gazz

Spider spray

my camera's are mostly in my aviary, a couple of them about a foot above and to the side of nest sites,

and i've found out that spiders are attracted to the infra red led's on the camera's big time.

bit of a pain as they keep weaving webs over the lens, as well as triggering the motion detect recording, but worse the spiders are annoying the birds, crawling over them all night long,

the birds cant see in the dark, otherwise the spiders would be eaten pretty quick, instead i see the birds woken up shaking to get the irritating spiders off them every so often.

i know the simple answer is to turn those cameras off at night, but i've got a nest of chicks right now i would have lost, after something spooked the parents at 3am, and i spotted they'd deserted the nest and saw the chicks breathing slowing down as it got too cold.... fetched it and the eggs in and warmed them up, pu them back the next day and the parents are looking after them fine now.

i see people mentioning using a spider spray on their cameras, but has anyone any ideas if they are safe to use near birds?

any particular spray recomended?

my camera's are mostly in my aviary, a couple of them about a foot above and to the side of nest sites,

and i've found out that spiders are attracted to the infra red led's on the camera's big time.

bit of a pain as they keep weaving webs over the lens, as well as triggering the motion detect recording, but worse the spiders are annoying the birds, crawling over them all night long,

the birds cant see in the dark, otherwise the spiders would be eaten pretty quick, instead i see the birds woken up shaking to get the irritating spiders off them every so often.

i know the simple answer is to turn those cameras off at night, but i've got a nest of chicks right now i would have lost, after something spooked the parents at 3am, and i spotted they'd deserted the nest and saw the chicks breathing slowing down as it got too cold.... fetched it and the eggs in and warmed them up, pu them back the next day and the parents are looking after them fine now.

i see people mentioning using a spider spray on their cameras, but has anyone any ideas if they are safe to use near birds?

any particular spray recomended?

I don't know how effective the spray will be and how long it lasts. However, Clinton imports anti-spider cameras that can be quite effective.

http://www.clintonelectronics.com/store/product.php?productid=154&cat=63&page=1

Good luck.

It's a matter of reapplying every so often, and after rain. Some locations are a battle. I've noticed something though, albeit not a proven fact. If you clear away the webs every day, spiders can learn the spot sucks to invest time in. I kid you not. Left alone, they keep going. But start a regimen of cleaning every early evening, and it's more likely it'll stay clear- or clearer than it was having done nothing. They absolutely learn where the bugs are and setup webs there. And they seem to learn where it's not worth it too. Spiders have brains??? Maybe so! Try it, and the spray. I got mine from home depot. It works, but you have to reapply.

I am using old fashion moth balls from a Amish/Menonite store and they work for a couple weeks but keep getting smaller and less effective. I used old medicine bottles with some holes drilled in for air, just used a wood screw to hold the lid to the ceiling and screw the bottle on the lid. On one camera I just used some netting material from a laundry bag and tied it around the camera. When I first put the moth balls out you can smell the the moth balls from several feet away, but as they get smaller in size so does the odor.

The insecticide in moth balls may not be safe for the birds or other small animals, I even read snakes will avoid them. Also , if anyone tries Old Fashion Moth balls be sure to keep the open box in a safe place, the odor will creep out all around the house and may make someone sick.

Walgreens has them: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/enoz-old-fashioned-moth-balls-pest-control/ID=prod14915-product

yup, disabling the IR on the nest cams is best.... problem is i need to go in and pop the sun shade off, then unscrew the front and hope i can reach the plug, if not unscrew 2 tiny screws and pull the led ring off,

then put the cam back together, all the time the parent birds will be dive bombing me as they think i'm after the chicks.... i had to be super quick when i rung the chicks yesterday.

im in the UK BTW,

i'll try and find a supplier of spider spray, then find out if there's a number to ring or website on the can to find out whats in it and if it's harmfull to birds,

If it was a month later... i'd get a load of conkers and put them around the cameras.....

or maybe i can fix up a white light and have it turn on every hour for a minute or so, letting the birds see the spiders and eat em