atamai

Migrating from analog CCTV to newer technology

Hello forum, we currently have and old CCTV system:

2 DVR Samsung 4 years old

1 PC with AVERMEDIA 6480 Express capture card

44 SSCG103A

Fixed color analog camera with 540 TVL, high sensitivity, electronic day/night, AC24V/DC12V.

1 Arecont 8180 180 view angle

We install the Arecont camera to try to get megapixel clarity to identify robers on launch area but the solution arecont with avermedia dont work very well.

On the analog cameras we dont have much quality, we cannot identify suspects.

We have a centralized place where we have monitors and all the DVRs, the security guards watch the cameras.

I want a solution because with the current system we cannot identify faces, the searching options on samsung DVR are horrible, the search on avermedia is very good, but the camera quality is no good.

Our cameras are currently pointed to entrances, parking lots, we need some cameras to have night vision (outdoor).

I heard about mobotix, but i dont know if i can concentrate mobotix cameras on one interface for security guards.

Please advice.

Thanks!!

Those Sony cameras aren't bad... not great, but not bad. "Electronic day/night" simply means they have no IR cut filter and compensate for the IR electronically.

What resolution are these DVRs all recording at? Do they support D1?

You may need to tighten some views to get better detail. In general, even with megapixel, it will be hard to get facial detail on a wide shot - the best idea is to have sufficient overview coverage, then a few tight shots on "choke points" like gates and doorways for higher detail.

Mobotix makes some of the best cameras out there. While they work independantly of each other for recording, you can view and manage them using their free CMS software called MXControlCenter. While they cost more than other solutions, they don't require an NVR. They can write directly to and manage the recordings on a NAS drive which is cheap and disposable. We use WD and Bufalo NAS.

The DVR samsung records at half D1 with 3.7 FPS by each camera

The Avermedia DVR records at 640x480 (VGA) with 15 FPS by each camera.

We have more problems with Samsung search capability, maybe the option is to change the Samsung DVR and use the a newer DVR to save the sony cameras.

And install a few megapixel cameras on hot spots with a tight shots.

What DVR do you recommend me? another Avermedia DVR?

Thanks!!

Hello Buel,

I like the idea of mobotix, but i need them on a centralized screen, maybe only a simple computer with the MXControlCenter installed.

I can upgrade my old samsung DVR for a newer DVR with higher resolution recording and add a few mobotix on places where i need more resolution.

What do you think?

Thanks!!

Kinda depends on your budget. Personally, I recommend 3xLogic Vigil systems as a top-notch hybrid unit - the search functions are outstanding (see this article: http://security-today.com/Articles/2012/08/01/Peace-of-Mind.aspx), you can keep all your existing cameras and migrate them to IP as need and budget dictates, and multiple DVRs can be centrally managed and monitored from the client software. The catch is that they're not cheap (probably looking at anywhere from $3500-$6000 MSRP, depending on features, modules used, and channels), but hey, you get what you pay for.

The Avermedia DVR records at 640x480

hi your card will do D1 analog. and remember its also hybrid running mobotix direct is no problem.

Your 6480 should be able to record a wide variety of IP cams if you've got a channel open. I've got an AV5105DN connected to an NV6240 along with a half-dozen other IP cams, and it's working fine.

What's the problem you're having with the 6480 and the Arecont?

You can use any PC for MXControlCener and you don't have to leave it on when you are not using it. At one site we just use a laptop when we want to run MxControlCenter.

You can use any PC for MXControlCener and you don't have to leave it on when you are not using it. At one site we just use a laptop when we want to run MxControlCenter.

How much storage is on the camera?

How many days of video are you able to store?

We use a 1TB WD MyBook Live at two locations and a 2TB Buffalo Linkstation at another. You can use 64GB SD cards but that's more expensive.

Hello sorry for the late response,

On the arecont camera i cannot record up to 1 FPS. I try with other softwares and i can record 5-10 FPS but with avermedia i cannot.

I found this camera have 4 channels (AV8180) and if i only activate 2 channels i get more FPS but when im enable the 4 channels the FPS get to 1.