Bigfreddieboy

Digital ZOOM Image of poor quality

Hi All,

I have had a CCTV system recently installed in my home.

I have 3 x Sony CAM620 WDR NiteDevil Camera's (600TVL, 0.00019 lux) with a Alieneko DVR, I am using my own monitor that I have with my home PC (iiyama 21inch).

However when I use the digital zoom facility (for example to read the number plate of my car in the drive) , the image quality is very poor and cannot make out the reg plate of my car, I assume this would also not show the face of an intruder clearly. I have used live play back and also a previous recording.

Can anyone point to an obvious solution, thank you.

In my opinion digital zoom is about as useful as a football bat or basketball cleats. It is a marketing ploy to make you think the camera has something more than just a fixed lens. The way digital zoom works (in simple terms) is to enlarge the pixels and stretching each one out. This means that by definition, you will lose quality. It is really no different than enlarging a picture in photoshop.

In my opinion digital zoom is about as useful as a football bat or basketball cleats. It is a marketing ploy to make you think the camera has something more than just a fixed lens. The way digital zoom works (in simple terms) is to enlarge the pixels and stretching each one out. This means that by definition, you will lose quality. It is really no different than enlarging a picture in photoshop.

Agree but,

if original has lots of pixels then it's very useful

Agree but,

if original has lots of pixels then it's very useful

Fair point... in megapixel cameras it does have some redeeming value. In anything less than 700TVL, it is 100000% useless.

Fair point... in megapixel cameras it does have some redeeming value. In anything less than 700TVL, it is 100000% useless.

Agree again

that why I do not sell Analog cameras

Below Avigilon 16 MP

just for fun

1.jpg.ecaa19200b41621fd41224e058f82f14.jpg

2.jpg.517d9f807538d638eece6e2a88710037.jpg

I saw some gigapixel stuff at ISC West that made my jaw drop. They did that same sort of demo, except it was from almost 2 miles away! Ok back on topic... I think this horse has been sufficiently beaten, let's call time of death and move on.

I saw some gigapixel stuff at ISC West that made my jaw drop. They did that same sort of demo, except it was from almost 2 miles away! Ok back on topic... I think this horse has been sufficiently beaten, let's call time of death and move on.

I agree with you.