Logicbytes

New install CCTV system residential install

Hi guys I hope you can help me out, I am on a limited time frame to install a CCTV system in my house and hope you can give me some good advice and recommendations for equipment.

To give you some info in my current plan there will be 7 outdoor cameras I will be installing. I think I want to go IP based MP cameras for better resolution something from say 1.3 MP to 2 MP I would like to use domes if possible. Two of these outdoor cameras will be underneath a porch that would be reachable with a step ladder. I will be pulling 2 cat5e cables per location so I can add additional cameras easily in the future. There is some ambient light at night from street lamps. I will also need one indoor camera in small closet 3ft wide x 10ft long this area can be in complete darkness at times or have a light on in the room. If possible I would like to put a small concealable camera in this room instead of a big dome. I would like to be able to view the system remotely via web browser, iOS device (iPhone, iPad) and android device. If possible I would like to keep the camera pricing between $150-$225 if possible. Although I will only need to record 8 channels currently I would like to have some expandability in the recording solution. I am open to suggestions on using a NVR or Computer with local or network based storage. I am not sure if all IP cameras have POE as a power option by I would like to us a POE switch to power the cameras if possible. Links to suggestions and video examples would be greatly appreciated as I would like to order everything within the next few days if possible. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and input.

Thanks for the info xellbuy, how are these cameras in low light? Looking at dahua's site I see they have a 3MP and 1.3MP camera that have IR's on them, are the IR's really nesessary or does the 2MP camera have a digital setting that makes up for lack of IR. I also see they have a version of the NVR that has 16channels and 4 POE ports and also allows up to 8TB of storage. I did a quick google search and don't really see places selling the new NVR and the other cameras does anyone know of a place to get them.

Hi, I am not sure why can't you go for analog cameras and DVR's. Good quality brand such as Samsung or Panasonic will produce good pictures. Anyway, IP cameras higher resolution of video images than analog CCTV and wider coverage, you may not need many cameras. Axis is a good brand for IP related products and they have some useful designing tools to help you designing your system. Lux levels are quoted by all IP camera manufacturers to indicate the low light level capabilities of their cameras. Lux has nothing to do with IP. http://www.axis.com

More hints about CCTV designing

http://cctvdvrsystem.co.uk/

The cameras need some background light. Otherwise they work well with little light, such as a streetlight close by, or motion lights.

Thanks for the info xellbuy, how are these cameras in low light?

If you value low light performance but are on a budget, consider going analog. Prices for quality IP cameras are still up there.

I do agree on going with a Dahua DVR though, good quality and well thought out. The idea of using a computer than needs regular updates and care and feeding is completely unappealing to me, dedicated hardware is the way to go.