badgcoupe

Anyone have experience with Onix cameras?

Hi all,

Same old story here, residential customer trying to save a few bucks doing the install myself trying to figure out WTF is up with this industry. Through my many calls I have stumbled across a company named "Onix." Specs all look good, prices look even better but I can't seem to find anything about them online.

Anyone have any opinions on this brand? I was pretty set on an ACTi TCM-1231 but then this company as well as a handful of other suggestions have come up from local companies.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Same old story here, residential customer trying to save a few bucks doing the install myself trying to figure out WTF is up with this industry. Through my many calls I have stumbled across a company named "Onix." Specs all look good, prices look even better but I can't seem to find anything about them online.

Anyone have any opinions on this brand? I was pretty set on an ACTi TCM-1231 but then this company as well as a handful of other suggestions have come up from local companies.

Thanks!

Onix used to OEM to several second tier companies like Vitek in California and Royal Systems (a distributor, really). I know at one point that Onix OEM'ed for a major corporation. If my memory serves me correct, that was Honeywell.

Out of all the camera manufacturers in Korea, I would rate this company 6 out of 10. This is because of many mechanical design flaws that they were plagued with between 2005 and 2007. I am sure that OEMing to Honeywell improved their overall quality, and I have not seen any of their cameras after the whole DNR fiasco. In other words, my assertion of their quality and performance is based on the older original Sony SuperHAD based cameras ranging from 420TVL to 550TVL. However, they were honest about their mistakes and they really went the extra mile to rectify the problem.

Now that the majority of Korean camera manufacturers design and manufacture according to the DSP manufacturer's reference design, there aren't that much that can go wrong in terms of the actual camera performance. I would ensure that the housing that Onix employs is of good quality and then you shouldn't have any problems.

Make sure you get a written 3 year warranty. Korean laws make it difficult for the exporters to provide more than 2 years, but I'm sure they will oblige.

Good luck with your install.

Hello

I own Palm Beach Surveillance here on Florida's East Coast... I only use Onix cameras and systems- keeping all of my installed systems congruent... Here in South Florida our climate demands high quality components... Their outdoor rated cameras have routinely lasted more than 5 years for me... I recently replaced an 8 year old system that was still functioning with their new HD-SDI 2.2 megapixel over RG59... I continue to be impressed with their quality and pricing...

Doug Prince

www.pbsurveillance.com

Why does Florida climate's affect your camera decisions? Are they gator proof, shark proof? After seeing Sharknado I can understand these concerns.

Since you don't understand:

1. 27" of rain this last month...

2. daily Lightning strikes and power surges...

3. Coastal regions here tend have extreme corrosive properties...

4. Operating temperatures exceeding 120degrees near asphalt, CBS walls and on rooftops...

do I need to continue?

Wow, you get 27" of rain in one month? We get that total in 3 years, but I may be exaggerating, maybe closer to 4 years. This year I think we hit 5" for the entire year. We once had lighting, but I was wrong, it was just a kid with a flash camera

So with salt corrosion and harsh climate, is it better to get cameras made out of plastic vs. aluminum. For example, we use mostly Mobotix and their cameras are all plastic so you think it's cheap, but probably a more resilient material than what most camera companies make using aluminum. Certainly less of a lightning attraction. I sold an Axis camera I did a review on, a pricey $4,000 one, got a direct hit by lightning. Axis actually replaced it under warranty, was very impressed.