liukuohao

Dahua Megapixel Camera- which VMS software FULLY support it?

Don't know who developed it but the least expensive place I found that carries it is Linovision at $20/cam. Like I said, works very well, no issues I ran into. I want to take a look at another NVR product from NetVision which is free with camera purchase. I thought it was the same but it's not but supports ACTi cameras which is a huge plus for me.

Thanks of your comment.

Something just pops into my mind...........what about support?

Does the company provide support forum? I cannot seems to find it.

I know it does have a support form to fill up if you have problem with

the software, but do they committed in replying your question

promptly and efficiently. Or just simply ignore you and leave you scrambling

everywhere to get help.

That what I really worry about when comes buying a VMS software from Asian countries.

Hi badgcoupe,

Thanks for your input.

I just installed 4 Dahua's at my home and after trying Milestone, Avigilon, Exacq, Blueiris I settled with milestone.

It was rock solid in my testing, the price was right, their mobile client has been solid (aside from initially setting it up,) and the server side motion detection works well.

It is a bit of a CPU hog but on a Core i5 with 8GB RAM it's barely noticeable. The only time I notice it is on startup after a reboot or something.

I really liked the Avigilon software but unfortunately Dahua's motion detection is not supported... (yet, speaking with the tech folks at Avigilon they said if Dahua gets up to the latest version of ONVIF it should be supported.)

May I know which version Milestone Xprotect you are using to test your Dahua cameras? Xprotect Go??? or Essential???

Milestone Xprotect only support 1 model of Dahua camera, and that is the IP-HF3300P or a PAL version.

This is a 3MP camera, did you have 4 units of 3MP cameras tested using MS Xprotect at your home.

Also what is your Core i5 CPU usage in terms of % = 10% or 30 %??? when doing live monitoring on 4 x 3MP cameras +

software motion detection is enabled in MS Xprotect on 4 cameras?

Your answers is much appreciated.

Thanks.

I am using xProtect essential with software side motion detection. It utilizes about 25% of the processor (according to task manager.)

I am running 3 1.3MP bullets and a 2MP bullet style camera. When live viewing it jumps up to about 35-40%.

I'd say the biggest bottleneck in my system is the conventional mechanical 7200RPM hard disks. The only time I notice any speed issues is when reviewing motion detected footage in the monitor application.

I'm not sure about the support for the 3MP but I would assume ONVIF would cover that with Milestone, they seem to do well supporting ONVIF supported devices. I started with the trial to ensure before I bought anything.

Edited by Guest

Exactly where can I download the software from?

I was looking at the link that you given, above, but when I click download and select ANY of

the products, like....."NVMP_site", it will just show me the log on page.

I get myself registered, till now my account is not activated yet, since I did not receive

any email notice for asking me to activate my account.

I hate to say this, the website is kind of "half-cooked", this kind of work does not

show a good impression to potential customer who is interested in Netvision DVR

products. So the first impression completes the whole picture about the company.

And the impression is very negative.....

Thanks.

The website is "half=cooked". They changed it 2 or 3 months ago and since that time it looks better, but is really unprofessional with links not working all over etc.

You need an account to get to the Download section. The account needs to be "approved" by them. I suggest that you write to them and tell them that you want to try the program. They react to emails quickly.

This appears to be the NVR+ company website - http://www.ipcctv-software.com/features.html. Buying through them is expensive because it's in pounds sterling.

One could use CNET to download it from. Here's the link - http://software-files-a.cnet.com/s/software/12/17/79/88/nvr-ipcctv.zip

I am actually also planning an IP CCTV system now. I intended to go for a NetvisionDVR system, but now I am not so sure anymore.

How big exactly is the difference in CPU usage if I use camera or server MD? If Netvision only does server MD then I am concerned that my 16 - 20 IP camera system is going to overload the server...

I wanted to use a core i7 server and connect 16 - 20 1.3 MP cameras. Is this possible at all?

NVR+ is all server side motion detection, works fine. Were you able to find a copy of the NetVisionDVR software anywhere?

