cctvwatch

"Inexpensive" IP cameras??

We need to know what you definition of inexpensive is. $100? $300? $973?

Also, what kind of camera, indoor, outdoor, dome, bullet, PTZ, need IR, need megapixel?

I'd say there are plenty of inexpensive IP cameras out there and they are only getting better for less money.

Sorry... I would say under $100. I suspect they won't be in the area for long. They will likely disappear or be broken with the help of some of our locals.

There are few good analog cameras under $100. IMO, it'll be a few years before the IP cameras get cheap enough to consider for me. Biggest issue is night time performance.

Other than Ubiquiti cameras I know of nothing in that price range. Might be worth a look though, I've bever used them but I have used other Ubiquiti networking stuff and it is amazing at any price.

http://www.ubnt.com/airvision

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Aircam-Megapixel-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B007RFFTUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344365304&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+aircam

Usually for an entry/mid level brand you are looking at about roughly $300 a camera or so.

I tried one of ubiquiti cameras and was not impressed it is not megapixel I did like the software but the camera is not much all the other ubiquiti stuff is great especially at the price.

Does anyone know if there are any inexpensive indoor/outdoor ip cameras on the market?

thanks

You can search on eBay. There will be a lot of choices

For $100 there really aren't any nice IP cameras. Probably the most common in that price range are the Foscams on Amazon, Ebay, etc., but they aren't megapixel, and the cameras have so many features in them that they don't really do any single thing particularly well.

From my research the best camera close to that price is possibly the $150 Dropcam HD. It's a genuine HD camera. Very small, wireless. The most glaring drawback of it is that you only get real-time monitoring with it unless you pay $9.99/month, which then gives you history and what not of your vids. I've seen some sample vids and they are pretty decent. There are lots of reviews on Amazon. The benefit to it is that its setup seems absolutely drop-dead idiotically easy--and reliable. No need to mess with port forwarding, IP assignment, firewalls anything like that. It handles everything for you and is constantly streaming its HD stream to the Dropcam servers (60GB/month!).

There are now megapixel IP cameras in the $150-200 range, but they aren't necessarily for the faint of heart: you won't have responsive US-based support for them.

There may be exceptions to the above; Full disclosure I'm a total newb in this stuff but have been reading up on it for a few months.

As mentioned, prices are coming down fast. When I joined this site in September I think that the Vivotek 8332 1 MP camera was about the cheapest megapixel IP cam and now approximately the same amount of cash will get you a 2 MP from somebody like Dahua.

If you shop directly from China, like an AliExpress you can probably find some pretty nice 720P or even 1080P cameras for about $100. Here's a vandal proof mini dome that may stand to some abuse for not much more than the your Benjamin. Judging from the specs, it's an unbranded Dahua which would give you decent results.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/538273605-1-3-Megapixel-CMOS-Full-HD-Vandal-proof-Network-Mini-Dome-Camera-720P-IP-CAMERA-1-wholesalers.html