Jay556

New a have a question..running cable under siding

Hello all,

New to CCTV install, some experience with using and monitoring through various employment I have had.

I recently purchased a 4 cam kit from a big box store. Yes, I know it's "cheap/poor image quality/junk/limited/etc etc" but it will get m off the ground and a idea of how these systems work (to upgrade in the future).

Just purchased the home and the attic space isn't really attic space. There is essentially a crawl space. The home had additions built on at some point and access to the front and back sides of the house is restricted from the attic.

I would like to mount cameras on all four corners but am having difficulty routing cables. Initially (before I entered the attic/crawlspace) I was going to run the cable up through the fascia but now that I have explored th attic, I can not get to the front or rear to do this without a powersaw (not something I would like to do).

My question is, would it be alright to run the cable under the vinyl siding to a entry point? This is the siamese cable with the power wire.

Thanks!

That's the way I did my first home install; ran the cables under the siding to a common entry point and into the basement. I had no problems with image quality. Since then the cables were installed in conduit.

Mr. Kunda,

Thank you for the reply.

I assume it would be a good idea to wrap the connection points with electrical tape or shrink tube them for weather resistance?

(to upgrade in the future).

hi. one thing to concider is to not use the lead kits that come with the kit systems.

i would look at runnin cat5. with baluns

Tom,

In the future as budget will allow I intend to upgrade, hopefully adding a ptz atleast on the front porch and rear yard area.

But for now, I have four operational cameras! Finished the install a couple hours ago.

Still need to aim them a little better but I'll have to wait for a helper tomorrow.

I recently purchased a 4 cam kit from a big box store. Yes, I know it's "cheap/poor image quality/junk/limited/etc etc" but it will get m off the ground and a idea of how these systems work (to upgrade in the future).

Too late now, of course, but for future reference: the only problem with this thinking is that many (most?) of these types of kits use cameras, DVRs, and pre-made cables with proprietary connectors... making it virtually impossible to upgrade just one thing at a time. If this system is like that, upgrading will be an all-or-nothing venture ("all" including the cables).

Mr. Ion,

Thank you for the reply.

I understand what you are saying. I believe these are called BNC connectors which seem fairly common.

However, all is not lost if I am unable to upgrade this system. If that turns out to be the case, I will move this one indoors