ab2reza1360

Why Ip camera is better than analog?

I have a main question:

based on my knowledge: For a home or a market we can secure all around this with some analog cameras and a professional DVR,all prices with wiring will be much lower than an IP camera system.for an IP system I have to buy expensive IP cameras(much higher price than analog camera),POE switch,Ethernet Switch and NVR!

according to this why some experts installed IP camera in home and places like this?and why IP is better?

Hi. at the end of the day its technology that changes it was not all that long ago we all had one of these.

195749_1.jpg

did its job and would still do its job if you had one today but very limited in quality.

195749_2.jpg

now we can all record just like the big movie makers. record what you actually see with your eyes.

195749_3.jpg

Analog. is limited to Pal or NTSC in size take PAL max 576 lines ..... this is why you will see a lot of forum post saying dont go over the top on specs with 600-700 tvl most of the time its just sales.

nothing wrong with analog if a full D1 DVR ...... some state D1 as just live viewing but only record in CIF

as you can see from image above CIF has a max of 288 lines which is screen size in the PAL or NTSC world

but when it comes to looking at cameras you will find analog listed as NTSC 352 × 240 and PAL 352 × 288 which is the actual picture size. try and fill screens of today means you stretch the image which leaves you nothing if you want to zoom or edit to get a better image.

D1 NTSC 720 × 480 or PAL 720 × 576 is the standard screen size max for analog and this is the least you want to look for in a analog system.

going MP megapixel give a much more better quality image analog being 576 (pal) max were as MP (3mp) gives 1536 lines. or higher now with 5mp ........ this gives a a high res crisp and clear image and for the first time allows you to zoom in to footage before it becomes destorted

195749_4.jpg

There's not a huge difference between the two subway robberies except the first one has

the worst camera angle where you can't even see on the other side of the counter where

the robber is standing and the IP camera has the correct angle where you can see better.

But IMO, if the lower resolution camera was positioned better, you would have no problem

at all identifying the criminal.

What's wrong with the first Subway video? I think the guy can be identified very clearly. And it's just one camera angle showing the customer side of the counter. I'll bet there's another camera on the employee side.

I agree. All subway restaurants I have ever seen have multiple cameras. The space is usually small (usually less then 1500sqf) and analog might just fit their needs and budget. That camera was probably put too see the counter area from the customer side. It captured the face well enough in my opinion.

I have seen worse quality and fov.

What's wrong with the first Subway video? I think the guy can be identified very clearly. And it's just one camera angle showing the customer side of the counter. I'll bet there's another camera on the employee side.

What resolution are you comparing cameras at? You can get HD resolution from analog cameras and you can get D1/VGA resolution from IP cameras. For example, you can create a system using $50 IP cameras, free software, small PC as an NVR and have a much more cost effective solution than an inexpensive analog system and probably get comparable quality. You can also get an HD analog system that will probably have comparable costs to a similar resolution IP solution. There are $600 analog cameras, there are $600 IP cameras as much as there are $50 analog cameras and $50 IP cameras.

It's tough when you walk into Costco and walk out with an 8 camera analog system, DVR and all for $499 and think you got a deal. Probably the same sense of accomplishment someone gets when they go on eBay and find 8 IP cameras for $300, each with pan/tilt capabilities, each with IR illuminators built in and run free NVR software on a re-purposed old computer and laugh at the Costco deal for being so expensive.

What resolution are you comparing cameras at? You can get HD resolution from analog cameras and you can get D1/VGA resolution from IP cameras. For example, you can create a system using $50 IP cameras, free software, small PC as an NVR and have a much more cost effective solution than an inexpensive analog system and probably get comparable quality. You can also get an HD analog system that will probably have comparable costs to a similar resolution IP solution. There are $600 analog cameras, there are $600 IP cameras as much as there are $50 analog cameras and $50 IP cameras.

OK please post some examples of a HD Analog System.

Just looking at the number of pixels it seems the first one might even have more pixels/ft, where the person is. In the first one though, they are lucky he was not wearing a hat...