As for i7, that's a pretty powerful server, I think you'll be OK. You can actually go i5 as the only difference is the hyperthreading that most software can't take advantage of anyway. Maybe use the money to get faster clock speed i5 or overdrive the i5. I was thinking of upgrading my i3 to i5 or i7 but i7 didn't seem to add much value for the addional bucks. Maybe I'll use the difference I save to get a small SSD drive for the OS and the 1TB drive solely for recording.

Hi badgcoupe,

Thanks for your replying. " title="Applause" />

May I know what kind of CPU you are currently using Milestone Xprotect? Core2 Duo/ Quad Core Duo /i3 / i5 ?

I am using xProtect essential with software side motion detection. It utilizes about 25% of the processor (according to task manager.)

I am running 3 1.3MP bullets and a 2MP bullet style camera. When live viewing it jumps up to about 35-40%.

How to manage to get Xprotect Essential work with 3 x 1.3MP + 1 x 2MP Dahua cameras, when

the Xprotect camera support list only showed, it only supports a 3MP Box Dahua camera? Please refer to my screenshot at this link: http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8218/digifortmilestonexprote.jpg. You will see at the bottom, you can find only 1

Dahua camera is supported

I'd say the biggest bottleneck in my system is the conventional mechanical 7200RPM hard disks. The only time I notice any speed issues is when reviewing motion detected footage in the monitor application.

Same as me too, when doing video investigation, the system will take some time to retrieve

the video data from the storage hard disk. This is something that we have to accept it. Unless one has the spare $$$ and get oneself some of the super-duper fast SDDs.

I'm not sure about the support for the 3MP but I would assume ONVIF would cover that with Milestone, they seem to do well supporting ONVIF supported devices. I started with the trial to ensure before I bought anything.

Thank you.

if you want to speed up your milestone system and if you dont care about noise but want better perf :

use a dedicated disk for recording (i recommand a 250Go velociraptor) and another dedicated disk for archieving (like a caviar black)

i have this kind of setup for 16 x D1 cam and 11 x 1.3MP cam on an i7 3770 + 8go of ram, it runs like a charm even if i fast reveiw all cams simultanously

Hi lemike41,

Thanks for you input.

if you want to speed up your milestone system and if you dont care about noise but want better perf :

use a dedicated disk for recording (i recommand a 250Go velociraptor) and another dedicated disk for archieving (like a caviar black)

i have this kind of setup for 16 x D1 cam and 11 x 1.3MP cam on an i7 3770 + 8go of ram, it runs like a charm even if i fast reveiw all cams simultanously

According to your last statment....

It seems like system with i7 CPU is capable of handing 25-30 channels of real time video monitoring

and recording with hitting Maximum CPU usage. But then it depends on what kind of resolution of

decoding and encoding the system is doing.

Thanks.

I should do a full review but here's the two key screenshots so you get a flavor of what the product looks like. If you have Dahua and/or AVTech cameras, have trouble finding the right NVR software, this is the best I've seen so far.

Live View Screen

199865_1.jpg

Playback Screen

199865_2.jpg

Hi "Buelwinkel",

I notice you have your NVR+ running successfully.

Care you show how to add ACTi cameras using the Config Tool???

For the device type: Launch IP Series- this what I selected.

host = 192.168.1.xxx

Port = 80

Username = admin

Password = XXXX

But fail to recognise the camera.

Anyway does the NVR+ supports ACTi cameras?

However, for Axis cameras, no problem at all. It can recongize it without problem.

Thanks.

NVR+ is all server side motion detection, works fine. Were you able to find a copy of the NetVisionDVR software anywhere?

As for i7, that's a pretty powerful server, I think you'll be OK. You can actually go i5 as the only difference is the hyperthreading that most software can't take advantage of anyway. Maybe use the money to get faster clock speed i5 or overdrive the i5. I was thinking of upgrading my i3 to i5 or i7 but i7 didn't seem to add much value for the addional bucks. Maybe I'll use the difference I save to get a small SSD drive for the OS and the 1TB drive solely for recording.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the i5 to see if I can find one with a faster clock speed. I am very familiar with hardware and always build computers myself, but I have never tried overclocking.

