voip-ninja

Can I ceiling mount a P3344-VE?

The documentation is not clear on this point, I was looking for info before I order one. It would be mounted to siding under a roof eave on the corner of my garage.

I've got a P3346 that I mounted under the soffit above the garage doors. Got some 1/4" vinyl board cut a hole replaced the mesh material with that.

I've got a P3346 that I mounted under the soffit above the garage doors. Got some 1/4" vinyl board cut a hole replaced the mesh material with that.

Thanks. You weren't able to simply screw the camera base into the ceiling/soffit?

I guess that my source of confusion is that in the installation manual I didn't see instructions for mounting on a ceiling, only wall mounting.

I'm nervous now about assuming things will work, as I've been burned a couple of times.

The V is in a metal enclosure, the non-V has no back if I remember. I think it has holes but can't remember. I took mine out of the enclosure, had no problem adjusting the position to a good spot. In other words I have it horizontal like you would. There is a limit - i.e. you can't set the lens exactly horizontal, only to within maybe 15 deg but that would be a different application than you are talking about.

If you're buying new I'd look at the new series with better low light. Unless you really think you need the vandal enclosure and you can get a good deal. You will need a fair amount of light to get them at 1-30sec, I use two CFL's.

Two CNB WCM-20VF have the same horizontal resolution and MUCH better low light. Seriously you can run them in color at 1-60 sec and have a good pic with that much light. Something to consider.

I like the extra resolution of the 3MP and having only one camera on the front of the house.

Thanks for the tip. However my NAS does not support that manufacturer and I would prefer a dome to a bullet camera if possible.

If I get the 3344 I was planning on using an external IR illuminator with it, which I would also power from PoE.

FYI, with the Axis you do not even need a NAS to do the recording. Add a SD and use their free camera companion software. Or you can have the camera record to the NAS directly.

FYI, with the Axis you do not even need a NAS to do the recording. Add a SD and use their free camera companion software. Or you can have the camera record to the NAS directly.

That's true. I do like Synology's front end though and iOS app.

It is disappointing to hear that you aren't too impressed with the PQ of the 83xx Axis, I was under the impression it had very high quality imaging.

During the day the picture quality (PQ) is amazing, and they do a great job of exposure/shutter speed. You would need a lot of analog cameras to get the same resolution/coverage.

The only issue I would have is night time sensitivity, which is a problem with a LOT of the MP cameras not just Axis. If you can add enough light it is not an issue. It all depends on what you are trying to do with what amount of money. Have not tried their new series with better low light.

Some of the MP+ sensors even with exview have worse low light than the the Axis P3344...

Thanks Mike.

Right before pulling the trigger I saw info on the new Axis P33 series cameras coming out next month that will have integrated IR, and they will also have the newer more sensitive sensors and lightfinder tech.

So I'm going to wait and see how the review from BuellWinkle looks on those and even though they are quite a bit pricier than what I can get a P3344-VE for it might be the ticket at least for the locations I have that need high quality night time coverage.

A word of caution on the new p series low-light capabilities. I have a p3367-VE that uses the new low light sensor (though I don't think it's the Light Grabber technology), and from my experience with Axis, it has a pretty bad flaw with vertical lines showing up in the image during night mode. See my post here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30322

Other than that, the camera is amazing in low light, especially considering it's a 3MP sensor. I'm eager to try out one of the new models with built in IR, and perhaps at a lower MP, the vertical lines won't be an issue.

Anyone know when Axis will actually release the new models?

Hello All,

The P33xx-VE will mount to ceiling or wall. With the -VE version, a metal back plate is included which will be the first piece you mount. The rest of the cam attaches to this back plate. One HUGE installation tip with the P33 cams is that the camera unit it self rotates clockwise, and counter clockwise to maintain a proper Horizontal Field of View. It doesn't move very easily, but it does adjust. Not sure why Axis doesn't document this. This might be the issue you're running into Mike_va.

http://www.axis.com/files/manuals/ig_P334X-VE_P3367-VE_43215_en_1106.pdf

The new LightFinder technology is found in the new 1mp P3364-VE. Although the P3367-VE utilizes the latest ARTPEC-4 chip, it is not marketed as having the LightFinder technology. Having superior Low Light performance in 5mp cam would be amazing but still unrealistic. The new P3364-V/VE's are in stock and shipping today. The coolest feature with the new P3364's beside the LightFinder is the fact that the 6mm version offers a 105° Horizontal Field of View. I should have my demo coming shortly.

Mark

Axis Certified Professional

Thanks for the information Mark. I take it that the new 720P P33 series cameras with integrated IR won't be out for a while? That looks like it could be just the thing I need, assuming Axis does a good job with the IR. I understand that the IR will be variable angle and intensity which should make it pretty impressive if they do it right.

You weren't able to simply screw the camera base into the ceiling/soffit?

I guess that my source of confusion is that in the installation manual I didn't see instructions for mounting on a ceiling, only wall mounting.

I'm nervous now about assuming things will work, as I've been burned a couple of times.

It will mount to a ceiling just fine. I had mine mounted to the underside of a wooden beam for a while with absolutely no problems.

We've mounted P3344-V's directly to the ceiling out of the box, and we've mounted P3344-VE's to the ceiling with a pendant mount adapter if you want to bring it down from the ceiling a little bit.

Thanks for the information Mark. I take it that the new 720P P33 series cameras with integrated IR won't be out for a while? That looks like it could be just the thing I need, assuming Axis does a good job with the IR. I understand that the IR will be variable angle and intensity which should make it pretty impressive if they do it right.

Yeah, I'm also eagerly awaiting the new models with built in IR lamps. Any word on availability?

Yeah, I'm also eagerly awaiting the new models with built in IR lamps. Any word on availability?

Mark sent me a PM that they don't have actual part numbers for them yet, so it will be a while, perhaps this fall.

I'm willing to wait, they look like very interesting cameras.

Thanks for the info on the availability.

That's too bad. I have a project where I could use two of these in the next month to 6 weeks.