Blake CCTV

blue iris has anyone used the full version

I would like to know if anyone has used a full version of blue iris software and used it for a good length of time. All comments welcome good or bad.

Thanks

I've been using it for 6 months or so now, and like it a lot. When I try other NVR demos, it really makes me appreciate the BI user interface. Here are some thoughts off the top of my head.

Pro:

- Great performance for the cost

- Lots of cameras supported, including most that use generic streams

- No per cam licenses required

- Good support from the developer, and good community support forum at cam-it.org

- Flexible, great user interface, easy to set up, lots of nice features

- Free 15 day trial of full version to figure out if it works for you, renewable as many times as you want. It puts a watermark across each video, but is otherwise identical to the full version.

Con:

- Bogs down with multiple MP cameras, requiring a more powerful CPU

- Search is not great, and skimming through a day or two of recordings can be tedious

- Frequent updates sometimes have glitches in them while fixing other issues. When I have a stable version running, I avoid updates until things are quiet at the support forum, and I always keep the last few stable versions on hand.

Neutral (depending on if you care or not):

- Not oriented toward commercial monitoring, like POS tracking, face recognition, etc

Overall, I'd give it 5 stars for being an awesome $50 NVR program. If you want more commercial features or super strong search, you'll have to pony up more money. I don't think there's anything else that compares to it for under $100.

Thanks have you tried vitamin D

I agree with Max's assesment of BI. Very good for what it is. Biggest limitation is that there is no effective multi-camera playback.

Vitamin D is essentially an end of life product. IIRC the developers bought it from the company after the company closed. They have stated on their web site that there is no ongoing development. If it does what you want, great. If it does not, do expect to see any features added.