I have NetvisionDVR already and I have access to the Download section of their Website. I don't have any Dahua camera yet to test it though. I have an analogue NetvisionDVR with 32 Channels and several smaller ones on different sites.

The 32 Channel DVR has a Core 2 Quad @ 2500MHz and uses only 10 - 15 % CPU when not displaying cameras. But the encoding cards are all Hardware encoding of course and I don't know if the MD is handled by the encoding card or the CPU.

Hi lemike41,

Thanks for you input.

It seems like system with i7 CPU is capable of handing 25-30 channels of real time video monitoring

and recording with hitting Maximum CPU usage. But then it depends on what kind of resolution of

Thanks.

the latest i7 are killers

my cpu usage is approx 25% while viewing & recording, and approx 10% while recording only, i have 3 monitors, 1 for the desktop, 1 with 6 cams (6 x 1.3mp) and 1 with 12 cams (7 x D1 and 5 x 1.3MP)

i can't reach 100% even if i fast review all my cams

Hi lemike41,

Thanks for you input again.

Hi lemike41,

Thanks for you input.

Thanks.

the latest i7 are killers

my cpu usage is approx 25% while viewing & recording, and approx 10% while recording only, i have 3 monitors, 1 for the desktop, 1 with 6 cams (6 x 1.3mp) and 1 with 12 cams (7 x D1 and 5 x 1.3MP)

i can't reach 100% even if i fast review all my cams

Sigh ......looks like I need find more $$$ to buy a i7 CPU and motherboard and DDR3 memories

in the future, if I want to get a couple of H.264 MP cameras running properly.

May I know what kind of VMS are you using?

Thanks.

You can save money and get an i5, $100-200 cheaper and almost as fast. For the same clock speed, the i7 peforms the same but adds hyperthreading. Not sure if a lot of apps take advantage of it. You can always overclock the i5 too if you need a little more oomph, about 50% more oomph.

Thanks.

i use milestone Xpress on this entreprise level instalation

hyperthreading is supported by milestone smart client so you take full advantage of the I7 3770

i would not recommand to OC an enterprise server, if you don't have correct voltages issues could appear, it's not like having more fps on a game...then a crash during a party... just imagine that the recording service freeze due to a bad OC... i preefer to put an extra $100 on the more advanced cpu and run it at stock, the frequency is not the key to more performances, be sure to have good memory, strong & fast hard drive correctly cooled and a decent graphic card

Thanks.

i use milestone Xpress on this entreprise level instalation

hyperthreading is supported by milestone smart client so you take full advantage of the I7 3770

i would not recommand to OC an enterprise server, if you don't have correct voltages issues could appear, it's not like having more fps on a game...then a crash during a party... just imagine that the recording service freeze due to a bad OC... i preefer to put an extra $100 on the more advanced cpu and run it at stock, the frequency is not the key to more performances, be sure to have good memory, strong & fast hard drive correctly cooled and a decent graphic card

OK, thanks yet again for your input.

But I think I am getting off track here......discussing about hardware requirement for VMS.

First of all, I am not here to brag on about Intel CPU, actually I am an AMD Fan.........

But.........

I think there is reason why i7 CPU is the recommended of CCTV applications.

I think, it has something to do with the CPU instruction set that software developers use when

testing and designing VMS.

I think, there is a reason why the extra $$$ is required to pay for when comparing with

Quad Core2 CPU and i7 CPU. And I believe it is worth very penny of it.......if you want

something stable and do the job well

Here is the reason......

200091_1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Overclocking? To me this something that I have not done before,

let alone testing on a production machine. So overclocking is not my cup of tea at the

moment, unless it is my machine and I interested in playing games at home.

Thanks.

