digiblur

CNB VCM-24VF stuck in day mode

So out of everyone talking up these cameras on this board I decided to buy one. I put in a location that has some ok lighting by street lights and such. I had an IR dome here but when you walked close to it, of course you had white out. I was going to just cover some of the IR and be done with it but I decided to get this camera. The picture looks great during the day! WOW!! The colors pop! Fast forward to night and it's stuck in day mode. ARGHHH!!! I toy around with it and get it to switch by putting my hand up. It stays all night and switches in the morning back to day mode. Now it's night again and sure enough it won't switch.

I like the build and everything else about the camera. One of the easiest camera installs I've ever done with the extra video port and such. But I'm about to rip it down and take some electrical tape and cut it to fit over some of the IR on my other little dome camera. Any help on some settings for this camera would be great. I'd rather not post public pictures of my system on the internet (yes, I'm worry wart and that's why I have this system right?), but it's under an eave near a carport capturing the rear of the vehicles and some of the side of the house.

Did you play with the level settings at all for the day/night switch?

Sometimes on these cameras, they need a factory reset (use the INIT option on the main menu) before everything else works fully.

Yeah, I've tried that... I think I set it to High as that seems to be the best, it finally switches but just stays in day mode too long. Debating on returning this thing due this major flaw.

Maybe it's because you have enough light to keep it in day mode. It's been said the camera is a very good low light camera. Unless the picture is grainy or noisy in color, if a camera wants to stay in color at night and the picture is noise free, that's fine with me.

I toyed around with it some more and also found another post stating someone had to turn the AGC up to 15 or something like that. It looks like it's switch okay now. Not really optimal point but decent. I guess I'm spoiled with the other cams I've dealt with with the big 200 point scale for Day and Night modes went to switch back and forth. So I assume the High on the Day/Night mode is the one I want if it doesn't want to change right?

But at least this camera saves it's settings. I just found out that Vonnic dome I bought won't keep it's settings even after hitting SAVE ALL. Pain in the butt to either take the dome down to get to the wire then repoint it again or crawl in the attic to get to the button on the wire.

Now that I have this stuff down I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on another CNB. Maybe the same one. I currently have an EFFIO-E IR dome there and it does pretty well. Had to cover some of the IR as it was just too hot. Once I covered some of the IR the iris opened up and it can actually see pretty well. But it looks kinda ghetto looking with the tape on the lense and the humidity of the South won't allow the tape to stay on long. I was thinking of maybe getting another CNB but with the Intelligent IR in case I wanted to put it in a dark area without having to buy an IR emitter.

So many to pick from... not sure what to get: CNB LCM-24VF, LDM-24VF, LFM-20VF, or maybe wing it with another VCM-24VF. What's the 20 and 24 mean on the model numbers? Lower numbers means worse to me

So many to pick from... not sure what to get: CNB LCM-24VF, LDM-24VF, LFM-20VF, or maybe wing it with another VCM-24VF. What's the 20 and 24 mean on the model numbers? Lower numbers means worse to me

As far as I understand CNB model numbers...

x0 = 12VDC NTSC

x1 = 12VDC PAL

x4 = 12VDC/24VAC NTSC

x5 = 12VDC/24VAC PAL

I'd stick with the x4s if possible (24, 34, etc.) - more versatile.

Also (note: none of the following are authoritative; this is just what I've gathered looking at various model numbers):

Vxx prefix is Vandal Dome

Dxx prefix is standard (indoor) Dome

Lxx prefix is IR dome

xBx prefix is surface-mount only

xCx prefix is flush mount, or surface mount via back-box

VF suffix is Varifocal, True Day/Night

VD suffix is Varifocal, Color-only

S suffix is fixed-focal lens

I guess I was hoping the 24 or 20 was something about the camera sensor used. Voltage...meh... 12vdc is fine for my use. If I really had to I could find a source very close to the camera anyways. Thanks for the info.

It's not so much about the proximity of the source as the overall versatility. The dual-voltage models will actually run on just about anything from 10-30V, AC or DC. It's just nice to have the extra options should the need ever arise.

I have one that gets stuck in night (BW) mode. I can manually switch it using the OSM and it'll reset to daytime mode if I cycle the power but it wont switch back to daytime mode on its own. I've since replaced it with anew VCM-24VF using the exact same settings and it works fine like the other three I have.

I've send abandoned it in that one location. I put the IR dome back, but with some perfectly cut out electrical tape over the bottom half of the IR LEDs. The camera was a closeup camera and would get washed out sometimes. Not anymore, just perfect, I can see the iris change but yet the face not washed out. So I put the CNB over in it's spot that doesn't have much light near it. Works pretty good now in the switching. I just need to get my focus and zoom dialed in where I want. So touchy...