istvanszucs

HIKVISION DS7204-HVI-ST FTP backup

Dear all,

I have a Hikvision DS7204-HVI-ST, plus I have a NAS. I would like to make automatic timed backups from the DVR to the NAS. Since the Hikvision DS7204-HVI-ST runs an ftpd, and FTP clients as well I thought of doing it through FTP. Any clues on how it could be done?

Istvan

As far as I am aware, this option was not possible in this model.

In general, automatic external backup without user command was considered a security threat and was never applied to most DVR's.

How much would You like to back up? Whole day or just some parts?

What NAS are you running? If it is one with some linux distro you might be able to set up a cron job to do it, since you would need the NAS to have an ftp client. I do not think it will be easy, but if you are running one of the firmwares that supports ftp on the 7204 and your NAS has ftp client, you might be able to do it.

As far as I am aware, this option was not possible in this model.

In general, automatic external backup without user command was considered a security threat and was never applied to most DVR's.

How much would You like to back up? Whole day or just some parts?

Actually I would consider not having a backup to be a security threat.

What I want to do is sync up the most recent recordings by FTP. I have a motion detector to start the camera, so the amount of content wouldn't be too much.

But I find it impossible to identify when a recording was made from the file date. It looks like the files are just placeholders and the content gets changed in the back somehow.

What NAS are you running? If it is one with some linux distro you might be able to set up a cron job to do it, since you would need the NAS to have an ftp client. I do not think it will be easy, but if you are running one of the firmwares that supports ftp on the 7204 and your NAS has ftp client, you might be able to do it.

I have a small synology NAS. I did set up a cron job and that is running fine. I am just having trouble identifying what needs to be backed up. I took the old HDD I was using and formatted it. When I put it in the HikVision DVR it said it was unformatted (this I expected) but when I allowed it to format it the old file structure with the old recordings came back immediately. So beyond the fact that the file dates have nothing to do with the recording date, and that I couldn't find any way to discover the recording date, I couldn't even force the system to drop the old files, even through (quick) formatting. The device must be writing the sectors directly, circumventing the OS/FS

I have never connected a Hikvision HD to a computer or accessed it via FTP, so I have no idea on what file structure it uses. I would not find it strange that as soon as you "format" the HD, it all fills up with files from its own data structure. If the file dates/time on the files do not change, I really have no idea how you can tell what files have been changed/updated so they get backed up.

slightly depart from the initial issue )

there is a separate client to backup archives for windows OS

Remote Backup Software

1.1 Overview

The Remote Backup software is the client application specially developed for the video file backup from the remote

embedded DVR. It is also applicable to DVS with SATA hard disk, IP Camera and IP Dome with SD card.

1.2 Computer Disposition Request

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, Windows 7

CPU: Intel Pentium IV 2.4 GHz or models above

RAM: 1G or above

Display: 1024×768 resolution or above

Remote Backup Software v1.0 build 2010.01.07