Regardless of what is superior, I think it comes down to the specific application. In Tom's example of cameras getting better, true enough. But at what point does the average homeowner need to have cameras for cctv that are as good as the digital cameras they take holiday shots with? I believe even with quality MP cameras there can still be a point of diminished returns for many residential situations. If you want to compare how lovely snow covered tress look, or how wonderfully crisp the cars look in the driveway with MP cameras, fair enough- they'll smoke analog cameras all day long until the sun sets. And there's nothing wrong with getting the best gear available if that's what you want, or more so what you need. If you need to capture plates of moving cars, or large crowds in expansive areas, or large parking lots, I'd consider MP cameras for sure. Being able to drill into those kinds of shots and still have clarity for ID is key. But in residential where you're covering doors, windows, and driveways, it may not be necessary to have MP cameras. I mostly see poor lighting, poor positioning, poor camera choices, and poor focal distance for the field of view when I see shots of peoples setup in residential. It's not easy for the DIY'r to understand all the considerations when putting cameras up outside, having never done it before. But if you get it right on all counts, analog can still provide the ID shot needed. Analog or MP, it's still frustrating to know that all it takes is a hoody, sunglasses, or a mask to get the crime done without positive ID. It's like they don't even care if they're on camera. So whether or not you need analog or MP to capture that, tough call. It's according to budget and application I think. Well installed, either one can be useful, imo. Not well installed, either one can fail to produce an ID shot. The sad fact is, even well installed, BOTH won't do much for ID'ing even a borderline intelligent crook.

What a wonderful thing a forum can be.

It allows each of us to voice our opinions.

shockwave199 thank you for putting this into words. Each case requires a new perspective and solution. If someones budget only allows for a analog solution isn't it wonderful that they still have a choice to buy and use it. Isn't it wonderful that you still have a choice what solution to choose for you. Your needs at home for monitoring 1-2 cars can be different to the needs of a supermarket needing to monitor 200 cars.

Regardless of what is superior, I think it comes down to the specific application. In Tom's example of cameras getting better, true enough. But at what point does the average homeowner need to have cameras for cctv that are as good as the digital cameras they take holiday shots with? I believe even with quality MP cameras there can still be a point of diminished returns for many residential situations. If you want to compare how lovely snow covered tress look, or how wonderfully crisp the cars look in the driveway with MP cameras, fair enough- they'll smoke analog cameras all day long until the sun sets. And there's nothing wrong with getting the best gear available if that's what you want, or more so what you need. If you need to capture plates of moving cars, or large crowds in expansive areas, or large parking lots, I'd consider MP cameras for sure. Being able to drill into those kinds of shots and still have clarity for ID is key. But in residential where you're covering doors, windows, and driveways, it may not be necessary to have MP cameras. I mostly see poor lighting, poor positioning, poor camera choices, and poor focal distance for the field of view when I see shots of peoples setup in residential. It's not easy for the DIY'r to understand all the considerations when putting cameras up outside, having never done it before. But if you get it right on all counts, analog can still provide the ID shot needed. Analog or MP, it's still frustrating to know that all it takes is a hoody, sunglasses, or a mask to get the crime done without positive ID. It's like they don't even care if they're on camera. So whether or not you need analog or MP to capture that, tough call. It's according to budget and application I think. Well installed, either one can be useful, imo. Not well installed, either one can fail to produce an ID shot. The sad fact is, even well installed, BOTH won't do much for ID'ing even a borderline intelligent crook.

What a wonderful thing a forum can be.

It allows each of us to voice our opinions.

Regardless of what is superior, I think it comes down to the specific application. In Tom's example of cameras getting better,

sorry i thought the thread was WHY not cost or application.

Post subject: Why Ip camera is better than analog?

sorry i thought the thread was WHY not cost or application.

Post subject: Why Ip camera is better than analog?

Right. And the answer is, it isn't always.

You can get HD resolution from analog cameras...