Edited by Guest

Just a note on NVR+ that I ran into that may help with those considering it. If you buy a camera license, it's for that specific camera as it generates a string that you provide them and they give you a license key specific to that camera on that specific PC. If that camera gets replaced, say even under warranty, you have to pay for a new license key, same with PC. I know, sucks. BUT, you have the option of buying a USB key, I believe it's $10. With that key, you get the number of channels you buy regardless of camera or PC, so say you get a 4 channel license, it's 4 channels of any camera they support anytime on any PC that has that USB key. While I never enjoy having to deal with these piracy protection methods, the Dahua cameras worked best with this software. If anyone finds a cheaper source or better software, let me know.

Just a note on NVR+ that I ran into that may help with those considering it. If you buy a camera license, it's for that specific camera as it generates a string that you provide them and they give you a license key specific to that camera on that specific PC. If that camera gets replaced, say even under warranty, you have to pay for a new license key, same with PC. I know, sucks. BUT, you have the option of buying a USB key, I believe it's $10. With that key, you get the number of channels you buy regardless of camera or PC, so say you get a 4 channel license, it's 4 channels of any camera they support anytime on any PC that has that USB key. While I never enjoy having to deal with these piracy protection methods, the Dahua cameras worked best with this software. If anyone finds a cheaper source or better software, let me know.

Hi Buellwinkle,

So I guess you bought the USB key for testing 4 channels with differrent brand

of IP camera connected, right?

Where can I buy the USB key from?

By the way, Milestone Xprotect VMS software sucks, because of its

Program Maintenance Agreement (PMA) which is now changed to SUP (Software

Upragde Plan). This is yearly fee that you need to pay in order to get updates

for your VMS.

Thanks.

I haven't bought it yet because I'm going to try and get BlueIris working with it because a) I already have the BlueIris license, b) I can have ACTi and Dahua on the same software. I was just providing the warning that if you buy NVR+, consider getting the USB key option. I'll PM you where to buy it from.

I haven't bought it yet because I'm going to try and get BlueIris working with it because a) I already have the BlueIris license, b) I can have ACTi and Dahua on the same software. I was just providing the warning that if you buy NVR+, consider getting the USB key option. I'll PM you where to buy it from.

Thanks man, really appreciate your help here!!!

Finally I found a VMS software that supports Dahua camera!!!

Just a quick FAQ of NVR+ software:

Who is the software designer of NVR+?

Linovision

Does Linovision make their own IP cameras?

No, they rebranded the original Dahua cameras

and place they own Linovision cameras. The VEC series

models are actually the Dahua equivalents and DS series

models are actually the Hikvisoin equivalents.

They only design the software to work Dahua cameras, and

some 3rd party brands. Including the Hikvision cameras.

What kind of IP camera does NVR+ supports?

It only support limited branded IP cameras:

Hikvision, dahua, axis, vivotek, launch, histream, wapa, Avtech, wision, Jufeng, etc

However, note, not all cameras model no. listed above supported by NVR+

You need to try it 1 by 1 to make sure while using trial software.

NVR+ also supports Dahua / Netvision DVR cards as well however, you need to buy

the Hybrid NVR+ dongle to support both anolgue CCTV cameras and IP

cameras.

When can you buy the NVR+ software?

Here is the link: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/NVR/900718_210998619.html

Which NVR+ license version should I buy?

Highly recommended to buy the Dongle USB key, because it

does not tied with the camera nor your PC hardware as

oppose with the soft license key.

What is the difference between VMS+ and NVR+.

In terms of dollar, very expensive to buy VMS+ = 10k -20K USD

In terms of the no. of supported camera channels = unlimited.

In terms of the scalability = Enterprise level.

What kind of support does Linovision NVR+ offer?

Just email support.

What is my personal experience with NVR+?

None so far. Have not fully test the program for software bugs. But honestly speaking,

am bit doubtful and skeptical the software is any better than other brand of VMS.

But given the benefit of doubt, I can really judge anything yet, unless I fully test it.

The only drawback is it does support ACTi cameras yet. Sigh.........

Thanks.

badgcoupe,

May I ask why you chose to use server software for motion detection and not the camera's MD? People keep saying that Milestone is a CPU "Hog", but they rarely ever specify whether they're using server side MD or relying on the camera. In my experience with Milestone, when using the camera's MD, CPU usage on the server is not what I would consider any more than any other VMS running in a similar mode.

