Sign in to follow this  
areinike

Bought PST-DVR616 - Firmware to improve GUI?

198916_1.jpg

It's basically a nice embedded Linux 16 channel 7fps D1 (120fps) DVR with jog shuttle and DVD burner. I love the feel, style and performance, but it's lacking just overall GUI features. Playback seems primitive and the job shuttle doesn't seem to do a whole lot. Now granted, I probably need to mess with it a little bit more, but my question is, what other brands might use this DVR and would anybody know of a good firmware for it?

198916_1.jpg

It's basically a nice embedded Linux 16 channel 7fps D1 (120fps) DVR with jog shuttle and DVD burner. I love the feel, style and performance, but it's lacking just overall GUI features. Playback seems primitive and the job shuttle doesn't seem to do a whole lot. Now granted, I probably need to mess with it a little bit more, but my question is, what other brands might use this DVR and would anybody know of a good firmware for it?

I have had the misfortune to use this model just this week. I got it from my supplier here in Ireland It was a piece of junk.

1. No instruction manual, set up guide , software cd , no literature of any description.

2. DVR will not record on motion, set up and save for motion and nothing, if you use schedule it wont record either, return dvr to always record and it works straight away.

3. Spot out monitor is not getting a display.

4. No option to set up other user id other than user 1 ( normally called admin, but on this its just 1)

5. Wont change from region Asia.

6. Network function is seriously messed up.I went to Setup and configured all network settings, connect via IE on windows xp , can see options for viewing with IE, software downloads etc, but then wont actually download dvr viewing software from dvr just hangs. Try to view via IE ,crashes IE repeatedly. Wont connect via iphone/android with h264 viewer. When you are trying to connect an IE symbol show up on the dvr display but thats as far as it goes, no connection is made.

These are the suppliers from china. But they dont seem to have a firmware update , and i badly need it. www.chinapst.com

I've been using this for a couple of weeks now and it takes some getting used to but I had an issue where it wouldn't save my location settings right away, but if I set it to US, Save and immediately reboot, it worked. It's working for motion detection, actually quite reasonably. The menus are a little lagging but it does what I need it to do. I'd have to check the firmware version I have. I mean, it's pretty simplistic but functional for my needs - the only gripe I have is how it records in 10 second chunks instead of 10 seconds after the motion stops - makes using the jog shuttle mundane. I suppose using a scheduled recording would prove that use. Anyway, I e-mailed chinapst and have yet to hear back - all I can get is the manual.

Per my other post, just received my "KW-9016", did a breakdown, could not determine if it is the AW-DN9016HF or PST-DVR616. The manuals for both units are very similar, however, the rear of my unit has a power switch, while the manual pictures do not for both units

The firmware for my unit is f1axa.v0.4.1.20601

Did some more digging - this unit is flogged by multiple distribution vendors, with the following models out there:

AW-DN9016HF (manufactured/assembled by Asenware)

PST-DVR616 (manufactured/assembled by China PST)

KW-9016 (this the unit I have)

DN-9016V

INS-LSDDVR16

FLSH-DVR9005

SS1616ASX (GXT Technologies & Securus - seems Securus keeps things up to date, has most recent firmware for their units)

Examining the Securus firmware (Ver. 0401), seems to be the most recent (root files dated March 2012), however, they have another group of application files dated July 2012. I don't know if this firmware would work with all of the above units (seems to have customized, seemingly, the Securus unit can handle a 3G cell dongle).

Also, seems the DN-9016 unit is referenced within the titles of the firmware.

Thanks for the input.

Could you tell me the firmware version on your unit?

This will help out a lot.

Did some more research, as well as flash an "unknown" image (not a smart thing to do, but due to high probability a good risk - it worked fine) from the Securus web site - seems that the base firmware is "f1axa.0.4.1.XXX"

It seems that SS1616ASX latest firmware just includes a new interface (jpg - you can add what ever picture you want, as long as the extension is "jpg" and the size is limited to 720 x 576 @ 72 dpi).

However, the problems with this firmware are the following:

- the time is screwed up when GMP is negative (re: -4.00, etc.), you get "random" time elements (don't know why - probably in one of the linux kernel modules).

