Sulfuric_Acid

DVR with android support

Depending on how many cameras you need, you can download Pelco's Digital Sentry software from their website and run it on any PC, also they have a server available if you need the full solution, or want analog camera support.

PTZ controls are amazing on my motorola xoom.

IP Cam viewer works with almost any DVR, or IP camera. I use it alot, all my customers use it. The dev is great and updates often. The only issue with it is that you cant playback recorded video...yet. Never had a problem with it. Have used the Aver, Pelco and Digimerge apps and they seem to work fine.

How much functionality do you want? I have a night owl system, which I'm told is similar to a Swann system and I use an app called ASee. I can view live feeds for all the cameras and take snapshots but I can't view saved data.

I looked at the manual for the Lorex and the web interface looks identical to mine and the phone app looks similar. It's setup to use DDNS where as mine goes directly. I suspect they're similar. The VGA setup screens are similar but not the same, although I haven't connected that way since I've updated the firmware on mine so maybe it's changed. Also I believe the firmware update added DDNS functionality to my unit as well.

My unit is the Night Owl Posidon DVR. I got mine for $129 on sale with no HD and bought a 2T drive for around $100. 2T is averaging about 5 weeks of video storage from 8 channels. I probably could get that down playing with the sensitivity because I have lots of video of trees swaying in the breeze...

http://www.nightowlsp.com/Products/8-Channel_2/Poseidon-DVR

It's a very cheap unit and not always intuitive to use but I like it and for the cost it serves it's purpose. Later I plan on upgrading to a hybrid and adding some IP cams.

David

I've got an 8 channel Lorex ECO DVR. Recorded video quality sucks. I have some better-than-Lorex cameras on the system as well as the stock ones and it doesn't matter how good your cameras are. The recorded video sucks. No good for ID with 8 cameras sharing the bandwidth. Recorded quality is a bit better if you just use 4 channels to bump up the framerate but still not good. I wouldn't recommend one except it you just want to use it to see what's going on while you're watching the screen or to keep tabs on people you already know. Don't expect to identify strangers beyond a general description or plates under 90% of conditions. It also seems to skip motion events sometimes when fast forwarding through recorded video.

I don't have the Lorex system but I would agree in general that the basic, run of the mill, inexpensive analog dvr's out there are going to suffer from poor video quality.

At $500 for the Lorex system I would look at the Aver EH1008H hybrid system. For me, with a sub $250 dvr I accept that it's just a basic, simple system with poor quality. Fits the needs and the budget for now.

Here's a couple screen caps from mine. Camera is a 1/3" sony sensor dome, 420TVL

file.php?id=4092

file.php?id=4093