Toaster

How much would it cost me to go IP from Analog?

How much would it cost me to switch from Analog to IP Megapixel cameras?

I currently have a 8ch D1 30fps DVR with 8 cameras at my store. After having an incident where the footage resulted in no recognizable face shot, I'm considering adding or converting to Megapixel IP cameras.

If anyone would be willing to take the time to answer my question with a little information, links, maybe some specs to look for or kind of point me in the right direction as to what I may want.... I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

I agree. A hybrid DVR can record both analog and IP cameras. I bought a dahua hybrid for about 800.00 a few

weeks ago from Empire. It records 8 analog cameras at 960H which is higher than D1, and it can record

16 D1 IP cameras, or 8 720P IP cameras, or 4 1080P cameras. So, figure ballpark 800-900 for a hybrid, and 200-600 per IP camera. Than figure cat 5 wire and a POE switch. That should be all that you need to upgrade.

forget the dahua hybrid and no you cant above D1 recording from your cameras.

if you want to keep your budget low look at the aver nano 16. its a 16 way DVR that will also do 4MP cameras

3 or 5 mp for your car lot and 2mp for the other 3 mp. and you can add another 4 analog cameras

If your cameras are 700tvl's analog, than you CAN go 960h which is higher than D1.

no. you must use 960h cameras............ which means the op would have to spend money he does not need to.

Effio cameras are 960h and they are 700tvl's. D1 does not go up to 700tvl's. If what your saying is correct, and I'm wrong, than why does my customer who has the 960h dvr and Effio 700tvl cameras, the images look incredible?

Dahua hybrid either analog or 960h should give it away and not all effio cameras are 960h. Connecting his qsee will NOT up the resolution. He is stuck on the qsee camera output

Not all effios are, but 700tvl cameras are equivalent to 960h. He did not say in his first which cameras he had so I was only suggesting.

Honestly I think you have to ask yourself - how much is it going to cost me

in insurance premiums or insurance claims because someone sued for something

surveillance might have been able to discredit. I see news stories all the time like

man robs store and steals $50k in products but yet was only protected with a $1k analog solution.

Also not to mention bringing justice for an individual that has caused harm to someone in your store

because of a robbery. Make sure to get a lossless recording ip solution so what you see live is what

you see recorded which is not the case with DVR's which usually compress the images down to a lower resolution

then what was live so the quality is even less.

I would suggest 1 or 2mp IP cameras, maybe a 2 or 3mp outside (again i have no idea what your store is like

just guessing here).. You are probably looking at around $5500 for 1-2 MP cameras x 8 of them including

software licenses by someone, then another $1-2k for a workstation server..

again this is just ballpark guessing and just to give you a rough idea. But again, is it worth the $6k to be able

to make faces out, identifiable marks on a person and/or save your self from false claims.

just my .02

cliff

man robs store and steals $50k in products but yet was only protected with a $1k analog solution.

so 30 years of analog has never worked...... you can get face rec from analog

around $5500 for 1-2 MP cameras x 8 of them including

software licenses by someone, then another $1-2k for a workstation server..

even more reason to go hybrid...... 2k for pc....pay for licence........ hybrid all done.

Obviously being the guy paying, I like the cheaper idea of simply adding a couple of IP camera's in the "trouble" areas as tomcctv suggests. Spending $5000 right now (or anytime honestly) is a huge investment for any small business owner. I'll say this, I understand the justification especially from the guy's who sell, install and service this type of equipment for a living. Spending $5000 to $10000 on cctv surveillance is like having insurance. I get that.

I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I've seen some 720p kits for cheap... and of course seeing sample video's of HD vs SD would impress anybody, especially me after having an incident where I was unable to clearly make out the guys face who vandalized my parking lot. THIS THREAD

I'm also contemplating adding a better placed camera outside, the problem with that is, I've already had a bullet camera stolen right off the wall before, so strategically placing even a dome camera would mean placing it low enough that someone would be able to access it fairly easily, and then I risk getting a camera stolen - AGAIN!

I DON'T KNOW.. I'M SO CONFUSED!

My QT528 dvr is set up to send email alerts for video loss and motion during closed business hours. Which is how I discovered the guy stole the first camera at 5:20am last year.

What I'd like to be able to do is record 24/7, and still be able to search for motion events... which I have not been able to do, or I should say if its possible, I can't figure out how. Seems like my DVR either wants to record at the scheduled times (in my case 24/7) or based on motion. Yesterday we had an incident and I had to manually search the footage to find the event because it was during business hours (open) and I do not get email alerts at those times..

What I do is use VitaminD for events. You could easily set up a rule to email pics during the time when you are out for lunch. Axis can record with a VMS, or to SD using their free software. One of the nice things about IP cams is they are a lot more flexible with the software and what you can accomplish.

Remember vandel dones are only as good as their mounting.

While the camera may be protected from a baseball bat, if its small simple screws it's useless if it goes flying across the parking lot. Lag bolts through to the intr or other side of the block/wall will ensure the camera and mount wont go anywhere.

Also this time it was just some trash, god forbid he came back with bricks and friends to take whats inside that $5,000 seems

like chump change. If hes not caught he can continue repeating damage etc....

Myself, Two good Ip cameras outside and one good ip cam inside at min to cover and obtain facial recognition.