- can't connect remotely using the free dns domains generated (also, per the firmware, you have to use selected vendors - I don't know if you can use other vendors).

Well, I'll still be using my existing nightowl unit until I can figure out more details on this system.

I had written it down somewhere, I'd have to look it up when I get home. It's the f1axa something or other. I don't have it online as I scored a decent deal for a QVIS Apollo Pro HD 16 unit I've been playing with. But I still have the 9016.

Good news to hear.

Found out this particular unit is manufactured/assemblied (who knows where the main board, etc. came from) by Shenzhen Xinshijia Technologies (XSJ).

BTW: what price did you pay for the Apollo unit?

I have got the firmware for this unit. I haven't flashed the old unit yet, to be honest im a bit nervous about doing it. The instructions show that a warning pops up when updating that you can brick it, not making me very optimistic. I tried to attach to this post but it wont let me

Thank you for the information.

Where did you get the firmware from? Is it from XSJ or Securus? (XSJ has taken down the file from their website).

You should be able to upload the firmware (when you create a new post, you should at the bottom of the page under "Upload Attachment").

Thank you for the information.

Where did you get the firmware from? Is it from XSJ or Securus? (XSJ has taken down the file from their website).

You should be able to upload the firmware (when you create a new post, you should at the bottom of the page under "Upload Attachment").

I got it from these people SHENZHEN PROFESSIONAL SECURITY TECHNOLOGY Co

It just wont upload, just keeps trying to load and it goes nowhere, guess there is a cap on attachment size.

No problems - is it possible to email me the the file?

(I'm assuming the file(s) are already compressed, either zip or rar).

No problems - is it possible to email me the the file?

(I'm assuming the file(s) are already compressed, either zip or rar).

Yes its in a rar file. PM me or post up your email and ill send it on to you.

Seemingly, I can't compose PMs. However, you can send me the file to the following e-mail address:

guy12346z@gmail.com

Much appreciated.

Just sent it to you. Hope Gmail accepts it at your end can be funny about zip, rar or exe files

Let me know.

Thanks for the firmware, however, this firmware had been the original which had been on my system (f1axa.0.4.1.20601).

The Securus firmware is version f1axa.0.4.1.20714. Oh well.

It still load in properly.

Also, I changed the welcome screen (file labelled "logo_dn9016.jpg) to a mountain/lake picture.

Next step would be load in a different Securus firmware ("basic" - it should work), however, I'm going to wait a while on that one.

Again, thanks for the firmware.

Well, I've tried the multiple firmwares - sticking with the Securus. I've changed out the welcome screen to a skyline picture of my home town (Toronto).

The next step is to telnet (able to get the login & pw screen) successfully into this unit (essentially a linux box) and properly extract/modify the appropriate files.

If anyone knows the appropriate login and PW (I've tried all of the common values), can you please forward.

Thx.

Well, I've tried the multiple firmwares - sticking with the Securus. I've changed out the welcome screen to a skyline picture of my home town (Toronto).

The next step is to telnet (able to get the login & pw screen) successfully into this unit (essentially a linux box) and properly extract/modify the appropriate files.

If anyone knows the appropriate login and PW (I've tried all of the common values), can you please forward.

Thx.

Not sure if this will work for your firmware but for my nightowl I was able to use the unix "strings" command and grep for root, got a few hits that looked like password entries. The first I was able to crack in a few minutes, but it didn't work. The second I ran for a few weeks and never got a hit. Then I got fed up with the Nightowl and sent it back.

Ok - hopefully, this is not one of these devices where you need to contact the vendor (who ever that is) to get a PW with a limiting time frame (re: only good for 24 hours) - sort of what you got from those corporate boon dongles (many years ago - this is coming back, but using your company cell phone system).

Still, the unit does show promise, more so than the low end name brand stuff (q-see, nightowl, etc.), since this unit does have more stuff available for tweaking.

Able to examine the updated firmware files. Two passwords have been hardcoded into the firmware for user "root". These are "" (none) and "helpme".

However, when I telnet into the unit (it does communicate, get the " login" and "password" entries), the passwords do not work (tried other user names, such as "admin", "user", "default", and other potential credible user names).

Either a different user name is needed (can't find any reference in any of the firmware files), or the actual "real" password has been encoded into the ROM bootstrap.