I've seen Milestone Professional being run on an i7 server, 24GB RAM, and 10K enterprise class drives, hosting 32 cameras of mixed 1.3 - 4MP (ranging from 5 - 15 FPS) and not seeing CPU utilization above 30%. That figure will jump according to the number clients attached, viewing X number of cameras live and recorded playback.

But in my opinion, when set up correctly with decent cameras (that support MD), Milestone is not really that much more resource intensive than other major VMS systems. ExacqVision is the opposite - known for a minimum amount of system resources, but they support far fewer cameras than Milestone.

Hi badgcoupe,

Thanks for your input.

I just installed 4 Dahua's at my home and after trying Milestone, Avigilon, Exacq, Blueiris I settled with milestone.

It was rock solid in my testing, the price was right, their mobile client has been solid (aside from initially setting it up,) and the server side motion detection works well.

It is a bit of a CPU hog but on a Core i5 with 8GB RAM it's barely noticeable. The only time I notice it is on startup after a reboot or something.

I really liked the Avigilon software but unfortunately Dahua's motion detection is not supported... (yet, speaking with the tech folks at Avigilon they said if Dahua gets up to the latest version of ONVIF it should be supported.)

May I know which version Milestone Xprotect you are using to test your Dahua cameras? Xprotect Go??? or Essential???

Milestone Xprotect only support 1 model of Dahua camera, and that is the IP-HF3300P or a PAL version.

This is a 3MP camera, did you have 4 units of 3MP cameras tested using MS Xprotect at your home.

Also what is your Core i5 CPU usage in terms of % = 10% or 30 %??? when doing live monitoring on 4 x 3MP cameras +

software motion detection is enabled in MS Xprotect on 4 cameras?

Your answers is much appreciated.

Thanks.

I think there is reason why i7 CPU is the recommended of CCTV applications.

I think, it has something to do with the CPU instruction set that software developers use when

testing and designing VMS.

I think, there is a reason why the extra $$$ is required to pay for when comparing with

Quad Core2 CPU and i7 CPU. And I believe it is worth very penny of it.......if you want

something stable and do the job well[/color]

All the i3, i5, and i7 processors support SSE4.2, so it comes back to whether hyperthreading is important to the software when deciding between i5 and i7, since most i3s are only dual core.

I found quite a big improvement in CPU utilization going from a first gen i3 to a second gen i5, and the new 3rd gen have even better performance. My i5-2500k runs twice the MP at half the CPU utilization, compared to my i3-540. I don't have an i7 to test, but general benchmarks show that the i7 isn't a huge improvement over i5 unless the hyperthreading comes into play, so the software will determine that.

Hi MaxIcon,

I found quite a big improvement in CPU utilization going from a first gen i3 to a second gen i5, and the new 3rd gen have even better performance. My i5-2500k runs twice the MP at half the CPU utilization, compared to my i3-540. I don't have an i7 to test, but general benchmarks show that the i7 isn't a huge improvement over i5 unless the hyperthreading comes into play, so the software will determine that.

Thanks for sharing, ok, it look like the bottom line is.....

Whether your selected VMS supports hyperthreading or not.

If it does, then i7 CPU utilization will be lower than having a i5 CPU.

I am spoiled by Exacq at this point. For example I just logged into a system of mine to check the CPU usage on it after reading how bad some of these systems are. I wanted to compare it to a basic system on exacq. The computer is an i3 with 2gb of ram. Nothing special about that at all. With 16 analog cameras recording at D1 and 9 IP cameras, the IP cameras are two 4mp cameras @ 8fps and 7 1.3mp cameras @ 8fps. The system is running the web server, and the client is running in a quad rotation.

My cpu usage? 9% Ram usage? 45% Not bad at all, the cpu would go almost to 2-3% and spike as high as 16% but I think I can live with that lol.

Wish Dahua made cameras that were compatible, then again I've saved a ton on my actual computer so I can now spend it on more expensive cameras!