,

Brad

no. thoes are not Provideo, those are even cheaper, I wouldnt touch them myself, but its up to you. Never heard of them, but their products are probably just generic no name products, that are normally as good as their price is. Beware the cheap IR bullet cameras, best to get them without IR as the IR on those are 99% of the time useless anyway, unless it is indoors in a small room.

Outside of the shape of the buttons on the RH side I'd say it is a DigiTek, although that doesn't mean it is a great DVR. It looks like a decent unit from the specs. I'd suggest you go over to the place and check it out for yourself to make sure it works ok and the place looks reliable.

It's the same dvr as Intellicams. (cctvdealers.com) They sell it for $425 without HD. I have put in a few of them and they work.

Here is another possibility

Has any one tried the Everfocus DVRs. They have built in flash card reader, IP, audio in, duplex capibility and swappable drives. Comes in 4, 9, and 16 channels. Looks alot better then the intellicams DVRs.

http://cctvproducts.com/edsr400.html ($700)

http://cctvproducts.com/edsr900.html ($1000)

http://cctvproducts.com/edsr1600.html ($1200)

Coupe of Questions:

What do you guys use as an IR extender to be able to lock up the DVR and have the monitor somewhere else. The Xantech stuff or... (xantech.com)

Fredrik

www.digitronic.us

Yes. they work but they are basically crap, like the everfocus is also; you get what you pay for. Support is terrible on these also.

IR Remotes only come with the cheap DVRs, generally. The more expensive ones, you can lock it up, and use a keypad to control it remotely over cat5.

Just wondering.

What exactly make them so "crappy"? I'm curious since some some guys here feel very strongly about the cheap DVR's but are not specifing why.

1. Do they burn hard drives because of ****ty power supplies?

2. Lousy viewing play back quality because of to much/ wrong compression?

3. Not enoght features?

Since they all run some form of Linux, thay can't be terrible unstable, play back quality is mostly dependent on what type of compession that is used.

We all know that Mpeg-2 has the highest quality but it doesn't stream well because of file size. H.263 and Mpeg-4 streams the best, but look like crap when you blow them up full frame.

I can see the power supply/ hard drive argument. Who wants to replace hard drives all the time.

Cheers,

Fredrik

Crappy Remote Software

Looks cheap

Support is bad

Warranty is limited

Limited Features/Local Programming

and im sure there is more, you get what you pay for.

I have a demo on our website using a VPON DVR. The all use H.263 compression. Here is the IP:

http://209.198.28.250/startp.htm?scrw=1280

The compression is very good which makes them perfect for pre schools, where parents need access with different types of connections. You get 2-3 frames per second on dial-up looking at 1 camera. Much thanks to a very streamlined interface with no fancy PTZ buttons etc. I have been using them as a web server for the pre schools together with a DVR using MPEG-2. Works great. The trick to the VPON is buying the VPON-100, get the motherboard and processor they recomend and put it together your self. Will save you a bunch of money plus it's very simple. The OS is on their plug in card so it's a 30 min thing to put it together and get it up and running.

As far as cheap DVR goes, I still would like a better reason why I would spend 5 times as much getting a GE or a Panasonic DVR. Is not much in these DVR's that can break other then the HD regardless which one you get.

I am more interested in that the system works than how the unit looks like.

The Intellicam support has been great, and the warranty is the same as anywhere else. 2 years on unit, less on the drive. It seems like most DVR's these days have enough features for 99% of the customers out there.

I would be interested to hear if someone has any direct experience with the Everfocus DVR's. They have some nice features so...

Cheers,

Fredrik

yes, direct experience yesterday with an everfocus DVR, and it does not in anyway compete with a GE DVR, or similar, or even Provideo. If you buy a more expensive DVR, or get a Demo, and test it, you will notice the difference. If the everfocus is for home use, or yourself, go ahead, I am talking about selling a good product to your client, and the cheap ones just arent worth it.

I am constently switching businesses over that are using cheap DVRs for something that works, much better.

Edited by Guest

if you want to go cheaper, look at the Provideo DVR-16/IP, costs $1500 wholesale, 16 channel embbedded Linux, full featured. Provideo tech support, product, and warranty is great, 100% better product than the ones you are talking about.

If you really want to be cheap, buy a quad for $50 and a single channel DVR for $400, just as good as the DVRs you are talking about! :-0

But if you are selling Vpon units, then you are use to cheap low quality products already, so Everfocus should be fine.

VPON's aren't low quality. The dealers who have been using them in my territory are very complimentary about them. I wish they were cheap since they compete with my DVR line. Unfortunately they work and are low cost so the only saving grace is that they aren't well known since they have no local sales reps and their marketing is pretty spotty. The company is just a few miles away from me, so being local doesn't help either.

looks cheesy to me, just finished watching that demo link above also, and the product itself looks cheap on the Vpon web page.

What do they cost?? Looks useful for home users though, if it is cheap enough.

then again, all I can rate it on right now is the picture of the device, and the browser software which looks shabby. Video looks clear though.

Rory,

Would be interesting to hear some real reasons why you like putting in $3000 4-channel DVR's other than "cheap stuff are crap and you are all idiots who put them in" After reading your posts, I get the feeling that you are more interested in how the units look on the outside and how the remote software look, then how they perform in a real world situation. Most of my customers want a good streaming experiance, and they could care less about a fancy interface that just take extra time to download.

As far as the VPON dvr's go, both Westec Interactive and NACC's video monitoring department love them, primarely for their superior streaming capibility and for the simple interface they use.

You can however redesign the interface, and upload it via FTP but I take you diden't know that since you, I take, never tried one even if you seem to have such strong opinion about them.

I have yet to find a better live demo on the net then the one I have on our website.

Rory,

Would be interesting to hear some real reasons why you like putting in $3000 4-channel DVR's other than "cheap stuff are crap and you are all idiots who put them in" After reading your posts, I get the feeling that you are more interested in how the units look on the outside and how the remote software look, then how they perform in a real world situation. Most of my customers want a good streaming experiance, and they could care less about a fancy interface that just take extra time to download.

quote]

Yes, the $3000 DVRs as you would call them, (4 channel DVRs are 1/2 that price by the way) work much better than the cheaper ones, regardless of how they look or their remote software. There simply is no comparison. You have to try them both to know the difference. Sure, they all will work. Im not trying to sell anything, you asked a question. Now if you want to sell the cheap ones go ahead.

Personal experience, I let the shopping mall and electronic stores here sell the cheap products, and they make no money, I am selling high end to high end clients, and making big money.

There is no maintenance involved, no going back, simple to use, full featured, great support if required, and they last years. And I also have a product from a manufacturer that is one of only a few that have been in the DVR business for years, and have unlimited upgrade options for years of storage and/or additional features/add ons. And also, I can write my own custom software for them.

The ones i sell are currently used at nightclubs, banks, 10mill$ homes, alarm monitoring companies, service stations, jewellery stores, and then some. Agreed, im not targeting the preschools as they cant afford me! )

As for live demos, most security applications require them to be secure, so they will not allow just anyone to view them online, especially in a web browser interface. But if you really wanted it, you could. I wrote a browser based app myself for remote video. I could pm you a link if you are interested.

My best friend by the way is set on selling the cheaper ones also, so its all good, just each has their own preference. Also, like I said too, im selling a 16 channel 120Gb Dvr from Provideo, ver low cost, remote software is not great, but for a home or myself, its fine. Alot better than Everfocus though.