ipvision

Weatherproof solution for dropping cameras

I have a customer who owns a local box retail store. It is a very large store, ceiling is about 30ft high. They have a camera located at the entrance (camera is about 20ft off the ground) that they would like me to lower about 5ft for a better shot of the customers entering and leaving the store. Usually I would use a 2 gang junction box on the top and bottom with emt pipe in the middle, fasten the camera to a blank cover and connect that to the box on the bottom, and bolt the top box to the ceiling. This is a decent solution for light cameras indoor, but is not going to work with heavy cameras and outdoor cameras.

This camera is going to be outside and will get some rain so I do not see this as being the best solution. I cant use flex pipe obviously, so I am wondering what methods people use to lower cameras?

Thanks.

I'm not sure of all the details but I would use 1" ridgid and make sure it was anchored securely. Also, they make pendants for most cameras that are threaded on the top. If thats an option you can just use that instead of a box and screw right into the pendant. Put some thread seal on and your good to go.

But thats just my 2 cents.

Maybe something similar to this?

199638_1.jpg

Yes that would work, but it needs to be about 5ft long, or adjustable up to 5ft.

Black wall plumbing pipe. Home Depot. The pipe comes in standard sizes and 10 ft lengths, most of the time you can find it already threaded for the size on your housing. If not they can cut it and thread it for you. Also they have flanges for the other end (top) with bolt holes for mounting. Very rigid, clean looking, and accepts paint if you clean it first.

Black wall plumbing pipe. Home Depot. The pipe comes in standard sizes and 10 ft lengths, most of the time you can find it already threaded for the size on your housing. If not they can cut it and thread it for you. Also they have flanges for the other end (top) with bolt holes for mounting. Very rigid, clean looking, and accepts paint if you clean it first.

I was going to suggest this as well.

For my driveway I used a section of fireplace piping that happened to be exactly the diameter as my dome camera to mount it on the inside roof of my carport to lower the camera about 18 inches. Mounted on the wood it would have been too high. I used rivets and L-brackets to mount the camera to the piping and piping to the wood and it looks great and is relatively vandal-resistant as there are no exposed screws. That might not be a good idea for your situation, however so the plumbing pipe would be better at longer lengths.

Black wall plumbing pipe...

Yes. This stuff is bullet proof. But humidity (alone) in an otherwise dry location will rust it terribly and it will look like Qrap, so you're going to have to do a very good job painting it. In addition, don't assume that all threaded joints are waterproof; I would suggest that you use a good joint compound to assure there is no water intrusion.

Black wall plumbing pipe...

Yes. This stuff is bullet proof. But humidity (alone) in an otherwise dry location will rust it terribly and it will look like Qrap, so you're going to have to do a very good job painting it. In addition, don't assume that all threaded joints are waterproof; I would suggest that you use a good joint compound to assure there is no water intrusion.

I was going with the "Indoors" part of the question I guess - my fault. If it's outdoors mounted, yes you have to waterproof all joints - I use regular pipe dope - no Teflon tape. I also use a product called P.O.R. ( Paint Over Rust) for exterior stuff - DuPont I think? About $30.00 a quart in black and it paints over rust/steel/nasty metal easily and holds up really well in the weather. It's made for under carriages of trucks and trailers. Another cool one is "rattle-can" under truck body spray - for smaller stuff. Takes a bit to get the hang of an even coat, but it fills cracks, scratches, pitts, pinholes, etc. in 1 or 2 coats.

I try and do all my fabrication and prep/ painting in the shop first then bring it out to the site as a complete unit. Looks professional to the cust. that way and keeps the job less messy...