faust151

Zmodo internet access

I just setup my second zmodo system, 8 channel dvr system, Ive got it networked, can login and view the cameras fine on my PC on my home network. I setup my router with port forwarding and static route. From outside my ISP I can connect and get the login page but it says login failed. Since I can see the login page from outside it must be networked properly but I cannot figure out why I cant login to it over the internet. Ive been trying to figure this out on and off for over a year and its very frustrating. I havent been able to find any settings on the device or in the manuals or online that might explain this. I was hoping getting a newer system might not have this problem but same as my older 4 channel system. Login Failed even though everything looks to be setup correct and can login and access it fine on my local network PC.

Thanks,

I agree with yakky, check both of the ports to see if they are open. Sounds like one of them may not be open.

Also, if it's a newer Zmodo DVR, look for a setting called IP Access and change it to 'Disabled'. This is actually an IP Access list, and when it's enabled, only the devices in that list can connect to the DVR.

The IP access was already disabled. I cant see any way to configure the ports other than changing the port numbers. I access the device on my local network with the internal IP, login page comes up to port 5050 which is the command port, and I can login to it on my pc, from outside I connect to the outside IP address and the login page comes up automatically to that 5050 port but wont let me login. The http port is default to 80, from outside if I switch it from 5050 to 80 it says the port has to b 4 digits so Im thinking I can change the http port on the device to 4 digits and try it again from outside to the new http port number. But Ive tried that before on an old zmodo device with the same problem. I got a newer one off woot to see if it would work better. But ofcourse it doesnt, its way more configureable but still same problem connecting from outside my local network, can get to login page but wont let me login. Ugh.

I have a similar Zmodo unit and after talking with them I actually had to have 3 ports forwarded -- one for the LAN (internal to my PC), one for Internet viewing through a remote PC and the last for use with my iPhone. I use the Naway software they recommended and although it has limited functionality I can at least see my cameras from the cell phone.

I also use a DNS service to keep track of the changing IP address. Make sure you have the ports in your router configured to correspond to those on the setup screen of your DVR. They are a pretty inexpensive unit but if you can work through the settings without the help of a detailed owners manual, it should work okay in the end. You might call Zmodo tech help. Toll Free: 866-551-6881 They actually speak English and are located in Illinois. Good luck.

Another thought. Since you can see the login page and you're told "Login Failed" you might check your user settings to see if the user name and password are consistent with what you are entering. The admin setting should give you access with a generic password of 666666 unless you've changed them.

Yeah it doesn't sound like he has all the ports open. Sounds like he only has 80 opened for the web access and didn't forward the other ports properly. yougetsignal.com is a great place to test if ports are open.

Either he doesn't have all the required ports open or the location where he's trying to logon has those ports blocked. Try the telnet test. telnet

Here's an example: telnet 72.34.234.12 5050

If you get a blank screen with no error message your good.

Ello! (Hello, first post)

Well I got mine at Fry's electronics for like $79 bucks. I am happy as a clam.

I to do most of my stuff from my laptop. And this unit is no exception.

I to had the same issue.

No I have the model

204900_1.jpg

that is the one without the hard drive.

QUICK NOTE:

If put a hard drive in there and it dies, you just got a crappy drive. Any hard drive made will work fine. If they work in plastic US cases, it will work in the Zmodo. Plus, it has Metal mounts that mount right to the unit and does act like a massive heat sink. Not a great one, but at least it does the job ok for 5500 drives. And 7200RPM drives that run on the cool side.

I'm not really worried about the Raptor. the 140 Gig drive is way to small for it really, but this is a test. I plan to do a whole review on this thing later.

For mine, I put in a 10,000 RPM Raptor in there. I also had a old fan from a 12-120v convertor that fit, but it runs hell a fast. I wonder if there is an option for fan control from the OS. That would be super. Might ask about it later. it does fit, but there is allot of restriction on it, and you have to mount it a special way. So on to your question.

When I went over setting it up, it came with a static IP. At first I could not see it on my network till I logged on, and messed with some of the setting.

Now here are some of my screen shots in this post. Look at them. I can only upload 3 at a time, but I will try for more in a sec.

So here is how I did it.

I had to do it with the remote first at the machine.

First if you do not have the manual for your unit. GET IT>

Login by using the password that is in the manual. For Me the Default one was Admin and 111111

If you have the remote, or a mouse, punch that in to the MAIN dvr interface on the VGA monitor.