195777_1.jpg

Owl boy, when I was at ISC back in March I believe, there were a few companies offering 1080P analog cameras and DVRs using coax (not IP cameras) which amazes me as I didn't think Coax was suitabe for HD and you would use something digital like HDMI, DVI or even component video cables. Here's one company that makes an HD DVR and HD 1080P analog cameras. I guess the appeal is that you can use existing coax cabling.

http://www.123securityproducts.com/downloads/dl/file/id/4104/everfocus_hd_spec_sheet.pdf

Owl boy, when I was at ISC back in March I believe, there were a few companies offering 1080P analog cameras and DVRs using coax (not IP cameras) which amazes me as I didn't think Coax was suitabe for HD and you would use something digital like HDMI, DVI or even component video cables. Here's one company that makes an HD DVR and HD 1080P analog cameras. I guess the appeal is that you can use existing coax cable

just for your info for future reference

You are talking about HD-SDI

lots of company makes this product

I am playing with 4 Ch DVR as we speak

actually not too bad

may switch some " tight" customer to this product

so far I can see I will offer 4 CH only

much less tech support

true plug and play

That's HDcctv, which is based on HD-SDI (Serial Digital Interface), a broadcast digital standard. It *IS NOT* analog. The cameras *ARE NOT* compatible with analog DVRs, and the HDcctv DVRs *ARE NOT* compatible with analog cameras (unless you get a hybrid DVR). In fact, the only place that brochure even mentions analog is in the specs for their hybrid units; nowhere do they claim they're doing HD with analog.

In theory, yes, HDcctv can use existing coax. In reality... it has to be high quality, undamaged cable for it to work at all, and it's more reliable with RG6 than with RG59, whereas most existing analog systems use RG59.

Any picture quality sample?

Owl boy, when I was at ISC back in March I believe, there were a few companies offering 1080P analog cameras and DVRs using coax (not IP cameras) which amazes me as I didn't think Coax was suitabe for HD and you would use something digital like HDMI, DVI or even component video cables. Here's one company that makes an HD DVR and HD 1080P analog cameras. I guess the appeal is that you can use existing coax cable

actually not too bad

much less tech support

true plug and play

Thanks all.

YOu are great.

I think most of you agree with my opinion,based on my needs,choose Ip or analog camera.

For a home that I wanna just secure doors and windows I can but just some fixed dome analog with a Dvr.

But for a market,vast parking,seaport and....right with you,I will pay much higher and buy IP camera:)

actually not too bad

much less tech support

true plug and play

How do you like them? I still cant get too excited about it until the price gets below IP. Seems like you can make a 4 channel IP system for cheaper than you can a 4 channel SDI system, even using Avigilon software. I do like the plug and play concept though that you are talking about for customers who are not real tech friendly. I do see the prices dropping every month though. If it continues to drop, I think it may have a go in the market. But then again, IP systems are dropping too.

How do you like them? I still cant get too excited about it until the price gets below IP. Seems like you can make a 4 channel IP system for cheaper than you can a 4 channel SDI system, even using Avigilon software. I do like the plug and play concept though that you are talking about for customers who are not real tech friendly. I do see the prices dropping every month though. If it continues to drop, I think it may have a go in the market. But then again, IP systems are dropping too.

I like it big time

for 4 ch and probably 8 ch

will start to offer only HD-SDI for "tight" customer base

otherwise Avigilon

Sean kinda like you

sell to DYI with or with out help as they wish

Edited by Guest

That's HDcctv, which is based on HD-SDI (Serial Digital Interface), a broadcast digital standard. It *IS NOT* analog. The cameras *ARE NOT* compatible with analog DVRs, and the HDcctv DVRs *ARE NOT* compatible with analog cameras (unless you get a hybrid DVR). In fact, the only place that brochure even mentions analog is in the specs for their hybrid units; nowhere do they claim they're doing HD with analog.

Matt forget HDcctv and Todd

lots factories making HD-SDI

and also get sample and try it

that what i have done so far

I like it big time

for 4 ch and probably 8 ch

will start to offer only HD-SDI for "tight" customer base

otherwise Avigilon

Sean kinda like you

sell to DYI with or with out help as they wish

Good to know. I will keep an eye on the market for these and the prices. I always liked the idea, I was just never sure if it was going to catch on. Judging by ISC west though, it seems every company had an SDI line.