Now you have to go into the setting. What got me to was the enable access from ip or something like that. I had it to enable. You want it set to disable not anything else at this point.

Then you have tofollow the instructions that say that you have to set it to DHCP first, then you have to reboot, ( I tried, save and then logout. ) then I had to power cycle my machnine as it wuold not turn off from the switch on the back.

After I did that, the manual said to go back switch it to static, then go to the IP address feiled the last octetes (this should be like 102-109 etc..

then it says to change it to 20. So I did that.

Now when you log in, you have to change the IP addres in the address feild to wjhat you changed it to on the system from your browser that you are now going to use to get into the Zmodo box

so like 192.168.2.120 etc For me its 192.168.1.120 (linkysys router)

FRom there, you should beable to log in

Makesure you type Admin with upper case "A" and 111111 (Six of them) and you will be in on the defualt password if yo uhave not changed it. (but you should)

After I did that I was able to log in.

But it took me a while.

But the magic setting was the Net accsess selction on the box, I forgot what the name was.

Think of this box like an IP filter

If you already set this up, then you would have no problem when you set to allow or somthingliek that .

But that is asfar as I have got so far.

Hope this helps a little.

imickey503

PS, I should have a video of the whole thing up soon on my channel on youtube.

1409670264_zmodosetup-LoginSUCCSESS.png.f4916c7f756e44802db7ac32706fb22f.png

1785443513_zmodosetup-Parametersscreen.png.0bd4594663909b8712f895fdf70d3673.png

1002632773_zmodosetup-Failedlogin.png.6c90f9e452040c458696348d5c7de98c.png

If you do it right, you should be able to get into the box.

Make sure you are on the same subnet as well. And your IP address range on your router is able to accept the IP in its Address table.

869137377_zmodosetup.png.64849dc5230fbfae35695567f2e5e66a.png

Glad you got it figured out. I got some help from the Zmodo tech support folks although depending on who answers the call, the quality of the help will vary considerably.

An earlier post said any hard drive will do but in one of the several exchanges I had with them, I was told to use an AV grade hard drive -- one made specifically for use with DVR's. Their point was that with the constant overwriting on the drive in surveillance systems the drive will fail prematurely if it isn't rated for that use. The reason I know that is I that I bought a standard HD after upgrading from a smaller one. After a short time I couldn't get it to reboot and had other problems. Once I bought the AV drive, things have been fine. I don't think I paid any more than for a standard drive so it might be worth using one if you plan to change out the drive at some point.

need help..

was able to access my zmodo dvr locally and outside (thru internet access).

however, once i turn off my dsl modem and router, the external ip changes since our isp serves dynamic ip instead of static.

i was able to rectify the problem by registering thru the zmodo dns service. it will update the ever-changing ip address to the dns domain that i have created.. however when i turn off the router. i would always found out that the ports that i have opened would close. everytime i turn off both the dsl modem and router, i would have to login to my router and re-save the settings of the port forwarding to make the ports open.

is there any way that even if i turn off router, the ports would not close??

Why are you turning off the modem and router? I keep mine on 24/7.

Are you in North Korea?

Nope. im from philippines. there will be times that we need to turn it off. Because even a minor power fluctuation would cause both modem and router to lose power for a second then would turn on again. Sometimes, the people in the house would accidentally turn it off. hehe

So any ideas if theres a solution to this?

I see your router is a Linksys. What model is it? You might try using the troubleshooting resources at the Linksys website. My router has to be powered off occasionally because of problems with my TIVO service losing a connection but it always saves the port forwarding settings for my HVR.

I have the zmodo ZMD-DT-SCN8. I also had issue where I couldn't access the camera from the internet using IE.

I will try to save you some time and money from calling support. I was able to resolve by opening the ports below. I'm not going to get into how to setup or open ports on your specific router, but I will provide the ports and how to verify them below.

For Internet Explorer access via the internet. Check your network settings on the DVR. i.e. setting -> System -> Network. Look for Media Port and http Port. Mine was default at 34567 and 80. So I had to open both ports on my router/firewall and voila it worked.

port 80 - for http

port 34567 -for ie to work

For phone access I changed the Mobile port to 9001. I can't remember the default. To change it's under System -> NetService and then Mobile Monitor. Click enable and note port or change it like I did. I used Aplayer app which seemed to be the best free app for iphone. However, it doesn't have playback feature. If anyone knows an iphone app that is compatible with zmodo dvr and can playback, please let me know.

port 9001 - mobile access

Dave